2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Know it's a copy but still curious what it's a copy of. Any one know? It came in an old sewing box of stuff.

image-3910117949.jpg

image-1739054421.jpg

image-3949877332.jpg

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Initial thought: Lycian (about 500BC) Silver 'obol'.
Or from Gela, in Sicily
Don.....
PS: Here are some other possibilities: Help dating coin.............
Closer yet: Tetradrachm c. 480-470, AR 17.09 g. Slow quadriga r.; horses crowned by Nike. Rev. Forepart of man-headed bull

Last edited:
OP
OP
2Minnesota

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you! I would've never known where to start. I wonder if there is a market for copies?!?

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
If you do choose to sell it, you may wish to enhance the perceived value with some background history as if the cion were real. You could say it is a copy of a Greek silver tetradrachm of Gela (Sicily), an cxceptional Man-headed Bull on the reverse. The original's weight was about 17.5 grams.This copy portrays Nike flying left to crown horses. On the reverse is written ΓEΛAΣ , the Greek word for Geles, Italy. The charioteer is driving a walking quadriga (four horses) right, holding kentron in right hand, reins in both; Nike flying above crowning horse's, palmette with tendrils in exergue.

Although the Gelas was a Creto-Rhodian foundation of the seventh century BC, the name of the river and later the city is of local Sicanian origin, meaning very cold, as the water is, running from the Heraei mountains to the north.

The rather brutal half-length figure of the man-faced bull swimming right is based on the 'father of all rivers', Achelous, and is clearly identified by the ethnic Gelas as the personification of the river rushing to its mouth, where the city Gela stood.

Some description like (in your own words) that might generate a few bucks more of value.
Don.....

knownothing

Tenderfoot
Dec 5, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just found one of those as well 2Minnesota. Did you ever find if there's any value?

snowdogg70

Jun 23, 2011
burlington ontario
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 bounty hunter 2200's garrett at pro 2 garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
copy or conterfiets are against law to own/sell ebay will remove it with a warning if you list it

Last edited:

snowdogg70

Jun 23, 2011
burlington ontario
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2 bounty hunter 2200's garrett at pro 2 garrett pro pointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the reason why copy is no longer allowed is because you can tumble something like a 1916d american dime till its a g4 and the word copy will be gone and someone can be tricked into buying it as real
ebay will emove any coins labeled as copy if they are reported

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread