Bakelite Elephant Napkin Holder

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been purchasing bags of jewelry on occasion at my local thrift stores if I feel there is a good weight/mix of items (likelihood of finding the good stuff) for the price. Unfortunately, both of my thrift stores have jacked the prices wayyyy up on the bags (previously $6-$20, now $15-40). Luckily the more expensive bags are at a store that offers numerous discounts/sales and I can knock the price back down to something I can stomach.

To the point! I've just recently began researching other types of valuable costume jewelry that may otherwise be overlooked as I've begun to grow quite a pile of the stuff. Bakelite is the first "new" type that I'm looking into. I don't have any simichrome polish, but I did use the 409 test (carefully) with a few pieces that looked similar to items I've seen online. One of them tested positive (yellow reaction) and also appears similar to some that I've found online, though none exact.

So here it is - my first bakelite find!

IMG_1627.JPG
IMG_1628.JPG
IMG_1629.JPG
IMG_1630.JPG

It weighs in at about 24.1 grams. I see some similar pieces that have sold for around $25 on eBay. I'm not exactly sure how the "color value" works for bakelite pieces so I don't know if my piece would command more or less. Color isn't the only difference - my elephant appears to be balancing a ball while all the other listings don't appear to have such in their design.

Here are the sold listings on ebay: bakelite elephant napkin holder | eBay

And the current listings: bakelite elephant napkin holder | eBay

Any comments/insight on this piece or bakelite in general would be greatly appreciated - thank you!

Flex68

Dec 10, 2013
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
Currently researching to buy
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Any comments/insight on this piece or bakelite in general would be greatly appreciated - thank you!

I will note that I am far from an authority on Bakelite, but might be able to offer a couple of suggestions.
In addition to the better methods for testing it, that you mentioned, the way to get a basic idea while 'out in the field' is to use the rub test. Rub the piece to create friction/heat, then see if you can smell the formaldehyde emanating from the piece....should smell like the inside of an old medicine cabinet.
Another thing is verifying there are no visible seams. The process used to produce Bakelite didn't leave any, so if you note any mold-lines, it is likely some other form of plastic (Lucite, Cellulite, etc).

Hope this helps!

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will note that I am far from an authority on Bakelite, but might be able to offer a couple of suggestions.
In addition to the better methods for testing it, that you mentioned, the way to get a basic idea while 'out in the field' is to use the rub test. Rub the piece to create friction/heat, then see if you can smell the formaldehyde emanating from the piece....should smell like the inside of an old medicine cabinet.
Another thing is verifying there are no visible seams. The process used to produce Bakelite didn't leave any, so if you note any mold-lines, it is likely some other form of plastic (Lucite, Cellulite, etc).

Hope this helps!

That certainly does help! This piece doesn't have any seams, but it does appear there may be a fracture line going through part of it. Looking closely at the piece, it looks kind of like a transparent color that was filled with "swirls" of brown.

The smell that it gives off is light, but I think I do recognize it is that scent. I'd have to have a direct comparison to be certain, though.

edit: Here are the photos of the fracture/"swirls":

IMG_1633.JPG
IMG_1635.JPG
IMG_1636.JPG

Last edited:

Flex68

Dec 10, 2013
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The smell that it gives off is light, but I think I do recognize it is that scent. I'd have to have a direct comparison to be certain, though.

If it passed the Formula 409 test with a yellow result (not dirt or dye), then you can be pretty certain that it is Bakelite.
Run the elephant under hot water (not boiling!) and see if the 'medicinal' or 'hospital' smell is stronger....

Once you've gotten a piece that you're 100% certain is Bakelite, then you need to use it to get that smell ingrained into your senses so that you can test/remember with certainty out in the stores, flea markets, garage sales, etc.

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hot water was a good tip! I'm pretty sure I got that scent now.

Here's a better picture of the material:
IMG_1637.JPG

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone have experience selling bakelite and perhaps know what color and/or description this may fall under? I'll be listing it this morning and was unsure what to make of the color/swirl like design of the plastic.

Flex68

Dec 10, 2013
SW Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I see that it sold....were you satisfied with the winning bid?

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was expecting about 20-30, but was o course hoping for more. I hadn't seen a piece exactly like it so it was hard to know what to expect. I did have the auction end at a bad time and I think the price may have suffered from that. All in all I was realistically hoping for $25-$35, but $20 is better than $15. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread