Descent Chinese carved wood gold gilded wall panels, Japanese Kokeshi doll & Print

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Descent Chinese carved wood gold gilded wall panels, Japanese Kokeshi doll & Print

Dug these items out of the bottom of a box of stuff I rescued before someone threw it in the dumpster at the auction last week.

Nice save on my part tho most was indeed junk but in the bottom of this box were some interesting & far from worthless junk items.

3 Chinese hand carved wood gold gilded wall panels or plaques, one is 25"x7" depicting a scene with about 20 figures 2 of which are on horses & 1 is a man with a beard in a robe doing something like dancing in the center of the panel & between the 2 figures on the 2 horses (this one seems to be pretty old & is getting fragile mainly the panel backing part). A very similar yet much smaller 16"x7" one with the same basic scene sold for $120 on the bay http://www.ebay.com/itm/ANTIQUE-19-c-ELABORATE-GILDED-CHINESE-WALL-PANEL-RELIEF-WOOD-CARVING-/350951471672?pt=Asian_Antiques&hash=item51b6567a38&nma=true&si=l7Dkz4kCoqAUaXnYiULYocV%252BVAA%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557. The other 2 are smaller (one is 4"x11" & one is 15"x8", both are carved on both sides the larger with flowers & a bird carved in the front side & a mesh like design carved on the rear, the smaller is the same on both sides + both are in pretty good shape. These 2 might have been converted to wall panels from some other old Chinese items?? They might be worth $25 or $50 each.

A signed Japanese Kokeshi doll that seems to be pretty old. Lots of crazing on the varnish type finish on the wood on the underside of the head, it's head also bobbles slightly. $25-$45 on the bay.

A somewhat large (about 2' x 3') Japanese print on a felt like material. The cardboard tube it was in said "KEEP" & "Japanese hairdresser". Don't know much at all about this one. Hard to find value on but I don't think it's valuable at all.

A tassel & silk covered box from an oriental item of some sort, probably some lantern type thing?

Last an "I don't know what it is" wood thingy with a stick, string, nut like thing & a large part that opens on one side that is hollow, I can't figure out what this is for or what it does! The other side does not open but looks the same as the side that does open. Anyone know? I'm stumped

I couldn't beat the price... got it all 100% free! I estimate there is over $200 worth of stuff here.
DSC02740.JPG DSC02743.JPG DSC02744.JPG DSC02746.JPG DSC02748.JPG DSC02749.JPG DSC02751.JPG DSC02752.JPG

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions