Estate Sale 1/16/14 What should I try to buy? Jewery, plates, etc [photos]

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will be going to an estate sale for the first time in a good while on Thursday. I only can spend a few hundred maximum and would be looking to flip the purchases for profit. I am going to be looking mainly at the jewelry and hope that they don't overcharge [above spot], though I wouldn't know the value of most stones. If anything jumps out at you let me know and I'll try to target it during the sale. Here are some of the photographs provided:

-1.jpg
1.jpg
1.jpg
1.jpg
1.jpg
-1.jpg
-1.jpg

Like I said, I am only going for the jewelry unless I happen to gain further knowledge on other items. And even with the jewelry, I don't know what's worth going after (other than paying spot or less for a nice piece).

Here is the link to the estate sale with a bunch more pictures: Estate Sale by Bobbi Starts On 1/16/2014

I'll post on here what I end up picking up when I get back. Hopefully I don't come back empty handed! :)

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do recognize a lot as being costume from the pictures. Even so, are there any brands particularly that I should look out for as far as costume goes? I wouldn't be looking to spend much on it, but I would be interested in knowing if there are pieces that hold worthwhile value.

bigdaddywittenauer

Oct 22, 2013
Pay close attention to the necklaces that have the black and white. While I'm not there in person the black beads may be onyx and the white ones may be pearls; if not real a very good imitation.

jason4kstate

Jun 23, 2007
Look for signed costume pieces that have jewels or pearls. Those are highly collectible and go for pretty good money on Ebay. I sold a broken plastic jeweled necklace for $15 on ebay in the summer. If a piece is a solid color (i.e. Gold, Silver, etc) look for something that has a distinguishable design like a flower, feather, leaf, etc. They go for OK money. I usually buy costume jewelery that is less than a $1. If its tagged for more I walk away from everything because its a good sign the seller has gone through and priced everything with the BIN eBay price. Avoid Avon and look for Trifari, Sarah Coventry, Monet, and Napier.

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Look for signed costume pieces that have jewels or pearls. Those are highly collectible and go for pretty good money on Ebay. I sold a broken plastic jeweled necklace for $15 on ebay in the summer. If a piece is a solid color (i.e. Gold, Silver, etc) look for something that has a distinguishable design like a flower, feather, leaf, etc. They go for OK money. I usually buy costume jewelery that is less than a $1. If its tagged for more I walk away from everything because its a good sign the seller has gone through and priced everything with the BIN eBay price. Avoid Avon and look for Trifari, Sarah Coventry, Monet, and Napier.

Thanks that's a good tip. I'll try to only buy the costume stuff if it is bunched in a lot for a good price. I'll mainly be looking to weed out the fine jewelry just to be on the safe side. Hopefully there is some ;)

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pay close attention to the necklaces that have the black and white. While I'm not there in person the black beads may be onyx and the white ones may be pearls; if not real a very good imitation.

Are you referring to the third picture? The "pearl" piece does look like it could be genuine with solid gold bead spacers. I'll be sure to inspect it closely to be sure!

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
You guys must all know something I don't. I have a rather large bin full of costume jewelry just like this stuff. Guess I need to go through it for the 100th time?

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys must all know something I don't. I have a rather large bin full of costume jewelry just like this stuff. Guess I need to go through it for the 100th time?

Hopefully! :D I have to go through mine every time I learn about something new.. I have a few pieces of the mentioned costume jewelry brands. I'll have to .99 list them and see if I get any bites..

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have seen some nice sold listings for "crafty" lots of costume jewelry. Might be worth a try.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see several rings I would take a closer look at. Other than that I don't see much. I agree with Ben. I have about a 30 pound tub of stuff like that, most of it worth a buck or two a piece. Also, when it comes to estate sales, they tend to be way overpriced when it comes to the good jewelry, based on my personal experience in these parts.

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If they advertised with that many jewelry pictures, it will probably be a lot of jewelry people show up and dive into that area first, you can show up super early and hope there is a sign in list, or let them feast or famine on it while you quickly pick the other areas maybe looking for sterling bowls, silverware and such. By what looks like their tastes in nic-nacs i would make sure to check for silver platter/bowls, crystal and art also.

At the first few Estate Sales I went too these are what I have noticed the most:
1. Husband/Wife or partners teams that will move around with one blocking you out of a room or isle while the other picks through as fast as they can, unfortunately in my area they also get there super early in the mornings (talking hours before).
2. Little old ladies and men. They play the innocent cards a lot that they just didn't know or are slow. Keep in mind they are probably the most experienced garage/estate sales people, and will use age to their advantage. Much like a person pretending to not speak English but really does.
3. Some people will try and start up conversations to pick your knowledge and ultimately just end up wasting your time while most of the great items are snatched up. Politely find a way to move on.
4. Seems most estate sales i see have "friends" that usually subscribe to their website or something that they let in early to pick through stuff. Notice if you get there early some people that will walk to their cars and leave and usually cover their stuff up or have it in a box so its hidden from others outside.
5. Some have a sheet at the front or in areas that you can make silent bids on items that may not sell. If they have some items that are priced way too high they may accept silent bids and you could get a call that you won it and go pick it up for a much better deal. A kind of roll of the dice if you get it or not.
6. Guns are sometimes kept in secure locations, like in the car of an estate selling person. Sometimes they aren't advertised.

Last edited:

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
I see a couple of possibilities that don't involve jewelry. In the picture below is a ceramic figurine (on top, back left corner). It looks like a large piece of Lladro. Large Lladro figurines are very popular and often sell for well over $100. I have seen some sell for over $200. Check the bottom to verify the maker. Check very carefully for any chips, cracks, or repairs.
1.jpg

In the photo below there is a large amount of china in this hutch. My wife has done very well in the past with good quality, name brand china. Serving pieces such as platters, large bowls, soup tureens, salt & pepper shakers, sugar bowls, creamers, etc. do especially well. As always, condition is critical so check very carefully for chips and cracks.
-1-t.jpg

Of course, prices for china vary widely depending on the maker and the popularity of the pattern. If this is a "tag" sale run by a professional outfit, the prices on things are likely to be rather high so proceed with caution. Good luck!

Last edited:

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After being through literally 1000's of homes due to the nature of my work (no I'm not a cat burglar)it seems that I developed a good sense of what people have in terms of value. In evaluating contents I take into account the whole picture; furniture, carpeting, paint/wallpaper etc.. These clues help me decide whether or not if an estate sale will have the treasure that I'm looking for. People are creatures of habit and expensive taste is one of them. Granted there might be gems in a hovel but I play the odds.

From looking at the pictures of the living space. I get the impression that I would not find much that I would consider treasure. There might be some vintage items not pictured and that is what I would look for.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
After being through literally 1000's of homes due to the nature of my work (no I'm not a cat burglar)it seems that I developed a good sense of what people have in terms of value. In evaluating contents I take into account the whole picture; furniture, carpeting, paint/wallpaper etc.. These clues help me decide whether or not if an estate sale will have the treasure that I'm looking for. People are creatures of habit and expensive taste is one of them. Granted there might be gems in a hovel but I play the odds.

From looking at the pictures of the living space. I get the impression that I would not find much that I would consider treasure. There might be some vintage items not pictured and that is what I would look for.

Agreed. If this sale were local to me, I would not waste my time attending.

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tallone - thanks for the tip and I will check that ceramic figurine. I feel that is a great place to start considering it is unlikely to be the first item targeted.

I will be attending the sale at the very beginning. I don't feel like it's a home run of a sale, but given the current weather garage sales have been few. If I can invest 30 minutes of my time and come out with an item that resells for a $20 profit.. well.. that's a worthwhile trip for me. I'm still learning and worst case scenario is I come out with more knowledge than I've had before.

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
Closer inspection of the photo with the ceramic figurine reveals that the female figure on the right is holding a baby. I am fairly certain, then, that this figurine is of Joseph, Mary, and baby Jesus. I looked on ebay and on the Lladro web site for a similar figurine. While Lladro has done many similar figurines, I can't find one that looks exactly like this one. Of course, Lladro may have produced this one and I just didn't find it but it may be produced by some other maker. There are many makers of high quality ceramic figurines so even if this isn't Lladro it may still be a very nice piece (for the right price!).

I am also intrigued by the large glass bowl on the far right side of the same table. That bowl has the frosted look frequently seen in Lalique glass. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean it IS Lalique but it is certainly worth taking a close look.

When examining the figurine especially, look very carefully at the fine details such as the fingers, toes, and Joseph's staff. These fine details are notorious for getting broken and are value killers. I usually lightly run my finger over such details feeling for sharp edges. Sometimes my fingers find flaws that my old eyes (even with glasses) miss. Do the same with the rim of the bowl. Best of luck tomorrow! Let us know how things turn out.

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Closer inspection of the photo with the ceramic figurine reveals that the female figure on the right is holding a baby. I am fairly certain, then, that this figurine is of Joseph, Mary, and baby Jesus. I looked on ebay and on the Lladro web site for a similar figurine. While Lladro has done many similar figurines, I can't find one that looks exactly like this one. Of course, Lladro may have produced this one and I just didn't find it but it may be produced by some other maker. There are many makers of high quality ceramic figurines so even if this isn't Lladro it may still be a very nice piece (for the right price!).

I am also intrigued by the large glass bowl on the far right side of the same table. That bowl has the frosted look frequently seen in Lalique glass. Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean it IS Lalique but it is certainly worth taking a close look.

When examining the figurine especially, look very carefully at the fine details such as the fingers, toes, and Joseph's staff. These fine details are notorious for getting broken and are value killers. I usually lightly run my finger over such details feeling for sharp edges. Sometimes my fingers find flaws that my old eyes (even with glasses) miss. Do the same with the rim of the bowl. Best of luck tomorrow! Let us know how things turn out.

Thanks! I'll be sure to put all of that information into play tomorrow. Are Lladro and Lalique items clearly marked as such? I don't have experience in either, but inspecting for damage and makers marks shouldn't be a problem. If they are in genuine, in good condition and the price is low, I will pick them up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread