Item Not Received Case Opened Up Against Me. How will Ebay Rule This One?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I sold those Lenox Crystal stem Champagne flutes for $120 shipping included. If you don't remember here they are- http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/g...ampagne-flutes-made-turkey-nice-surprise.html

attachment.php

Anyway, I printed out a label via Ebay shipping and mailed it off. Unbeknownst to me, the buyer sent a message to me and my wife read it but forgot to tell me about it before I mailed the item off. In the message the buyer wanted me to ship the item to her "new" address. Of course it got shipped to her old (Ebay/Paypal listed) address. So now she's all po'd demanding her money back because I shipped it to the wrong address. I am refusing her refund because I feel I did nothing wrong. The item was shipped to the address she has listed on ebay. If I had known she wanted it shipped to her supposed new address I would have told her that I cannot do it until she changes her shipping address through ebay. The item was sent insured with tracking and showed as delivered. Case was opened on Aug. 27 and is still open. How do you think Ebay will rule on this one?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you're fine because sending state to state don't you only have to show tracking and confirmed delivery for a sale in that amount? No signature? That's really the only question I see. Different rules apply to me sending to the US, which is why I'm not sure about this.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you're fine because sending state to state don't you only have to show tracking and confirmed delivery for a sale in that amount? No signature? That's really the only question I see. Different rules apply to me sending to the US, which is why I'm not sure about this.
Correct, signature only if $250 or more. Also, if I would have sent it to her new address it would not have been covered under seller protection because it was not her ebay listed address. She should have updated her information prior to purchasing. That's the way I read into it anyway.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Correct, signature only if $250 or more. Also, if I would have sent it to her new address it would not have been covered under seller protection because it was not her ebay listed address. She should have updated her information prior to purchasing. That's the way I read into it anyway.

That's what I thought, and see no reason how you could lose this one. If people are too stupid or lazy to change their address a missing package is on them.

choppadude

Dec 23, 2012
Twin Tiers NY
Detector(s) used
XP Deus X2, CTX 3030, E Trac, T2, AT Pro, AKA Sorex, Makro Kruzer, Minelab GP3500, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been selling on Ebay for a dozen years and am here to tell you that you did the right thing by shipping to the Paypal confirmed address. If you would have sent it to any other address then you would have been screwed. It might take a little time but it will get straightened out.
I would respond to the complaint via eBay and make sure that you state in your response that the item was shipped to the confirmed address as is required under eBay policy.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you were right. I just had a buyer that told me to hold off shipping a detector, he wanted it shipped to his brother here in Florida. I told him no problem, he just needed to add his brother's address to his ebay account. He decided he wanted it shipped to his address after all.

The buyer may get refunded under ebay's protection plan, but it shouldn't go against you as you followed policy.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Dig,

I think you have a 50/50 shot at winning this thing.

Not long ago, I heard other sellers complaining that they lost cases like this one. Seems that ebay didn't want any buyer to go unhappy, so they sided with the buyer in every case.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dig,

I think you have a 50/50 shot at winning this thing.

Not long ago, I heard other sellers complaining that they lost cases like this one. Seems that ebay didn't want any buyer to go unhappy, so they sided with the buyer in every case.

I wouldn't believe anything without knowing the situation because there's a million people who cry about ebay and often times they are wrong.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just figured out how to escalate the case to Ebay. This is my first experience of this type. I'll fill you in when a decision is rendered.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Digs, sorry to hear about this one...

IMO, I would never send to any address other than Paypal confirmed. That being said, if ever faced with this situation, I would probably call ebay and ask what to do prior to sending. Stuff happens, lesson learned.

Unfortunately, I don't know ebay's written policy on this type of thing. Have you combed through seller protection policy to see if it specifically states that only paypal confirmed addresses are covered?

I would say you are in the right here but I feel you have a 50/50 on this one. I wish you the best of luck!:icon_thumright:

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as you sent the item to the address on the Paypal payment, have delivery confirmation, you should be covered by seller protection.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This is what I am thinking. fleeBay does not like sellers, even if the rules do point in your direction.

Can't this br__d just go to her old address and ask for the package?

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very interesting, I just had this problem but was on the other end. I've been selling stuff on ebay since I moved from TX a few years ago, but apparently I hadn't bought anything until now and my shipping address wasn't updated. anyways I ordered some cookware, about ~65 total including shipping. didn't show up, did some research and found out what happened. I contacted the seller, and he contacted UPS. anyways after several days, it turns out the people who live at my old address were not responded to any calls from UPS. apparently the had just decided to keep the free gift? a-holes if you ask me. I asked for a refund from the seller but he reasonably stated that he was only shipping to the certified address paypal had given him, and therefore it wasn't his fault. I think that's a fine response, the mixup was completely my fault, I simply didn't double check my address. We worked it out by him giving me another item at cost which was about half price. so I ended up paying 150% of the cost. I had people telling me to claim ignorance and demand a refund or another item for free, but I don't think that's the way to go. I know there are good guys like you on the other end just trying to make a buck, and what's fair is fair. whoever is at fault should claim responsibility and accept the consequences. Of course, as in my case, it doesn't hurt if the seller decides to give a bit to make things a bit better. in you're case though since it's a unique item you can't really resolve it the way we did.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is what I am thinking. fleeBay does not like sellers, even if the rules do point in your direction.

Can't this br__d just go to her old address and ask for the package?

It's 180 miles from her old address. I did however get a response from ebay. Here is what they said-

Case Closed: Issue resolved

You don't need to do anything else.

eBay Customer Support has made a final decision and the case is closed.Sep 04, 2013 at 12:28 PM

eBay Customer Support comments:
The buyer didn't provide a valid shipping address when they bought the item. You don't need to do anything else. Because we decided in your favor, this case, any feedback left, and all detailed seller ratings left, will not affect your seller performance. In addition, any feedback left for this transaction will be removed. Note: It may take up to 24 hours for these updates to reflect in your Seller Dashboard.
Final decision:
This case was found in your favor.
Transaction information:
Any remaining funds from this PayPal transaction are available. View PayPal transaction

You have escalated the case to eBay Customer Support.Sep 04, 2013 at 4:23 AM

The buyer has responded to you.Aug 28, 2013 at 7:42 PM

You have responded to the buyer with tracking information.Aug 28, 2013 at 3:29 PM

The buyer has responded to you.Aug 28, 2013 at 9:32 AM

You have responded to the buyer with tracking information.Aug 27, 2013 at 1:53 PM

The buyer opened a case: Item not receivedAug 27, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Exactly, this was an easy one. Ebay has it's guidelines clearly set forth and the people who post saying ebay sides with the buyer don't seem to understand when it's a black or white answer you can basically always pick the outcome. This was about as open and shut as a case can be. And had he sent it to the other address and had no protection it would have gone the other way... it's as simple as that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread