Money Makers and a Keeper

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
I hit a few garage sales Saturday morning. Here are my finds:

This is a 1/2 ton manual chain hoist made in Japan. Used but works great. These sell new for $200 and up. With the hoist I got 20 feet of heavy chain that sells new for $3 - $4 per foot plus a small collection of hooks and shackles. I paid $10 for the lot.
DSC01058.JPG

Black & Decker Sawcat circular saw. This looks like a typical circular saw but it isn't. Most typical circular saws these days use a 7.25" blade. This one uses an 8" blade. Saws this size sell new (if you can find one) for about $200. This is an older unit made in the USA back when America built stuff to LAST. This sucker is HEAVY and sports a powerful 12 amp motor. It runs great and came with two blades and a steel case. I paid $20.
DSC01067.JPG

I took a flyer on this. It is an old German reel-to-reel tape deck made by Telefunken. I bought it because I know a lot of really good equipment was made in Germany and vintage reel-to-reel decks can sell for HUGE money. There isn't much on ebay by this maker but a fully restored Telefunken deck (similar to mine but a different model) recently sold for around $800. Mine doesn't work and isn't in the best shape but, at $5.00, the price was right so I took a flyer on it.
DSC01012.JPG

But below is my favorite buy in the past few months. This was one of the first things I saw at my first stop. I asked the lady running the sale what it was used for. She didn't know and said it belonged to her mother. Mom was in the house so she went and got her. She came out to talk to me. She said her late husband used to make moonshine up in Tennessee and that this was an old oak moonshine whiskey barrel that holds about 2 gallons of 'shine. I asked her how much she wanted for it... $3.00! SOLD! Then she went over to the other side of the garage, grabbed another one (which I had not seen) and said, "Here, you might as well take this one too." The second one is missing the bung plug and a couple of the bands are loose but it is still a VERY cool piece. I think this has a great look to it and I love the fact that it has a carry handle on it. I looked for things like this on ebay and found a few similar ones which sold for $60 - $100 each. I love it and will probably keep it in my personal collection.
DSC01026.JPG DSC01027.JPG DSC01028.JPG

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
love those shine barrels. those will sell real well on ebay but the shipping will cost a fortune. Do they smell like whiskey on the inside. did you even get a shot out of the closed one?

OP
OP
T

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
The barrels do sell very well on ebay - probably no more than $100 each. Shipping wouldn't be that expensive (about $15) because they are relatively small. They are only about 18" long and hold maybe 2 gallons. With the handle, they are sort of like a moonshine lunch bucket. 8-) There is no smell at all. I suspect there hasn't been any white lightning in them for a long, long time.

OP
OP
T

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
UPDATE: I sold one of the two kegs I bought. Had it listed on ebay for $75 BIN/Best Offer. Somebody offered me $55. I had hoped to get a little more but since I only paid $3 for two kegs, I ain't complaining! I'm keeping the other one for my private collection just because I think it is cool looking.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions