jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Slightly OT - Today's Free eBay Pro-Tip: Make sure your Description is correctly spelled.

Yesterday I was looking for a competing listing and discovered there are almost 100 auctions for "Word War II" items!

Many of these are going to result in bargains for buyers and sellers coming up short! Savvy buyers check for misspelled celebrity and other names.

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

For years, this was THE BEST secret to getting a killer deal on ebay. Now, it is far more known and far more safety nets are in place to help prevent such accidents. Still happens, if you know what to look for.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For years, this was THE BEST secret to getting a killer deal on ebay. Now, it is far more known and far more safety nets are in place to help prevent such accidents. Still happens, if you know what to look for.

Incorrect spelling would only make a big difference if it was also in the wrong category. I've been a buyer for a long time and am pretty sure misspellings was never much of a way to get deals, and probably wasted more time for anyone who had that particular strategy. You have to remember just because the word is spelled wrong doesn't make you experience in that item just because you found a bad listing.... So basically buying this way has you bidding on a whole lot of stuff you never even dealt with before. To me that makes absolutely no sense when you could spend your time looking for, and buying what you know.

PS: The wrong category is a much bigger factor, and that one still gives up a lot of deals.... assuming you have the experience to know a deal when you see one. There's a lot of competition for most things now, and the most common way to search is by category. My best score of 2013 was like that, the title was fine and thought I'd be in trouble because I figured it might be picked up by a couple others in a key word search... but it wasn't, and I stole it.

Last edited:

Ammonhotep

Apr 21, 2012
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack Lone Star, baby!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Slightly OT - Today's Free eBay Pro-Tip: Make sure your Description is correctly spelled

Got an old VW dual exhaust system on Ebay for $1 because the person couldn't spell correctly. I always check misspellings, but haven't gotten as lucky since that time.

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've discovered that it is easier to get a deal on ebay by searching for people who don't actually say what they are selling, rather than people who misspell. I've bought countless great items for very little because they were in lots that did not specify in the listing title what was actually in the lot. My absolute favorite though is finding the sellers who use two word descriptions to try and sell their wares. I found a beautiful woolrich coat for $9.99 once and I was the only bidder because the listing title just said "wool coat". Ended up selling it for $95.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread