Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been watching the 16mm movies I bought last summer . The movie marked ''1954, 1955 vacation'' has some cool footage of a Goodyear Blimp . I've looked at hundreds of fotos of blimps in google images and I can;t find this particular one - as you can see , it has those distinctive square markings on the belly .

Attachments

• gblimp 015.jpg
    gblimp 015.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 138
  • gblimp 016.jpg
    gblimp 016.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 135
  • gblimp 017.jpg
    gblimp 017.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 129

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't say much other then it looks like the Goodyear blimp I come to know. I saw it as a youngster cursing along interstate 35 in Iowa many years ago. It looked like that one you have posted that I saw. I would say you have some very interesting old color film footage well worth seeking further info on. Could be valuable to aviation collectors especially if it comes out to be footage unknown to exist of that particular Goodyear blimp.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In that vacation footage do you see any recognizable landmarks. (either just before or just after the blimp footage) They probably did a typical 50's, cross country, vacation drive. As a kid we did a lot of these.

I just saw our local blimp last week. I think there are two within about 20 miles of me. but they would be much newer than that one.

OldSowBreath

Mar 18, 2009
Just from memory, I think at one time Goodyear blimps were named after winners of the America's Cup in sailing. Mayflower, Enterprise, America, Intrepid, etc. (I think), and I think at any given time there were only four?

OP
OP
mojjax

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In that vacation footage do you see any recognizable landmarks. (either just before or just after the blimp footage) They probably did a typical 50's, cross country, vacation drive. As a kid we did a lot of these.

I just saw our local blimp last week. I think there are two within about 20 miles of me. but they would be much newer than that one.
Here's some shots after they took off . Looks likes a military base , moutains - then over a neighborhood with palm trees - I'm thinking maybe California ?

Attachments

• gblimp 024.jpg
    gblimp 024.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 127
  • gblimp 028.jpg
    gblimp 028.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 130

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry I can't resist Remembering the Capt. When I see a blimp

Cool Pics !

Jan 2, 2013
somewhere between flagstaff, preskit
Detector(s) used
Whites prism III
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
well, i can not find that view of south mountain...i suspect it is not possible even in a blimp...
but...that is south mountain in arizona, looking south from the northwest...almost above luke air force base..

all that area is now subdivisions...except for luke afb.

OP
OP
mojjax

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can I post an AVI 46.6 mb on Here (Tnet) of the blimp footage . I was trying to earlier - the wheel was spinning for 4 minuets - then we lost power (ICE STORM) - power just came on . I was just wondering how to post a short clip .

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can I post an AVI 46.6 mb on Here (Tnet) of the blimp footage . I was trying to earlier - the wheel was spinning for 4 minuets - then we lost power (ICE STORM) - power just came on . I was just wondering how to post a short clip .

could you do that u-tube thing? (never did it myself) and then put a link up here?

OP
OP
mojjax

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting