porcelain and marble mysteries from thrift shop

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hi all,

long time browser, first time poster. here are some recent thrift shop finds:

the porcelain (?) boy stands 12" tall and is marked 1958 on the back, with a small "SG" signature and "36" engraving on the bottom. appears to be in a French Revolutionary motif. do not believe it is valuable, but craftsmanship is good and i would like to know more about this piece. would like to give it to an artist friend as a gift if i can get some interesting backstory on it. anyone?

the marble (?) bust i do not believe to be original, probably a duplicate made by pouring paste made with marble powder into a mould, as there are seams across the back and sides indicative of some kind of casting process. there is an almost illegible signature (possibly just scratches) that seems to read "JD" on the bottom. he is 5 1/2" tall from base to top of head, similar in style and coloration to this one: http://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/10735545_jd-perry-marble-bust -- but again, almost certainly not original. any idea who it is supposed to depict? i originally thought a composer, but cannot find a match, and his expression and style of dress seem to point toward more of a politician or businessman, late 19th Century. question: was making this kind of duplicate even feasible in the late 19th Century?

the small dishes measure about 3" across. was thinking they were ashtrays, but they are a bit shallow to be useful as such. some kind of condiment tray? i am thinking 1920's in terms of period, the designs on the bottom are Victorian but are printed on newsprint and varnished in. i have seen similar work on 1920's pieces. got them for $1/piece, could probably get $20 for the set if i can lock down some specifics. they are hand signed M.E.C. on the bottom.

sorry to be exhausting with questions, but these have been perplexing me for a while, and this forum has been a great resource in the past. i usually buy and flip modern designer clothes and electronics, so these are outside my area of expertise.

thanks guys!

-- gino

photo (1).JPG

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
Welcome to TN. I am thinking your bust is of Wm McKinley. Hard to tell though as it is very small in your pic. I know nothing of the values though, sorry.

T.

OP
OP
G

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks clad! that is a good guess, it does look quite a bit like other McKinley busts i've been able to research. probably a mass-produced commemorative item, but would be cool if it were some kind of period campaign tool or souvenir. here is a closer pic:

photo (1).JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread