Ebay partial refund

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sold a Sterling bracelet on eBay for $15. Not a big deal but the lady said that when it arrives it was broken and she can take it to her jeweler to have it fixed and she wanted to know if I would give her half of her money back. Now I get these from time to time and they can be really annoying because there's no way that bracelet broke when I sent it. I wrap them in bubble wrap and put them in tape and they don't move! So I told her that I would be fine with the partial refund if she sent me a picture of it broken for my records. Said that I sell it for someone else and I need to be able to show them that it broke when you had it. She can either attach a picture on eBay or text me one on my phone. So I will see if she responds back or if I never hear from her again. I am assuming I'll never hear from her again because I don't think it broke, i think she's just trying to get money back. We will see!

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
No way would I give a partial on that one.

Since it ships via first class mail, have her send it back for a full refund, or nothing else.

I agree, she is gaming the system!!!!!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tell her, her Paypal payment broke and to send $15 more.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been out of ebay since 2002 I'm about to start selling again... I don't know about the new ebay but I would stick to my original policy and its always been "No Refunds" !! People always have the option of replacing my item with another one that looks the same and say mine was the faulty one. Its to easy for people to fabricate a flaw on coins, silverware, jewelry or other antiques.

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I've been out of ebay since 2002 I'm about to start selling again... I don't know about the new ebay but I would stick to my original policy and its always been "No Refunds" !! People always have the option of replacing my item with another one that looks the same and say mine was the faulty one. Its to easy for people to fabricate a flaw on coins, silverware, jewelry or other antiques.

Might want to rethink "your policy" because ebay policy trumps yours.

Even if you select "no returns" when you list an item, buyer protection says otherwise.

It is virtually pointless when people write up their own rules and policies in their listings because they essentially mean nothing. It is a hard pill to swallow but sellers will be better off the sooner they come to this realization.

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Even if you select "no returns" when you list and item, buyer protection says otherwise.

It is virtually pointless when people write up their own rules and policies in their listings because they essentially mean nothing. It is a hard pill to swallow but sellers will be better off the sooner they come to this realization.
Truer words were never spoken.

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in virtually the same position but I've been back on a few months. I say no returns. I think it does scare off the scammers. Im sure I'm being filtered out by some people as well. I actually would accept a return if they contacted me with something besides buyers remorse. I would just like to tell you that all the scams have changed. They seem more complex. Less wealthy kings from Nigeria are emailing me though so thats good.

Lafitte Deux

Jan 19, 2012
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
After dealing with a few partial return people, I do not allow them. Send it back and I'll refund.
I haven't had a problem since.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Even if you select "no returns" when you list an item, buyer protection says otherwise.

Yeah there's that... I did do returns for a little while but they had to have good solid proof that something was wrong. With the new policies, I'm not sure what will happen. Is buyer protection for every item sold or just expensive transactions ? I'll likely end up in the hole owing feebay money again. Thanks for the heads up !!

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had the same thing happen to me a year ago. Some "lady" ordered a brass mug with hinged lid, very heavy duty. It had cloisonné enamel art all over. She only lived about 15 miles from me and I knew the area was one to stay away from.

After a few days I get a message from her saying the lid got dented in shipping could she help and issue a partial refund. I would have to hit it directly with a hammer to dent any part of it. I told her I need to see the damage and she threatens me with a neg feedback. (I had her now, threatening a neg if I don't refund) I never heard from her again.

I looked at her recent purchases and saw that most were all of the same type as I sold her. I wonder how many of those sellers got the same type of letter. They all had positive feedback. I also looked her up on facebook, scary.

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't yet had the pleasure of dealing with refunds/partial refunds as a seller, but I have offered that as a solution to the sellers I've purchased from. I've had many occasions where items were being sold as solid 14K gold, etc when they were not. The ones that contained much less or no gold content I've sent back for full refunds. In the instance an item was, for example, 10K instead of the listed 14K, I offered the possible solution of a partial refund for me to keep the item instead of returning it for a full refund. So far everything has run smoothly. I do always include photographs of the hallmarks as evidence that they were mistaken in their listing.

I imagine the return process gets a lot more dicey when a damaged item is involved, though.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well since I asked her for a picture of it showing it was broken I have not heard from her. So hopefully that will not change. And I will continue to never hear from her again! Now that I wrote this I will probably have six emails from her tonight!

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What would suck is if she is spiteful and in denying her the partial refund and requesting pictures, she decides to ACTUALLY break it and then send it back for a full refund.

That's actually a scary thought - can buyers get away with that?

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What would suck is if she is spiteful and in denying her the partial refund and requesting pictures, she decides to ACTUALLY break it and then send it back for a full refund.

That's actually a scary thought - can buyers get away with that?

Probably could. Hopefully wouldn't though, but I guess you could. I may have done it once to someone. I bought a ring and it was said to be 14k. So he had the Description of being 14 karat gold then he went on about his business and returns and everything else I didn't bother reading all that stuff. I got the ring in the mail and it was gold filled. I went back and read his description it said nothing about being gold filled until you got down to almost the bottom of his page about returns and he had in there in teenie tiny letters that it was gold filled. So I may have popped the stone out and said it was damaged then returned it. I felt he was being deceitful on purpose though. Wanted to make sure it didn't happen again. I got my $ back and blocked him!

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, yeah, it does sound like he was trying to be deceitful. I'm not sure, but I would think that ebay would side with you especially if he lists it in the description under Metal Purity as 14K. I'd think so long as he lists it once as "14K" that it doesn't matter if he says gold filled or plastic later on in tiny letters. I've never encountered that scenario myself though so I won't know until it happens. :)

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
I've bought many books on eBay, and often they are simply not described correctly. I've "won" books that were described as being in Very Good condition that were x-library (funny how the Sellers failed to mention that!).

Recently a Seller described the books as being in excellent condition. He specifically stated "no scratches." Well, the two pamphlets arrived and one in particularly was just plain beat up. Now, the description stated "No Refunds" but it also said "You'll be pleased."

I returned them for a full refund. I'm out the postage to send them back, which isn't more than a few bucks but I think it is unfair because the books were flat out not as described.

I mention this because a partial refund in such cases is often the only solution that makes sense. It costs $4 to return a $5 book...

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

2.0: I just looked at some Time-Life "Collectors'" Civil War books on eBay. One copy is covered in white mold. Description said "Good condition; musty odor." No doodoo, Sherlock!

Last edited:

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've encountered scenarios like that where I've send items back and it was hardly worth it because of the postage. I'm sure there will come a time or two where I just take the loss because it's not worth shipping it back.

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
What would suck is if she is spiteful and in denying her the partial refund and requesting pictures, she decides to ACTUALLY break it and then send it back for a full refund. That's actually a scary thought - can buyers get away with that?
can you think of any way possible that they couldn't get away with it?? Dented-refund. That is all that would be important in the end.

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Probably could. Hopefully wouldn't though, but I guess you could. I may have done it once to someone. I bought a ring and it was said to be 14k. So he had the Description of being 14 karat gold then he went on about his business and returns and everything else I didn't bother reading all that stuff. I got the ring in the mail and it was gold filled. I went back and read his description it said nothing about being gold filled until you got down to almost the bottom of his page about returns and he had in there in teenie tiny letters that it was gold filled. So I may have popped the stone out and said it was damaged then returned it. I felt he was being deceitful on purpose though. Wanted to make sure it didn't happen again. I got my $ back and blocked him!
. He was being deceitful and it seems to be spreading. You don't seem to have any problem being deceitful. Two wrongs does not make it right. I learned that when I was a wee little lad.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Slightly OT - Today's Free eBay Pro-Tip: Make sure your Description is correctly spelled.

Yesterday I was looking for a competing listing and discovered there are almost 100 auctions for "Word War II" items!

Many of these are going to result in bargains for buyers and sellers coming up short! Savvy buyers check for misspelled celebrity and other names.

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread