Thrift store hires new jewelry lady!

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thrift store that I always buy stuff at hired a new lady to Check and price their jewelry. So I go in today and meet her for the first time. And the other clerk there tells her I buy stuff to sell online. Not that I care that she told her that. The new lady tells me her name is Jill and she's been doing jewelry for her whole entire life. So I introduced myself and said nice to meet you and had them pull out a bag of jewelry that was in the case. She told me I won't find anything good in there she already checked it. And I said okay I'll take it I want to see how good you are! Now I'm 33 years old and I can see every mark on every piece of jewelry no matter what. Jill on the other hand was a nice lady however she's got about 40 years on me. So I'm thinking Jill's eyes are going a little. Next time I go in there I'll be sure to tell her she was right and there was nothing in the bag! There's nothing exceptional in here however for six dollars there's no complaints either.

image-519037321.jpg

image-231446006.jpg

image-1666799426.jpg

The first pile Sterling. The bracelet is Sterling also. And the pearls are fake but the clasp is 18k gold. And there some other pieces of jewelry that are a decent resale!

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like you've got a pretty good set up. :) I've got a thrift store that I've been going to semi-regularly, but they seem to get smarter the more I go. At first it seemed like everything that I found was completely missed. Now I find them marking up sterling rings to $20 and earrings to $15. Luckily I take advantage of sales & discounts they offer.. :occasion14:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Jill! :icon_thumright: LOL, I got a nose for silver too. Seems I can smell it from across the room! :laughing7:

Doesn't it seem strange to have an 18k clasp on a string of fake pearls?

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you know the pearls are fake ? :icon_scratch: :dontknow:

Nice haul, they can't get everything. :icon_thumleft:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:dontknow:

If I wanted to sell a string of fake pearls for a lot more than their value, I'd put an 18k clasp on 'em. Then again rice crispies aren't worth much more than fake pearls and they'd probably get more profit/buyers being as they are genuine..

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry. I meant to put 14k not 18k. But I find these clasps rather often. The pearls have a coating over them. But there not real. They are probably from the 1940s. But I seem to get $25 for the clasps so I'm happy with that.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did they hand knot the fake pearls also? I'm just wondering. Maybe what I'm really asking is would someone ever not hand knot a string of real pearls on a necklace?

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did they hand knot the fake pearls also? I'm just wondering. Maybe what I'm really asking is would someone ever not hand knot a string of real pearls on a necklace?

Hey were handknotted but they were chipping. Almost like there was some kind of layering overtop of them. I got $25 just for the clasp.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread