Opinions on Valenkamph painting

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I posted a few days ago about some art I was considering buying. I've been able to make a decision about all the pieces except this one. It's an oil on canvas over board by American artist T. VC Valenkamph. Once again I forgot to get dimensions....rough guess is 20"x24" without frame. I'm not an art expert. Having said that I'm 95% certain the painting is authentic. I've found auction records that range from $1500-7600, with one "outlier" sale on ebay from a few years ago of a damaged painting that sold for $700. What would you be willing to pay?

005.JPG 006.JPG

AndyE89

Nov 19, 2013
Cresco, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are no sold listings of These paintings on ebay. HIGH list prices but no sales. There are also no sales on INVALUABLE, a website that specializes in art realizations at auction. It is a gorgeous piece from a great artist, but I just do not know what the comps would be. There may be others that have sold on Worthpoint, but as you said that was years ago, the art market is so soft that it would be a difficult sell no matter what.

Great pick up, definitely something you sit on for now though. Art is just too low right now in demand and market prices.

OP
OP
T

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
The ebay sold listing I mentioned came up on a web search....not on ebay. For some reason ebay sales from several years ago pop up on a random basis even though they are no longer available through ebay. I agree that the art market is soft right now. That's why I'm asking what people here would pay. To be 100% clear, I have NOT decided if I'm going to buy this painting.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Prior to the recent recession, my impression was that art was purchased more for subjective reasons. Today, I believe higher priced art (over $1,000) is purchased more for its investment qualities. As such, the number of art purchasers for works above $1,000 is down today--substantially--and with it went values for all but the famous or in demand artists and their works. That said, I wouldn't offer even $1,000 for this piece; perhaps half that, then await a counteroffer to determine the reasonableness of that counter and the seller's urgency to sell.
Don...

AndyE89

Nov 19, 2013
Cresco, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even at 500 you are still taking such a big risk it is not worth it. I would move along on this one. I thought you had purchased it.

I would not buy this at a tag of 250. Just too much risk in it. You may get a "good deal" but as was stated, most art is at good deal prices right now. The secondary market just is not there. What Mack said is spot on. Those that can still afford to buy, are buying the BEST of the BEST.

Pass on this one.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread