Favorite auction withdraw no auction last week & snow cancelled today.

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Favorite auction withdraw, no auction last week cause of Christmas & snow cancelled it today. Yup I drove the whole 4.5 miles to my favorite auction this morning at 6:45 am (they usually have this auction on Wednesday but took the 1st off after taking Christmas day off too). Got there & the lot is plowed but not as many people were there, a lot less people but the weather was horrible so I wasn't surprised one bit & I actually figured it would be a buyers market because of the weather (the roads were very bad & lots of people come from very far away). 750-800 people is average attendance at this place BTW.

Tho they didn't have a lot that I'm really into selling except some old carved stone Asian vases (1 was spinach jade) & probably either ivory or bone pieces (several small carved snuff bottles). They sure looked like ivory to me as they were too smooth for bone! But I quickly learned because they can't get enough workers there the auction has been cancelled. The owners wife said not many people called to see if they were gonna be open & was surprised more people had not shown up. I only have to drive less than 5 miles to this place but many drive 50 miles or more so I'm sure there were some very upset people finding out they made that drive for nothing. I didn't know it but about half their workers come from Fort Wayne (which is quite far from Indy), Muncie (45 mins to an hour from Indy), & Marion Indiana (about 1:15 away) all of those places are north of Indy & had even worse weather. So the dream of a great buyers market was flushed down the drain & I have to wait another week to make some purchases at my favorite place!

I attended auctions on the 1st but they were packed & I made 1 whole purchase, it was something to keep not to sell & I got a very reasonable deal on it considering how busy the place was.

Last edited:
OP
OP
inspectorgadget

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Too bad. You better get back there next week and get on them vases and snuff bottles! lol

On a normal day all that will sell for too much. Some idiot will pay eBay prices if not higher for them, never ever does ivory or silver sell "cheap" at this place. The spinach jade vase is hit or miss just depends on who is there but there is a way better chance of getting it for a reasonable price than getting the ivory pieces for a reasonable price.

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hit one this weekend that was horrible. Packed shoulder to shoulder, wasnt ran as advertised. There was three rings going and the auctioneer stood under the other Inge speaker so you could not hear anything. Box lots were being sold item by item. Drive 45 minutes in blinding snow just to walk out with nothing. People had computers and cells out and ready hitting ebay or way above. Oh well there's always next week.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread