Flippers: Are you part time or full time in this business?

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I am curious who else is a full time reseller.

Are you part time in this business, or full time?

Is there anyone else deriving 100% of their income from buying and reselling?

I've met a bunch of retirees with Social Security income and retirement income that say they are active full timers in reselling business. And I've met quite a few people with passive income streams, like farm, rental or investment income that are full timers, but is there anyone else who is really doing the buy and flip thing full time with no other income other than what you can find and sell?

I've also met many 'full timers' who have a spouse that is still working a full time job with a steady paycheck and benefits.

I've been reselling for about 10 years, and went full time into this business about 5 years ago. Two years ago, my wife left her full time job and joined me in the ebay and flea market business, and 100% of our income is derived from what we find, drag home, and flip.

It was a lot easier back when she was working full time. Those paychecks eased our cash flow tremendously, giving me the opportunity to out-earn her year 'round. It is a whole different story now, with a shrinking economy and we are cash flowing all​ of our business out of our own pockets.

What is your story, and are you full time, or just part time, seeking to supplement your income?

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess I'm in between the two.
Presently, I flip part time. But in about a year I will be hanging up the 9-5, retire and begin collecting my pension. With my free time I will do more searching, buying and selling. On my present job I have to work most weekends. So my yardsale/estate sale and ability to attend auctions has been limited.

The way I planned for retirement I will not need the extra income ((unless the economy tanks even further). But then my silver horde will come in handy. Reading other posts on this forum has given me valuable info and ideas.

I think being my own boss is going to be a great freedom.

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm a college student, so this is definitely part time. I did it almost full time this past summer and loved it, but it will probably be solidly part time for the next while. I'm really in it for the thrill of the hunt/looking for things that I need for cheaper than new, but I can see myself being in the used goods business for a while. Most of my possessions are pre owned, I don't really buy anything new, so unless I stop wanting/needing things I will probably never stop going to yard sales/thrift stores all together. I have personal fantasies of starting a higher end vintage store someday, but that is a dream at most.

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
I am part time, but that might increase as the industry I work in is a dieing one and they recently announced yet another machine shutting down and a 120 person layoff. It is possible in one to five yrs I will be full time, or mostly full time and using my displaced worker benefits to go back to school and get my teaching degree. My wife has a good and needed job, she is a nurse, so if that happens it would make things smoother. The bad thing would be losing my health insurance and having to buy it through her company plan. Sorry, think I am rambling now.

T.

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I am full time spring through fall till the first snow. Then picking gets slim, the only place to buy anything is thrift stores and all the ones in my area are way over priced. Then in the winter I sell alot less but still enough to make a little money. Im not driving into cleveland or akron to buy up stuff with gas 3.30 a gallon.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Full time. Started with $300 in 2002 I think it was, and have not made a penny in any other way other since then. Well maybe a few dollars playing pool but I drank that away 5 minutes later. :laughing7:

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Full time here. Was easier when I worked full time as I could buy whatever I wanted as eBay was all fun money. Now it's all bills and savings money. Wife works though which is good. I'm not ready to go back to work though, I really want to focus on selling more items that are higher quality. Loving being home with my two yr old daughter all week though, totally worth it! We decided paying $160/ wk was crazy for daycare!!

OP
OP
C

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Full time here. Was easier when I worked full time as I could buy whatever I wanted as eBay was all fun money. Now it's all bills and savings money. Wife works though which is good. I'm not ready to go back to work though, I really want to focus on selling more items that are higher quality. Loving being home with my two yr old daughter all week though, totally worth it! We decided paying $160/ wk was crazy for daycare!!

Dude, that is awesome.

Please hear me on this: Let that little one climb into your lap anytime she wants, even if it keeps you from listing or selling. Give her all the attention she wants, and play with her during the day, as much as you can.

I watched our little one like you did, and while I did all the things I suggested you do, I wish now that I would have NEVER said "let me get this done...daddy has to work".

I miss playing 'animals' with her, and I miss the little girl she once was. She is quickly growing into a teen now...those years with her while she was young are some of my favorite years of my life so far.

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
I wouldn't even say I'm part time. It's a hobby for me. I like the thrill of the hunt and the sense of accomplishment when I buy an item no-one else knew to buy and sell it for a profit.

I'll second the advice about that youngin'. My wife and I can only wish we had one. Looking like it might never happen. Some folks don't realize just how much of a blessing their children are, but just ask a couple who would do anything just to be able to have their own.

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
I wouldn't even say I'm part time. It's a hobby for me. I like the thrill of the hunt and the sense of accomplishment when I buy an item no-one else knew to buy and sell it for a profit.

I'll second the advice about that youngin'. My wife and I can only wish we had one. Looking like it might never happen. Some folks don't realize just how much of a blessing their children are, but just ask a couple who would do anything just to be able to have their own.

Hang in there, Cheese. It took us 23 yrs, but I have my own daughter now. I have spent time with her every day of her life and I don't have any intention of breaking the streak. She is almost 9 now and is the reason I got into this really. It started with me buying silver and gold in big lots, as big as I could find and piecing it out, keeping what I could for her college/down payment on a house/etc. once the money was back in pocket. From there it picked up to yard sales, flea markets etc. All silver and gold profits go to her little nest egg, the yard sale profits go to a different kind of savings plan and what I pick at flea markets and that sort of thing goes to the household fund. I am anal about keeping the inventory separate. LOL But, keep trying and hoping, it can and does happen. It sounds like you are someone who should have children. Good luck to you and your wife.

T.

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Full full time with lots of overtime!

My hours are 8-16 hours per week at auctions (usually just about 10 hours in the winter) & 10 hours a week listing, anywhere between 2-3-4 hours packing + shipping & a crazy amount of time researching items, maybe upwards of 25 -30 hours per week just researching online. So I'd say 50 hours minimum per week & sometimes a whole lot more hours than that when the estate auctions are booming (ad another easy 10-15-20 hours a week during that season which is also garage sale season).

But I don't answer to anyone & I do what I want when I want so I really love it!

Last edited:

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Keep your head up... If it's meant to be it will happen! Everything happens for a reason!

duffytrash

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2006
ohio river
part time.....I work handyman jobs...most days I work 8-2........before work im on the 'puter....after work im lookin for stuff...then another few hours on the machine....I put 12 hrs + on these 2 part time jobs but I haint punched a time clock in 15 years or so...so I do what I want...when I want....I buy low sell ...for whatever....I sell lotsa marbles that's easy money for me..the other stuff...glassware...junk jewelery I need to work on a little...I think my other ventures would be prim or vintiques...stuff from the 50s-60s...

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Flipping junk makes up a varied percentage of my income. Some years it's as little as 35% while others it's as much as 75%.

lookin-for-treasure

Jun 30, 2013
West Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I work reselling part time. I started about 5 months ago with zero knowledge on reselling. I've increased monthly sales to close to a couple thousand the past couple of months. It's been fun and incredibly lucrative for what I've put in to it. I do spend a very large time researching to better position myself to making better buys. Reselling has been a great addition to my regular job which pays very little. It's my hope to keep increasing my knowledge and be able to have an average of 4 to 5 thousand in sales a month. Also, this forum has been a tremendous help. Thanks to all that participate.

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
This is a part-time deal for me (and my wife) as we both have full-time jobs at the moment. We are treating this as a hobby at the moment and are not particularly concerned with how much money we make at it. Although we are planning to retire in about 2 years, I don't think we will do a lot more buying and selling after that. Unless something changes significantly, we should have enough to get along reasonably well. We won't be buying a yacht any time soon but we should be OK so the income from selling stuff is gravy. My biggest concern is health care costs. If our insurance cost goes up dramatically (as I suspect it will), we might have to do something to supplement our income and increasing the buying/selling would, no doubt, be a big part of that effort.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread