costume jewelry

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old costume jewelry may have real stones in it, or it could not be costume at all and just unmarked.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've made pretty good money before on old costume jewelry, as long as it's signed (for the most part). Certain names will get you higher prices. There is vintage unsigned jewelry that will get good money but you really have to know what your looking at as far as quality goes, construction, stones etc.. Early Carnegie stuff is unmarked for instance. I have a nice set of unmarked stuff right now that will get pretty good money considering what I paid for it.

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

From time to time I see a lot of costume jewelry. Is there any money in it? Is it worth the time to learn about it? Anyone have any success with it here? I'm just looking for some different kind of treasure. Thanks

Its not only the signed costume jewelry, but it's "what else" you run across while you're looking through costume jewelry. Plated silver has a look about it, like it's wet, and sterling silver tarnishes so it has a look, but both can actually be White Gold. At one upscale neighborhood-wide day of garage sales, I paid $3 for long chain with a "pukey" looking pendant. The chain was stamped 18kt....

Buy costume jewelry only if you collect it or have a market to buy what you find. We bag our costume jewelry and resell it at our garage sales and then sell the sterling and gold to a refiner. Three years ago, I had $250 in a package of silver and some gold. Got a check back for $2,003.00 I used to buy my 24 volt battery solar panel system components. I haven't sold any in the last several years due to the unstable economic outlook....

Last edited:

isabella1

Mar 2, 2013
It's really worth looking into learning the different types. I have a pretty good idea what to look for when I go out. Not just costume like trifari or coro but also semi precious stones or gemstones. The real turquoise or coral. You can do really well with that stuff. Knowing what old unmarked sterling is can make a good day out! I learned really from looking at a ton of completed listings on eBay and Spending a lot of time in the antique stores just studying and taking it all it. One of the best ones of ever had was at the flea market from this know it all guy selling jewelry. He wanted $25 for this necklace wouldn't budge on price said it was worth every penny $25. I bought it from him on the way out he started laughing I asked him what was so funny. He said he made a $20 profit on that necklace. I sold it for $600! It was unmark sterling silver with turquoise inlay designer signed Margot de taxco. I went back to his booth the following weekend used the $600 and bought out all his jewelry. Sold it online for over $3000.00. I went back and bought a keychain from him and I laughed on the way out. He asked what was so funny, I told him he had the best jewelry ever, I wish he had more!! i cannot tell you how many times I picked up jewelry for a low price and flipped it for a lot more . Sometimes I my be wrong and it's not worth alot. But rarely I don't spend a lot anyways. I have not sold any gold or silver for about 2 years now, unless I can make $50 more then what I paid for it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread