New Years Resolutions

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Happy New Year TNet!

Anyone have any garage sale related New Year resolutions?

Mine is to take more time inspecting item condition before purchasing. 99% of the time I focus on cost and profit rather than condition of item. Really stinks taking an item home that needs to be repaired, put in garbage, or you find out after your buyer receives the item.

What's your resolution?

Last edited:

Grundestoun

Dec 16, 2010
Idaho
Detector(s) used
coinmaster 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To quit slackin 😴 and start listin😃

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I want to up the ante in my business this year.

We are full time ebayers with flea market booths, and I want to learn and be successful with buying and flipping trains on ebay. I have already had success in this venture, but I am learning my way around, and still haven't figured out exactly what will be the most profitable and easiest to sell.

I want to spend a decent amount of time stacking trains and a few other things while prices are down during certain times during the year.

If prices on a tool that I've been flipping are as low this year as they were last summer, I am going to stack them deep...and I mean really deep, and flip them when they are higher during a few select months of the year.

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My resolution is simple this year... I vow to buy a lot more of this (:thumb_up::hello2:) & a lot less of that(:thumb_down::BangHead:). Also to get out & do more :metaldetector: this year than last

Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wake up every day and find me some treasure! I don't care if I buy it, dig it, beg for it, or steal it! :headbang: ok, I do care, but you get the point. I'm going 7 days a week hardcore. :)

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Not big on resolutions but have set a goal. I'm looking to increase the amount of business I do by at least 25%. My biggest obstacle has been finding items for resale. I'm going to address that by starting a marketing program in an attempt to find more estates to buy. I'm also going to try to stop being afraid of higher dollar items for more than 50 cents on the dollar. I've held back on some things if I couldn't at least double my money. An item with a $1000 resale value is still a good deal when priced at $750, it's just a lot harder to pull the trigger on.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not big on resolutions but have set a goal. I'm looking to increase the amount of business I do by at least 25%. My biggest obstacle has been finding items for resale. I'm going to address that by starting a marketing program in an attempt to find more estates to buy. I'm also going to try to stop being afraid of higher dollar items for more than 50 cents on the dollar. I've held back on some things if I couldn't at least double my money. An item with a $1000 resale value is still a good deal when priced at $750, it's just a lot harder to pull the trigger on.

Yes, you have to change because you're not giving yourself any chance to grow.... as you have now realized there's only so many sweet deals to cherry pick, and to make money over that you have to spend a bit, and grind out the sales. We are so different how we think because if I see things online I know I can make money on I HAVE TO BUY THEM! There has been many times where I wasn't even sure how I was going to pay for it, but I just couldn't walk away. In fact, being in that position is usually positive because it drives me to work harder to come up with the extra to make sure I can cover the bill and get my deal. I just don't understand how someone can look at a sellers table, see a $50 bill for them, and one for you, and walk away to keep looking for something to spend a dollar on to make $20.

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To start selling on ebay, I just can't seem to make that first step! Good luck!.............Scott.

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ha, to get it listed before its sits in my garage for weeks!

This. I basically want to list it within a day or two of buying it & finding out what it's worth. I hardly hit any garage sales this year and didn't really get the treasure fever until late fall. Now I've got an entire calendar year ahead of me. I also got my detector in the fall and haven't broken it in nearly enough. Still need my first silver in the dirt!

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Yes, you have to change because you're not giving yourself any chance to grow.... as you have now realized there's only so many sweet deals to cherry pick, and to make money over that you have to spend a bit, and grind out the sales. We are so different how we think because if I see things online I know I can make money on I HAVE TO BUY THEM! There has been many times where I wasn't even sure how I was going to pay for it, but I just couldn't walk away. In fact, being in that position is usually positive because it drives me to work harder to come up with the extra to make sure I can cover the bill and get my deal. I just don't understand how someone can look at a sellers table, see a $50 bill for them, and one for you, and walk away to keep looking for something to spend a dollar on to make $20.

I think you have a misperception going on. I buy $50 items I can double my money on whenever I see them. I'm also willing to buy PM's on a 10-15% margin because that's a guaranteed quick sale with minimal effort on my part. Cherrypicking items for $1 to resell for $20(or more) makes up less than 10% of what I buy. My inability to find enough items to buy for resale is due to the size of the area I live.

It's my understanding that a good bit of your business involves working on a 10-15% margin. Nothing wrong with that. I'll work on that size margin if all I have to do is buy & immediately resell to an established buyer. If I have to list it, pack it, ship it, hold it in inventory for more than a day, clean it, move it, or any combination of those I'm not touching it for that kind of margin.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you have a misperception going on. I buy $50 items I can double my money on whenever I see them. I'm also willing to buy PM's on a 10-15% margin because that's a guaranteed quick sale with minimal effort on my part. Cherrypicking items for $1 to resell for $20(or more) makes up less than 10% of what I buy. My inability to find enough items to buy for resale is due to the size of the area I live.

It's my understanding that a good bit of your business involves working on a 10-15% margin. Nothing wrong with that. I'll work on that size margin if all I have to do is buy & immediately resell to an established buyer. If I have to list it, pack it, ship it, hold it in inventory for more than a day, clean it, move it, or any combination of those I'm not touching it for that kind of margin.

When I wrote the $50 remark I was more thinking of over all accounts I've read on here where people debated $10 items, so obviously do not buy $50 ones.

As for the 10-15% profit margin I do sell many items in that range, why not, money is money right, and I do it easy. I also sell many hundreds of items from 15% to 100% or far better.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
When I wrote the $50 remark I was more thinking of over all accounts I've read on here where people debated $10 items, so obviously do not buy $50 ones.

As for the 10-15% profit margin I do sell many items in that range, why not, money is money right, and I do it easy. I also sell many hundreds of items from 15% to 100% or far better.

I think a lot of the items that get posted here are the "big score" items where someone buys cheap & sells high. I'm reasonably certain many of those posters only look for those items. I'm also reasonably certain anyone doing it for steady income does a relatively small percentage of their business that way.

I'm not knocking your business model. I've got to admire someone willing to make the effort & having the knowledge/system to be able to buy & resell in the same market.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I intend to find a different place to sell an item I will have a lot of. Since I recycle trashed cell phones I also come across many SIM cards. I have been doing pretty well selling these on ebay in small lots (half ounce to 4 ounces) for those that want to recycle them for gold content. I found a source where I can buy in pound lots but they are not cheap, I still make money but want to make more.

Well I decided to go full out with SIM cards. I just found a much better priced lot of cards and have many pounds on their way to CA.

I am going to continue with ebay, but I need ideas where other people go to buy gold bearing items. I am going to add the cards, plus trashed cell phones to my website too.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Concentrate on small items that don't involve double boxing, miles of bubble wrap and a 20-30 minute ordeal to pack for shipment, unless I can make $100 profit on it that is.

biggmike

May 27, 2010
Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CZ7A Pro / CZ21 / F75 LTD
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Am I reading this right?? This means that someone would be willing to pay $75 for an item that would only bring around $100 online. After fees and what not the profit would be maybe $10-$15?? I know it might sound crazy but I would hesitate paying more than maybe $40 if I knew it would only bring $100. There's just too much out there to have to pay that kind of money for that kind of profit. No way I would buy and sell for even 50% unless I bought and sold $1000 items maybe. Of course that's just my opinion and you know what they say about opinions....

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread