Magnet technique?

JamieLynn

Tenderfoot
Jan 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Magnet is usually used by "scrappers" which I've done myself. A magnet will let you know quickly what type of metal your dealing with. Usually if it sticks, it's not worth much. For example, aluminum is non magnetic, as is brass, and copper. Your average steel would be magnetic. Gold, and silver also not magnetic. For things such as brass and copper, when you walk by and it looks like it, then your magnetic doesn't stick. Then you make a small score with a pocket knife, you'll know in less then a minute what your dealing with.

So the combination of the material weight, a magnet and knowledge of what is magnetic and, knowledge of material colors..treasure finding is quick and easy.
& also really helps weed out those fakes.

Hope that helped.

OP
OP
TreasureHunters

TreasureHunters

Sep 21, 2009
Salem Oregon
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Magnet is usually used by "scrappers" which I've done myself. A magnet will let you know quickly what type of metal your dealing with. Usually if it sticks, it's not worth much. For example, aluminum is non magnetic, as is brass, and copper. Your average steel would be magnetic. Gold, and silver also not magnetic. For things such as brass and copper, when you walk by and it looks like it, then your magnetic doesn't stick. Then you make a small score with a pocket knife, you'll know in less then a minute what your dealing with.

So the combination of the material weight, a magnet and knowledge of what is magnetic and, knowledge of material colors..treasure finding is quick and easy.
& also really helps weed out those fakes.

Hope that helped.
Thanks! Helps a lot!

OP
OP
TreasureHunters

TreasureHunters

Sep 21, 2009
Salem Oregon
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also does it need to be a rare earth magnet to tell and whats the pocketknife test? Thank you!

JamieLynn

Tenderfoot
Jan 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No any magnet will due. They actually sell key chain utility magnets because it's become so popular. The pocket knife trick is really just when your dealing with what looks like corrosion, or a discoloration but your gut tells you "That's made of brass/copper" You'd just made a small score or scratch in the metal, which will reveal right then a gold color...meaning brass, or a pinkish bronze meaning copper. Those two types of metals do not corrode but will sometimes look as if it is, so that's where scoring comes in handy.

OP
OP
TreasureHunters

TreasureHunters

Sep 21, 2009
Salem Oregon
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, just ordered this for investment purposes.. thoughts?[h=1]N52 Neodymium Pocket Key Chain/ring Gold & Silver Jewelry Test Magnet[/h]

Last edited:

JamieLynn

Tenderfoot
Jan 12, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
See there you go! Now your ready. I am a big fan of amazon, and the reviews are definitely a plus. I do like the plastic cover, because catching everything metal is usually a downside to the magnets. & the typical magnet the scrap yard workers have is basically the same, just no cover. I've seen them catch on everything! I don't think you should have a problem with that. It's a good buy, and good luck hunting!

Jamie

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i just pulled the 2 magnets out of the inside of an old hard drive from the computer (spindle drive). The magnets are very powerful and don't really see the need for a key chain to attach with since its a magnet and it is drawn to my keyring already with a nice pull. Good thing is they are very strong magnets and it was free =)

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those magnets are so strong i think you will soon look for one weaker. try pulling those two halves apart, almost impossible.

now that said, I use neodymium magnet for checking jewelry and plated brass/copper. Except the magnet i have is the size of a pencil eraser X .125" and then to disguise it I hot glued it to my magnifying glass that I carry to every yard sale.

Both come in very handy.

Attachments

• Magnilook-Magnifier-W--Neck-Co-153531.jpg
    Magnilook-Magnifier-W--Neck-Co-153531.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 106

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those magnets are so strong i think you will soon look for one weaker. try pulling those two halves apart, almost impossible.

now that said, I use neodymium magnet for checking jewelry and plated brass/copper. Except the magnet i have is the size of a pencil eraser X .125" and then to disguise it I hot glued it to my magnifying glass that I carry to every yard sale.

Both come in very handy.

Now if you could just disguise the magnifying glass as a pair of reading glasses you'd be set!

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to put a small neodynium magnet (small ones bought in 2 packs at harbor freight for cheap) under a bandaid and wrapped around my ring finger. People thought i just had a cut or something and didn't realize i was magnet checking everything. I could pick something up and feel an obvious pull on my finger. Since i would pick items up with my pointer finger and thumb with the rest of my hand closed they never got tipped off by a random item jumping off and hitting my finger, didn't want to freak them out like i was David Copperfield or something.

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
There are a lot of beautiful trinkets that are silver-plated magnetic metals. Like Dan, my magnet is stuck to my loupe (magnetically in my case). I don't believe in scratching somebody's merchandise and then not buying it. If you're going to use a rare-earth magnet that will all but leap out of your clenched fist to attach itself to the nearest piece of iron, then have some courtesy and use padding so you don't damage the object. Any little swatch of fabric will do; cuff or shirt tail, bit of tablecloth, even a thin magazine, catalog or envelope. There's never an occasion when you're so naked and surrounded by hard objects that you can't provide this bit of respect for the item and the seller. Just sayin'.

kyrock

Jun 23, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I saw a small Mint Julip cup at the local Goodwill store. I wasn't sure if it was silver plated or silver. So what you're saying is if a magnet sticks to the cup it's probably plated. If not it should be silver?

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Today I saw a small Mint Julip cup at the local Goodwill store. I wasn't sure if it was silver plated or silver. So what you're saying is if a magnet sticks to the cup it's probably plated. If not it should be silver?

You're half right. The magnet test is simply a super-fast way to DISREGARD an item. It does nothing to VALIDATE it's value. Thus, if a magnet sticks, you can safely say it's not silver or gold. You don't have to examine that item any further. Move on.
If it doesn't stick, it could still be aluminum, copper or brass, you still have to take time to examine it more carefully.

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off I would like to say, DO NOT scratch things with a pocket knife or acid test them in stores where they are being sold. Also worth noting, don't scratch things with a random piece of metal you found which is copper or something because odds it transfers and you will think the new item is copper also. Instead why not use your noggin and just check for wear areas instead of damaging things (your eyes are your best tool), or pay the minimal price if you think it is worth the risk. This trick could be useful if metal detecting, scrapping, pulling stuff out for free, but trust me I have seen it happen, if you are caught scratching an item being sold at a thrift shop, antique mall, flea market, etc... You will get any number of reactions or combination of them (also gives pickers a very bad rap):

1. You are told DO NOT do that again or else.
2. You are told you WILL buy the item now.
3. You will have the police called.
4. You will be asked to never come back again.

Magnet test is a good cursory check on things if you suspect them not being real in the jewelry counter. However, with a powerful magnet I have seen some gold/silver jewelry still slightly attract to the magnet, also if there is a spring inside the clasp, odds are it will be attracted to a magnet. Also is jewelry that is partial junk and partially not. Also just because it doesn't stick to a magnet does not mean it is precious, there a are lot of junk metals out there that jewelry and other things are made of. Go test some pots in the pot area, or a lot of the blatant costume jewelry.

Last edited:

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
First off I would like to say, DO NOT scratch things with a pocket knife or acid test them in stores where they are being sold. Also worth noting, don't scratch things with a random piece of metal you found which is copper or something because odds it transfers and you will think the new item is copper also. Instead why not use your noggin and just check for wear areas instead of damaging things (your eyes are your best tool), or pay the minimal price if you think it is worth the risk. This trick could be useful if metal detecting, scrapping, pulling stuff out for free, but trust me I have seen it happen, if you are caught scratching an item being sold at a thrift shop, antique mall, flea market, etc... You will get any number of reactions or combination of them (also gives pickers a very bad rap):

1. You are told DO NOT do that again or else.
2. You are told you WILL buy the item now.
3. You will have the police called.
4. You will be asked to never come back again.

Magnet test is a good cursory check on things if you suspect them not being real in the jewelry counter. However, with a powerful magnet I have seen some gold/silver jewelry still slightly attract to the magnet, also if there is a spring inside the clasp, odds are it will be attracted to a magnet. Also is jewelry that is partial junk and partially not. Also just because it doesn't stick to a magnet does not mean it is precious, there a are lot of junk metals out there that jewelry and other things are made of. Go test some pots in the pot area, or a lot of the blatant costume jewelry.

Hey Twiasp, I wasn't accusing you, my previous post just followed yours. A band-aid is good padding too. I'm behind this post of yours 100%. Yes, I was gently referring to a new member. I have a reputation for putting my foot in my mouth so far that I can taste the back of my knee.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
To those that do the scratch test,you do realize that some silver plate antiques can go for huge amounts of money.

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Twiasp, I wasn't accusing you, my previous post just followed yours. A band-aid is good padding too. I'm behind this post of yours 100%. Yes, I was gently referring to a new member. I have a reputation for putting my foot in my mouth so far that I can taste the back of my knee.

Oh no way a attack at you batcap =) Just wanted to address the scratching and stuff to help out in the forum. Here is an example of what I saw once in an antique shop...

Walking around and saw some antique silverware sitting on a table, think it was labelled to be from the early 1800s or something, had some odd hallmarks on it, marked Sterling on the price tag. Guy walks up not far behind me, i saw him admiring a big ole fork. He took one of the other pieces of silverware and scratched the back of the end of the handle with the other, sat the one he used to scratch the item with down (it now damaged also), reached into his pocket and pulled out an acid bottle to test the fork, then wiped it clean. He looked at it some more then started to walk away. I got his attention and asked him, HEY did you just scratch and acid test that?!? He said yep, it's real silver!! I said, you are going to buy it right? Which he responds, NO, i just wanted to see if it was silver. I expressed to him that it was a 200 year old antique and that is not right, he blew me off and told me to mind my own business. Annoyed by his blatant disrespect for the shop owner and disgrace to intelligence or any sort of ethics, I went and made the antique shop owner aware of what he had just done to some 200 year old silverware that she had a very hefty price tag on. She darted over, approached him, which he responded with, well i just wanted to make sure it was silver. These were his options given, you WILL buy this and never come back to my store again, OR I will call the police and sue you to get my money plus court costs. He chose to fork the money out and he was so rude about it she called the police anyways, after the sly lady made a copy of his drivers license and got his information for "records purposes", she even supplied the police with a video of him performing his act and so they could recognize him. The police said since he had bought the 2 items there was nothing to charge him with but they would love to pay him a visit to impress on him how things could have gone.

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

The magnet is one of many tools to use and a way to move through the junk jewelry without taking time to stop, focus, and read any markings. I've seen a marking: "Silver over Copper". Your magnet won't attract and it means little to the quest of nabbing sterling as other silver grabbers are digging in the same box. Tableware and hollow ware in silver and silver plate can eat up time trying to determine if they are sterling, but one good sterling fork or spoon can bring $15-$20 in silver.... Some unmarked items you have to take a gamble on and if it's not sterling, hope to recoup your money by reselling it at your own garage sale... I've got some of those awaiting....:angel3:

I was watching a fellow standing in front of a glass door china cabinet that had large sliver platters, bowls, and candlestick holders in the upper level. He was working in his own shadow as far as having enough lighting. Painful to me, he took his time until he could see the markings on the bottom of every large piece. Right in front of him were two silver baby mugs he never picked up. I stepped up as he turned and left. Picking up the two baby mugs, each marked "$2", the magnet wouldn't have told me anything. On the bottom, and with my small 4" long L.E.D. light and 10x magnifying glass, I saw that one was plated and the other marked Sterling. I bought both. So use a magnet when and where it will help, but don't rely solely on it.

Right now, I'm trying to find out what a necklace with a fancy plate next to the lobster claw clasp means with the stamping,
"Str-P" means. It's a long learning curve, but fun!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread