"Explosion of the Maine" print

SweetDesigns

Greenie
Aug 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been a lurker for some time, finally registered. I have been enjoying this site very much and it has given me some fresh ideas.
I found this old print "Explosion of the Maine" copywrited 1898 # 8025 Muller Luchsinger & Co New York. I paid $1 for this print at a local garage sale. It is roughly framed and the print does have some damage issues like some tears in the corners and foxing. Colour is still good. Very unusual find for my area. I have been unable to find a value. Since this print is Americana history, there will be little interest in my usual Canadian venues. Any ideas for values and presenting to an American market would be greatly appreciated. Having trouble posting pics. IMG_0004.jpg IMG_0002.jpg IMG_0005.jpg IMG_0003.jpg

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very cool - is there a name under that guys head ?

OP
OP
S

SweetDesigns

Greenie
Aug 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The name under the portrait is Captain C B Sigsbee

Last edited:

Mekong Mike

Jul 22, 2013
Vietnam, Saigon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice post. The spanish american war spanned the globe from cuba, puerto rico, to the philippines. and maybe a few other places.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
To me, it's a damaged print by an unnamed artist, and inferior to the more popular image of the incident as shown below. Personally, (and I'm no expert, by any means), I'd pass on any price offered.
Don....
maine.jpg

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Spanish American war gave the us all Spanish holdings outside of Europe and Africa...

the Maine self destructed by salt water entering a coal bunker...situated next to the ammo magazine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread