Todays Picks

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found some stuff today that I think I may try selling on Ebay soon. Will list what I know of them and hope some chime in if they know something right off the bat =)

1 Woven Mesh marked .925 GC bracelet, fairly weighty, still need to purchase a scale.
1 necklace (style unknown) marked 925 Italy Milor
1 marked 925 Italy Milor silver bracelet
1 tiny thin chain marked 925 PC
1 pair of earrings marked 925 FAS, big light yellow looking stones in them.
1 fairly weighty tennis bracelet marked 925 and something else to the right of it, will post a picture almost looks like a large letter M with a PF on the bottom right quadrant of the M. Stones in it are light blue and some sort of CZ or something also. (also has a safety on the clasp)
1 marked 925 China tennis bracelet. Very dark blue stones, when held up to the light i can barely see through and looks like there is a grain pattern in them. Also before the 925 mark there is some other mark, almost looks like the shape of a profile picture of a diamond.
2 rings, 1 marked MEX925, the other one is unmarked and looks handcrafted. It appears to have part of a 1901 indian head cent inside some enamel with odd slivers of red coral and turquoise.
1 bracelet that has 925 marked clasp, links seem to match the clasp and no clue as to the stone or plastic or something, will put in picture.
1 nice puka shell necklace that seems well made.
1 graduated bead necklace that the beads look like bone, even sound like it, but appears to be some grainlike patterns( sometimes they crisscross) in them like they were a very hard wood.
1 big giant ugly bone looking necklace with all sorts of carved beads and 2 hearts and 2 elephants.
1 small pair of maybe butterscotch bakelite earrings?!?!

Pictures to follow, soon as i get them taken and loaded into computer. Thank you again for any information in helping me learn makers marks and if i'm picking out the right stuffs.

Last edited:

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't sold a whole lot of silver on eBay, but the best piece I sold was a sterling CZ tennis bracelet that weighed about 19 grams. I started it at as a 0.99 cent auction and it ended at $50 + shipping. That being said, if you have a nicer looking sterling piece I'd sell it by itself and hope it does well. Good pictures & description are key with no matter what you are selling.

From what you've stated, it sounds like you've got a good lot so long as you didn't overpay. The 925 hallmark tells me its all fairly modern. Have you weighed the pieces yet? Also, have you tested the "bakelite" earrings?

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WARNING!!! PICTURE HEAVY!!! I tried to get some good pictures and doctor them on photobucket to help show the marks and such, sorry they aren't perfect looking, someday i will invest in a nice digital microscope that takes pictures.

Huge turquoise necklace, clasp looks old and is only marked Sterling on both sides, also the yellow'ish bakelite earrings, oddball bracelet with 925 markings (need help on what the plastic/stone stuff is please), and the 2 925 rings.

Close up of the bracelet.

Marked 925 Milor necklace, not sure on the style of this.

925 GC marked woven bracelet

2 marked 925 (one italy, one china, unknown marks) bracelets with unknown stones. The larger one has light blue stones and CZs or something, the other has super dark blue stones, when held up to a bright light I can see striations in the stones.

Pair of earrings marked 925 FAS, light yellow stones in them.

Bone looking stuff and a puka shell necklace. Also a close up mark of the graduated bone looking necklace.

OP
OP
T

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't sold a whole lot of silver on eBay, but the best piece I sold was a sterling CZ tennis bracelet that weighed about 19 grams. I started it at as a 0.99 cent auction and it ended at $50 + shipping. That being said, if you have a nicer looking sterling piece I'd sell it by itself and hope it does well. Good pictures & description are key with no matter what you are selling.

From what you've stated, it sounds like you've got a good lot so long as you didn't overpay. The 925 hallmark tells me its all fairly modern. Have you weighed the pieces yet? Also, have you tested the "bakelite" earrings?

I have not weighed the items yet, as i do not have a scale, and really need to buy one. Just looking around as i'm unsure of the limits of what i need on one are. The 925 woven bracelet from what i have seen on Ebay are a few and weigh approximately 40g, the other items i have no idea yet. As for the possible bakelite stuff, i have not found Simichrome polish yet locally so i will have to order some from online and since i'm moving soon i didn't want to order until i had my new address =). I did however rub them to heat them up and they smelled like formaldihyde.

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice! Those tennis bracelets will do well me thinks. I'm thinking the light yellow stones are citrine, but I'm no gemologist. :P

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The mesh bracelets, I get at least $125 and up for them sometimes $165. Just a heads up. So don't let it go for around melt.

AndyE89

Nov 19, 2013
Cresco, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, those are great pieces for ebay. I would start lower side of the value, and put a reserve for the first go around. Especially if you are first starting out, set the reserve at the LOWEST you will accept, and put the start at an attractive price and you should be ok.

OP
OP
T

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The mesh bracelets, I get at least $125 and up for them sometimes $165. Just a heads up. So don't let it go for around melt.

Good to know, they didn't look like they were selling for much on ebay, great heads up thanks =)

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea, those are great pieces for ebay. I would start lower side of the value, and put a reserve for the first go around. Especially if you are first starting out, set the reserve at the LOWEST you will accept, and put the start at an attractive price and you should be ok.

Reserve? Are you still watching the Cosby show by any chance? ;)

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please provide some examples of such bracelets that sell for this kind of money.

I have no idea how to add an example. I think I was a little mistaken though. The ones I sold I believe had a clasp. Under the woven mesh sterling bracelets.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I have no idea how to add an example. I think I was a little mistaken though. The ones I sold I believe had a clasp. Under the woven mesh sterling bracelets.

You cant find any examples that show the bracelets you described are selling for $125-165?

The only ones I can find that get that kind of money are Tiffany and Taxco.

OP
OP
T

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anybody know the makers mark for the bigger bracelet?
Anybody have insight on the meaning of the profile view of a diamond stamp before 925 on the other smaller bracelet? This is the 2nd time i have seen this diamond before a 925 and wondering what the meaning is to it.
Any tips on how to tell if an item is bone or ivory? Non destructive test would be best.

OP
OP
T

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great read, thanks Diggum! This makes me wonder now because looking at the graduated bead necklace i could see crosshatching hmmm. I took them to a jewelry that seems trustworthy and i have used before, he was very interested in them also. In his opinion they are bone of some sorts and definately not plastic, clay or glass, I checked them in with him and he said he will have his friend who is much more educated in bone/ivory check them out when he drops by his shop (no charge).

AndyE89

Nov 19, 2013
Cresco, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@ Iron patch.

I still love the Cosby show, and yes it is a little bit of a fetch, but as a new seller with limited experience or rep, it is never a bad idea. The fees may cost a bit more, but I dont see a way of adding up too many fees with a 10 listings a month limit.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
@ Iron patch.

I still love the Cosby show, and yes it is a little bit of a fetch, but as a new seller with limited experience or rep, it is never a bad idea. The fees may cost a bit more, but I dont see a way of adding up too many fees with a 10 listings a month limit.

With the listing being free why spend money on a reserve price when you can run everything through starting at the same price as that reserve number. A reserve is basically just a guessing game that you pay extra for, and these days people seem to just want to know the price and either they buy or not. I'm curious how often a reserve is used in general because the sellers who sell the items where my main interest lies have basically made it extinct. oh... I just did think of one seller who does it that I see on a regular basis, but he is the only one, and it's only for a few items out of a bif sale.

Last edited:

AndyE89

Nov 19, 2013
Cresco, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally never set one. It is a buyer deterrent. I have bid on some with them. I was trying to get a bulk load of cards that already had a start price fairly higher than I wanted to pay. Then I realized that there was a reserve after I bid, watched the item double in what I was not ok with paying, and it never hit the reserve. Last time I bid on that sellers auctions.

I may also be really cheap. Not sure.

"The boy told me he wants to be "regular people" when in fact what he is is "lazy" people. And if the regular people find out he's using their name, they're gonna come and kick his butt! " Cliff Huxtable- Cosby Show 1984

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions