Cast iron cat bank/doorstop Vintage or Repro?

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20140103_161318.jpg 20140103_161257 - Copy.jpg 20140103_161305.jpg

Picked this up the other day. Two other people I know that hunt the thrift store looked at it. One said it was a repro because of the big seam. I greatly respect his opinions in general. I had read that before myself but the seam didn't look so big to me. Or I should say I've seen those reproduced mechanical banks with huge seems on a straight line. I thought well this has a curve. And you can see where someone ground down what looks like a weld on the tail and on the feet. Thats a lot of effort for a reproduction. The other person thought it was vintage. Two other people felt compelled to stick their heads in my cart and ask if I was an antique dealer. I never know how to answer this. In the older auctions they are listed as Hubley doorstops. This appears to be a bank. They seem to have sold in the past between $15-150 depending on the color etc. Thats a big difference. Thanks 90% of things I see like this I leave so if anyone has insight into cast iron I would appreciate it.

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In researching a Hubley Fox terrier that I picked I read that a telltale sign of a repro is the type of screw used is a Phillips head. Also, yours from the pictures has an aged patina. Does a magnet stick to it? Any areas of rust?

I tend to think its vintage from the pictures.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Very cool bank. Cast iron is so cool! It looks vintage to me based on the overall wear of the item, especially the large flat head screw that holds it together. Either way old or not it is still cool!

Sent from my SCH-R930 using Tapatalk 2

OP
OP
D

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the help. It is cool and it keeps looking at me.

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is an example of a modern cast iron Saddleback Pig Bank that I picked for $5.
Even though modern they retail for about $70 online.

The screws are phillip head, the seams are straight and wide, the paint is fresh and the edges of the metal are angular and crisp.
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

austin

Gold Member
Jul 9, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Really nice find and very old. Used to sell those old banks in our antique store. Sold instantly. Yours is cute and in great demand...

OP
OP
D

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is an example of a modern cast iron Saddleback Pig Bank that I picked for $5.
Even though modern they retail for about $70 online.

The screws are phillip head, the seams are straight and wide, the paint is fresh and the edges of the metal are angular and crisp.

Thanks for those photos, I can definitely see a difference. I'm always trying to figure out ways to judge a piece that don't include the paint job. And yes a magnet does stick to it. The edges of mine are ground pretty smooth and not crisp. Funny the only reproduced depression glass I've come across had pretty crisp edges.

OP
OP
D

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ill be watching that auction closely. The other one estimated between $100 and $1000 I guess I could work for an auction house with ranges like that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread