Bought a small ebay jewelry lot... what would you pay? what is it worth?

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far haven't found a way to identify it, but I did list it under vintage as it just has to be pre 1980.. I could be mistaken about it, but there isn't really a way to prove otherwise. As I said I just know its a hand made ring.

I've listed all but the plain 18K band from the lot and am starting them off on the high end to make sure I don't leave [much] money on the table. I'll probably list the 18K band today around $200 OBO and see how that goes. I'll post here as soon as anything sells!

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the design I don't think its pre 1980. I do think this design is a newer design... Not sure though.... I think $200 is a good price since the metal is a little dull and has some problems like the weld. '
Can you send me a link of the ring in Private Message ?

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, good to know. I removed it from the vintage category just to be safe. I have it listed as 300 and see many 18k pearl rings have sold from 200 to wayyyy more. I feel mine should sell in the 150 - 250 range, but I'm hoping to find that right buyer at 300. We'll see I guess!

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone have a suggestion for a listing price for the 18k band? It weighs 1.8 grams and has a simple sort of notched design that goes around the outside center of the band. It had some light scratches and wear, but other than that it in good shape. I was thinking 200 OBO, but does that seem too low or high? I'd rather start on a high auction incase the right buyer comes along. I'm not sure what the retail of an 18k band is, but I often see 14k white gold bands lIsted at 100 OBO.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Honestly, I think that ring is worth about scrap so $52 noting special about it like a huge pearl. Its used so maybe a little over scrap for selling it as is around $60-$70. I want you to check out this site if you don't know it already... http://gold.yabz.com/jewelry.htm It will give you the scrap value of any metal...

Last edited:

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would bet that the 18K band is an antique, however with out the history it's very hard to know for sure. Just do not see simple bands these days in 18k with a simple design. I know it has appeal to a lot of potential buyers being antique. Most bands today are 10 or 14k. Is it white or yellow gold? Hard to tell in photos. Good luck on your sales!! I think you did well!

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would bet that the 18K band is an antique, however with out the history it's very hard to know for sure. Just do not see simple bands these days in 18k with a simple design. I know it has appeal to a lot of potential buyers being antique. Most bands today are 10 or 14k. Is it white or yellow gold? Hard to tell in photos. Good luck on your sales!! I think you did well!

Just wondering what makes you say its antique ? :icon_scratch: :dontknow:

ATPro4Life

Oct 3, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You got yourself a nice lot there!
Being in a fraternity, I'd highly suggest not donating, but selling those pins on Ebay. You'll definitely get more value selling as a pin rather than melt (Would highly recommend not melting it anyways; it would be like taking a piece of someone's soul, smashing it, and then discarding it). I'm just wondering who would sell their fraternity badge/pin.

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both rings are white gold. I don't have any details other than the 18K stamp and its positive acid test. I will post a better picture of the plain band shortly if that helps. Appreciate the feedback everyone!

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_1604.JPG IMG_1598.JPG IMG_1600.JPG IMG_1601.JPG IMG_1602.JPG

I never noticed the detail that on the top of the ring it is flat while the other has sort of a "ring inside of a ring" appearance (photo #3 vs photo #4) Interesting..

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I never noticed the detail that on the top of the ring it is flat while the other has sort of a "ring inside of a ring" appearance (photo #3 vs photo #4) Interesting..

I've seen that "ring inside of a ring" look before. Sometimes it's caused when a higher carat ring is worn next to a lower one for a long time. The harder alloy wears on the softer one where they touch.

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wondering what makes you say its antique ? :icon_scratch: :dontknow:

I didn't say it WAS antique, but that "I bet it was". I gave my reasons why I thought that. I'm not an expert by any means, it was just my hunch. And as I stated, you don't know for sure without the history behind it. I do think it looks antique. Hope that's ok? :)

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I didn't say it WAS antique, but that "I bet it was". I gave my reasons why I thought that. I'm not an expert by any means, it was just my hunch. And as I stated, you don't know for sure without the history behind it. I do think it looks antique. Hope that's ok? :)

Its fine, I was just wondering what your thoughts on it were. :dontknow: To me the design looks modern, to shapely and the small detail on top makes me think its modern. :icon_scratch:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions