Ebay: Broken Jewelry Lots

isabella1

Mar 2, 2013
I was for a while buying this crap sterling silver lots and reselling some of the good jewelry if I knew ahead of time it was worth more than scrap. I did buy one I think I paid $125 for the lot and to the bracelets were alpaca and not real silver. I emailed the seller told them and they replied to mail the whole lot back! Well, I Gotten down to the two last pieces and one of them was a bracelet, it was 18 K white gold!! This was when gold was 1900 and the bracelet scrapped around $450. I emailed the seller and told her I was wrong and that be glad to keep the whole lot! So sometimes I would buy them but it's been a while since I have.

Grandma

Jul 15, 2013
southwestern New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I buy them but not for scrap anymore. For me it's fun to see which ones I can repair myself. Others I will make into entirely different pieces of jewelry. I have then sold these individually on ebay and at local craft shows, and in large ebay lots of wearable or repairable or junk lots. I probably make very little money on them, but this is one of my main hobbies that I do just because I love it. Some lots are really nice, but there are always some bad ones, too. Years ago I was taken really bad by an ebayer - $1500 worth of total junk, and ebay at that time at least would not force him to take it back and refund my money. Since then I steer clear of buying just for supposed "gold" and "silver" and buy what I think I can personally rehab. Hopefully others have had better luck.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll put it this way, when I start listing my junk jewelry lots, rest assured there will be NO pm's in them whatsoever (marked or unmarked), with the exception of maybe some gold plated stuff (not gold filled).

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
No point for me. I buy lots of (good!) jewellery for melt at the local coin/bullion shop near me and then flip that on eBay. Spent $120 on Saturday and I've already made back that selling some charms on eBay (that cost me like $30 total!) plus I got some more English silver for my collection (London Souvenir Spoon hallmarked to 1892) along with some foreign silver and some mercs.

Search the local scrap that would be sent to the refiners! There's lots of stuff worth many multiples of melt that goes for melt!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread