How many ebay listings can you create in an hour or day?

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I spent the majority of yesterday only working on ebay listings, and while I am satisfied that they are all listed correctly with good descriptions, I am disappointed that we don't get more listed in a day's time.

We focused mostly on high end stuff, mostly vintage items with $100+ value. Showing the condition is key to these listings.

On some listings, we can fly through those. I listed some $10 wrenches and a sealed DVD in lightning speed. But a $100 vintage and unusual book took me 40 minutes from start to finish, mostly describing the condition and the contents of the book.

I've got to figure out how to speed up my listing time on vintage items, while giving good descriptions...and without jeopardizing my top rated status and 5.0 DSR's.

How long does it take you to list?

How many listings can you get completed in an hour?

DiggerDave in Pa.

Jan 12, 2011
Huntingdon County Pa.
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
That's a good question. I'd say not enough. Typing the descriptions takes a long time if you don't know how to type. I'm more of a hoarder type and hate selling but I'm running out of space and extra $ is always nice. DDinPA.

mjlalt

Jul 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thing I did to speed up my listings was to change my camera to store pictures at 3 megapixels
This made picture uploads almost instant.

mjlalt

Jul 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have also thought of using Speech to Text software , so I can "write" my listings while taking photos.

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Thank you for the replies so far.

I just listed a simple part for a kitchen appliance for $16. Total time spent: about 4 minutes.

I wish all the listings were that fast!!!!

deserdog

May 17, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It all depends if you have to start from scratch, take all the pics, load them, edit them, then write descriptions. For example, if I have a bunch of similar items, no the same, but similar. after the first listing is done I can just create a similar and just change the specifics. But if each item is unique, then it can take awhile.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm lucky when it comes to this because most of my items don't really need a description more than the subject line. Most I don't have to change the shipping, and I've been doing it so long I've found little ways to make it quicker. To answer the question... I can do 60 per hour (not counting the pictures of course). One night a few years back I sat down and did over 300, and that week I had over 700 on. That said, I know I'm quick enough at what I do but I know the type of stuff you guys list and it would take me just as long on that, or longer. As I said before my profit % for most items is lower than what most have on here so I make my money by volume and not buying really low and selling really high... but obviously I do that when I can. And when you make your money that way, you get faster!

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We divide the labor. Describers, photographers, listers. Actual listing is done overseas at a cheap rate.

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
We divide the labor. Describers, photographers, listers. Actual listing is done overseas at a cheap rate.

Very interesting...I have never heard of outsourcing by an ebay seller. Care to expand on this?

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I'm lucky when it comes to this because most of my items don't really need a description more than the subject line. Most I don't have to change the shipping, and I've been doing it so long I've found little ways to make it quicker. To answer the question... I can do 60 per hour (not counting the pictures of course). One night a few years back I sat down and did over 300, and that week I had over 700 on. That said, I know I'm quick enough at what I do but I know the type of stuff you guys list and it would take me just as long on that, or longer. As I said before my profit % for most items is lower than what most have on here so I make my money by volume and not buying really low and selling really high... but obviously I do that when I can. And when you make your money that way, you get faster!

I've shared that I've been buying and flipping tools on ebay, IP syle.

I've been able to use the 'relist' button on new listings, and the listing only took me about 3 minutes total, not including photos. This is an easy way to make money, and I wish that I had 100 different other things to buy and flip on ebay.

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure thing. Use a general services company in a developing country with a large English speaking population. We use India. They will manage everything remotely. Cost is 8 cents to 30 cents per listing depending on volume.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure thing. Use a general services company in a developing country with a large English speaking population. We use India. They will manage everything remotely. Cost is 8 cents to 30 cents per listing depending on volume.

I really can't wrap my brain around how this works because so much of ebay is not just what you sell, but how you sell it. I could never make close to what I do out-sourcing it. I also still don't understand exactly what they do for you, because it seems you would have to do just about everything anyway, which seems like you'd have to spend the time. You have to take the pics, have to give them the info., so what is the benefit?

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure thing. Use a general services company in a developing country with a large English speaking population. We use India.
But you still have to write, photograph, pick catagory, decide on start price and then all this sent to India. don't things ever get mixed up? I would think all the coordinating would take longer than the listing process.

As far as their English goes, my wife once took an English class from an Indian national she had trouble understanding the lady. Others quit the class because they could not understand her either.

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's the division of labor that makes it work. 1 person photographs. 1 person does titles. All sent to India where actual listings are created. The efficiencies realized are incredible.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions