Lafitte Deux

Jan 19, 2012
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not many sales around here lately.
But, I did find this old Macintosh at an estate sale today. The ladies running it didn't know what a Macintosh computer was.
I paid 4 whole dollars for it. They didn't know if it worked or not, so I took a chance.
I just need to clean off the old finger smudges and dust. Not pictured is the Stylewriter 2 printer that came with it.

24 megs of ram and a 300 meg hard drive, that's some serious computing power!
( I admit that I had one of these. One of my first computers. It was the top of the line back then.)

OldMac_11a.jpg

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
To say that buying a "yard-sale computer" changed my life would be an understatement. It made me who I am today. Life-changing moments aren't always about being in a car wreck or winning the lottery. I don't expect this old Apple will change your life, but you sharing your find triggered an old memory. Thanks for that.

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You gotta elaborate on that batcap. Can't leave us hanging like that. Did you find an Apple One? Because that would be amazing!

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
It was a TI-99/4A, but that isn't important. It turned my mind toward computers just before they really started to take off. I didn't know what to do with my life before, but since 1991 it slowly became 'what I do for a living'. Thus I found my first and biggest treasure at a yard sale. I just sold some $40 yard sale speakers on eBay for over $1500, but that hardly registers as a blip by comparison.
You gotta elaborate on that batcap. Can't leave us hanging like that. Did you find an Apple One? Because that would be amazing!

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Laffite,

What is the value of that Mac...and how old is it?

Looks nice and clean. Great find!!!

OP
OP
Lafitte Deux

Lafitte Deux

Jan 19, 2012
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Laffite,

What is the value of that Mac...and how old is it?

Looks nice and clean. Great find!!!

I think it's around a 1993-94 model.
These go anywhere from $20 for just the hard drive to above $150 if complete and in nice working condition.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
It was a TI-99/4A, but that isn't important. It turned my mind toward computers just before they really started to take off. I didn't know what to do with my life before, but since 1991 it slowly became 'what I do for a living'. Thus I found my first and biggest treasure at a yard sale. I just sold some $40 yard sale speakers on eBay for over $1500, but that hardly registers as a blip by comparison.

I think you have everyone's attention. If you care to share, please let us know more about what you do and more about those speakers too.

Nov 17, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love it, I have come across many vintage computers in my travels. I am trying to get consecutive computer generations. Right now I have a Commodore 16, 64, Tandy 1000, Ibm model 50 PS/2, Amiga 2000, 75 MHZ packard bell, Compaq Pentium 1, IBM pentium 1, IBM pentium II for my personal collection. Any spares I come across I sell. The only mac I have right now is a Apple IIe peripherals, still need the system.

FC-Treasure

Sep 9, 2011
Northern VA
As BatCap alluded to, doing computer stuff for a living is like taking part in the latest gold rush. I was talking to a friend of mine recently and we both agreed that we both got extremely lucky to be computer programmers during the age of the Internet and smartphones. It reminds me of the other great opportunities throughout our countries history. The California Gold Rush, the Alaskan Gold Rush, The Industrial Revolution, The building of the Transcontinental railroad, etc. Anyone who is suitably motivated with the right skill set has an opportunity to make a fortune.

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
I'm only a help desk technician, but it's what I like to do - fix computers and help people with their problems. Before I got into computers I didn't know what I was going to do with myself - couldn't find anything I enjoyed as employment. That all I was talking about. And as long as this thread is fading into obscurity, here are the speakers:
Pair Altec Lansing 604E Speakers with Factory Crossovers 16 Ohm Great Shape | eBay

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I was 12 years old in 1976 and I wanted a computer so bad I could spit. I spent my time at a radio shack programing basic into a trash80. I could never get my parents to see the point of getting a computer or taking Saturday programming classes. o.0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread