Help! Harry Bird Vernon Kilns California Pottery 1935-37 Olinala-Aztec Plate+14K Pin

Isayhello2u

Sep 15, 2006
california
Primary Interest:
Other
yep Sorry i am off on prices on the orange but then i did not know orange was more rare. i did say that it was my uneducated opinion.
which is why i have not tried to sell the harry bird plates i have.
what i have are the smaller plates (some are salad plate size {6 inch?} some are smaller dessert plates or bread roll? they all have different flowers no two the same. i think all the flowers are native to California.
I do not want to do the ebay thing so what i really need is a reputable dealer in southern California. and a clue as to what my asking price should be. I did make an inquiry at a antique store but they said they wanted two thirds of what ever they sold them for and they got to set the prices. i hope a dealer would work for a smaller commission / percentage.

OP
OP
inspectorgadget

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yep Sorry i am off on prices on the orange but then i did not know orange was more rare. i did say that it was my uneducated opinion.
which is why i have not tried to sell the harry bird plates i have.
what i have are the smaller plates (some are salad plate size {6 inch?} some are smaller dessert plates or bread roll? they all have different flowers no two the same. i think all the flowers are native to California.
I do not want to do the ebay thing so what i really need is a reputable dealer in southern California. and a clue as to what my asking price should be. I did make an inquiry at a antique store but they said they wanted two thirds of what ever they sold them for and they got to set the prices. i hope a dealer would work for a smaller commission / percentage.

Ya I realize you were just guestimating & if it were blueish, greenish or greyish you might have been close. Usually the smaller the item the less it's worth but not always. Are your plates on the Vernon-ware identification web site? Are they inlaid glaze type or just regular glaze? Know the dates their from? Got any pix of them?

Isayhello2u

Sep 15, 2006
california
Primary Interest:
Other
Right now my computer has a problem. it will not upload any photos/files to the internet. could be the computer could be the isp connection. im not going to mess with it until a project im working on is done (meanwhile i copy photo files to a drive and take to a public computer if i need to upload.) anway the salad and roll plates are all marked on back with Bird Pottery Patent pending and the name of the flower on the plate. with out the vernon kilns name but are from vernon kilns) the larkspur is the same pattern as the Large plate being sold on ebay. they are all back in a deep closet so i dont have a list handy but some i remember are eucalyptus and trumpet flower looked at the online gallery 1935-1937 i know i have a begonia and a birds eye, cassia, chinese lantern, Iris etc etc.

actually i dont know if they are inlaid glaze how do i tell.

Last edited:
OP
OP
inspectorgadget

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Right now my computer has a problem. it will not upload any photos/files to the internet. could be the computer could be the isp connection. im not going to mess with it until a project im working on is done (meanwhile i copy photo files to a drive and take to a public computer if i need to upload.) anway the salad and roll plates are all marked on back with Bird Pottery Patent pending and the name of the flower on the plate. with out the vernon kilns name but are from vernon kilns) the larkspur is the same pattern as the Large plate being sold on ebay. they are all back in a deep closet so i dont have a list handy but some i remember are eucalyptus and trumpet flower looked at the online gallery 1935-1937 i know i have a begonia and a birds eye, cassia, chinese lantern, Iris etc etc.

actually i dont know if they are inlaid glaze how do i tell.

The glaze is quite puffy & is raised higher than the rest of the plate. Should say inlaid glaze on the back too but since the Vernon Kilns was left off then maybe the inlaid glaze part was left off as well.

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sold for $44.99. I had a couple of Fenton hand painted pitchers that I gave to the neighbors as Xmas gifts when I saw how low they were selling. I've had a chance to go to the Fenton factory (there is a trip back in time) and there is no shortage of people 65+ lining up at the register to pay $120 or more for what is on ebay for $20 now. I probably have 4 or 5 more Fenton pieces that I'm probably only spiteing myself by not listing. I was thinking about trying etsy because seems like if its not cranberry its not doing well on ebay. the one<http://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/c1911-fenton-carnival-glass-c-blue-peacock-urn-plate> $1200.

Isayhello2u

Sep 15, 2006
california
Primary Interest:
Other
inlaid glaze as that is what the patent pend. means on the back
so you inspired me to get them out of the closet and start asking around the internet
if you are still looking up worthpoint id be curious about ""vernon kilns harry bird pottery plate GUATAMOTE""
[h=2]i have uploaded some photos to my flickr photo account. makes it easier to delete photos later if they are all in one spot.[/h]0IMG_1594 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
00IMG_1593 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
00IMG_1591 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
00IMG_1589 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Last edited:

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$56 for the bread plate. thats all i saw. you have a gold mine. Do I get a cut?:dontknow:

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well i do like coffee. :coffee2:

I would ask the inspector if he wants to buy them and sell them to that dealer that contacted him. :icon_thumright:

I'm still generally searching for the solution to a similar problem myself. Which is how to sell a few sets of china. It seems to get the most out of it most people sell it one piece at the time. Or group of bread plates, group of dinner plates, etc. Although thats not what I wanted to hear either. But sometimes as the case with the inspectorgadget some dealers do have relationships built with customers and can get a lot more money than ebay or myself. Others are better suited to answer this than I am though.

OP
OP
inspectorgadget

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well id be agreeable to buy you a cup of coffee my next problem which is best way to sell.

Best way to sell is to put em on eBay for $75 starting bid each & go from there. Isn't like there is much selection on eBay & the one person who sells these type plates on there wants $175 for one you don't have but it's very similar (same style). They have sold 1 of 4 for $175, they want $275 for the one with tropical fish on it. Id do $75 each starting bid & I imagine they will all sell (for how much) I dunno!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread