Ebay questions

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I spent some time today looking around Ebay to figure out some stuff on how to list items and get them shipped. I have a few questions if you guys/gals would be so kind. Probably left some questions out, feel free to express if I have.

1. Not really understanding the shipping, does "Online" mean that I am getting the discounted prices through ebay, print the tag from my computer, then I just take the box down to a local USPS or whoever store to send it out, or does that entail that I have to have somebody pick it up from my doorstep? I really need to buy a scale before I start listing things, but am going to offer Free 1-3 day shipping in the domestic US for this first item (want to get it online before Valentines day since they Tiffany Co. Heart Earrings). Also do I need to insure the items or is there some protection from paypal or ebay if the item gets lost in transit, think it sounds like ebay tracks the shipping for me also for free. Also for jewelry how do you guys pack them up and what do you ship them in for earrings, rings, necklaces, etc...?

2. When listing items, is it best to be super descriptive in your title or just make sure you are as descriptive as you can be in your listings descriptions. Also are there key things to stay away from or add in descriptions to cover myself since I am no expert in finding every single aspect of something on the item I sell (Hoping the pictures will answer most questions)?

3. What do you guys put inside the box when you ship items? Do you put thank you notes, invoices, etc...?

Thank you for all the help and introducing me to this aspect of picking :headbang:

Bandit2

Jan 7, 2014
Portsmouth, Va.Metro-West Taxachusettes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally wouldn't try to sell any Branded Tiffany items on Fee Bay as they have been taking them down as fast as they are posted do to VERO Complaints .
Just one of Many selling Guides , Please research a little more , especially if it is a Garage Sale/Auction Find , before selling it there .
SELLERS: DO NOT LIST TIFFANY & CO for SALE ON EBAY | eBay

Bob
Ps
At the Live Country Auction we went to last week , they had some pieces marked Tiffany 14K and 25 up for bid , ( All the auctioner said was that You all looked it it ) they sold for way above spot price , and non of it was real or gold or silver .
( My wife never leaves home without her kit )

Bandit2

Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I personally wouldn't try to sell any Branded Tiffany items on Fee Bay as they have been taking them down as fast as they are posted do to VERO Complaints .
Just one of Many selling Guides , Please research a little more , especially if it is a Garage Sale/Auction Find , before selling it there .
SELLERS: DO NOT LIST TIFFANY & CO for SALE ON EBAY | eBay

Bob
Ps
At the Live Country Auction we went to last week , they had some pieces marked Tiffany 14K and 925 up for bid , ( All the auctioner said was that You all looked it it ) they sold for way above spot price , and non of it was real or gold or silver .
( My wife never leaves home without her kit )

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting post from that seller about Tiffany & Co. on ebay. All i get from that post though is don't guarantee people that they are authentic... which I never would. My jeweler says they are real, but still they could be real metals and not authentic, so I would never advertise as such. I will not be selling them with some little blue Tiffany pouch that I bought off ebay either to give the illusion of authenticity, it may lose some value but I put them in a nice hard felt covered jewelry box for earrings that I bought from my jeweler.

ezman604

Jan 8, 2014
West Coast of Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Bud 220 Select
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm curious HOW you would list Tiffany earrings if not as authentic Tiffany? Cosmetic look alikes?
LOL
Okay, with that aside, a little info on eBay auctions. I have been a buying/selling member since 1998. I rarely use the eBay mailing system but I did take a look the other day. An item that cost me around $8 to ship showed in their system as being able to ship for around $2.75. And if you process through their mailing option, you will print out a label, attach it to the package and just drop it in a mailbox or at the counter of the post office.
eBay protection does not cover loss in shipping. That is covered by your carrier and YOU would need to take out insurance on the item if it is that valuable. I BELIEVE priority mail may be insured automatically for an amount as UPS shipments are. But I'd check to be sure how much it covers and take out extra if needed.
Describe the items the very best you can. If a seller is dissatisfied that the description you supplied was not totally correct, they CAN file a claim with eBay for item not as described. Good pictures help cover you there.
And I always print a copy of the auction and write a personal thank you on that note. I buy multiple items from different sellers and it is VERY difficult sometimes to determine who earned feedback and who didn't. And to me, it lets the buyer know their purchase was appreciated. I try to treat folks the way I want to be treated. Many do not include anything in their shipments. To me it feels like, give me your money, here's the item now go away.
:)
But hey, that's just me.
Good luck!!!

Dave
8-)

OP
OP
T

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why even use the word "authentic" in the sale of the earrings. Let the buyer determine what they will from the pictures that will be posted. Listing something as Tiffany earrings isn't insuring that it is "authentic" in my eyes. Is this wrong logic? People list silver items all the time on ebay but they aren't what I call silver, it's what I would call silverplated, and their listings don't seem to be ended by ebay.

The mailing through ebay seemed nice for the discount since i plan on eating the costs, and mainly due to the tracking system that comes along with it. I thought it was just a discounted rate was all but still everything is done through USPS or whoever is chosen. This order will be insured yes, plus the insurance is cheap.

ezman604

Jan 8, 2014
West Coast of Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Bud 220 Select
Minelab X-Terra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just trying to help. :)
What others do and how they list could cause them some hassles. Just saying, try to describe the item as best you can to make the transaction smooth.
I won't hesitate to file a claim for not as described, especially when folks obviously misrepresent.
And like I said, I've never used the eBay mailing system. But may have to since it does seem to offer a discount.
:)

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I bought a pair listed as "Tiffany Earrings" and found out they weren't real, I would be all over it. You are just opening yourself up for grief if you use Tiffany in the title and they turn out to be fake.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting post from that seller about Tiffany & Co. on ebay. All i get from that post though is don't guarantee people that they are authentic... which I never would. My jeweler says they are real, but still they could be real metals and not authentic, so I would never advertise as such. I will not be selling them with some little blue Tiffany pouch that I bought off ebay either to give the illusion of authenticity, it may lose some value but I put them in a nice hard felt covered jewelry box for earrings that I bought from my jeweler.

If they are marked you absolutely have to guarantee them 100%, no exceptions. I believe it's also policy that a buyer does not have to return a fake item to be refunded, but that's just what I've read a few times having to do with watches, so can't say for certain that is how it is. Nevertheless, it doesn't change the fact you can't sell fake Tiffany earrings anymore than you can sell a fake Rolex watch.... no matter what you call it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So what is in place to protect the sellers from just being nailed constantly by forgers or thief's taking the item and yelling its fake, then if asked to return, they give a fake back np. Is it common for people to just snatch up Rolex's and other expensive jewelry and then just make a claim that it was fake, and the seller gets screwed over or sent a fake item back? Seems you guys are saying the only way i could use the words Tiffany or Rolex is if i had proof, say a receipt from a dealer or certificate of authenticity (both of which can be easily faked also). How is ebay littered with Tiffany & Co. listings? I'm not understanding and don't want to be scammed on my first sale by some guy reporting that it was a fake and keeping these earrings.

I appreciate all the advice, but now weary to ever even use ebay at all because it sounds like people run around making claims constantly that everything is fake so they get free stuff and the seller has no say or choice in the matter because they can't "prove" it. Just really confused now, was optimistic earlier today and now just skeptical of even trying such a system that seems weighted fully in screwing the sellers and massively favoring buyers. Is there no meaning behind "all sales are final", not saying "authentic" because you don't know if they are but are clearly stamped Tiffany & Co., "no return policy", etc.... If this is so i don't understand how Ebay works at all, who is to say every signed piece of jewelry that is sold isn't a fake or authentic?

Last edited:

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just don't like that the person in that post wrote it is illegal to sell a Tiffany & Co. item without posting the receipt. People can sell authentic items without a receipt and its not illegal. Nobody keeps receipts for everything. Most people probably receive them as gift and wouldn't have one anyway. While it may be against and ebay rule somewhere I wouldn't call it illegal. If it is an ebay rule they should link to it. Ebay frequently bends rules in their favor.

That said I have some authentic designer handbags that my mom had purchased that she wanted to sell but I don't want the headache. Too many fakes out there. I would highly suggest you start with a different item. I worry more about the words in the title than in the description. I use to worry a lot about the description but I think most people just look at the pictures. And yes I write a one sentence thank you.

Bandit2

Jan 7, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just Ask Yourself
If You Can't afford to lose it , plus pay for the privilege of doing so
Don't List It On Fee Bay using there friend Prey Pal
Use Your Friend Craig's List and take Cash Only
" I appreciate all the advice, but now weary to ever even use ebay at all because it sounds like people run around making claims constantly that everything is fake so they get free stuff and the seller has no say or choice in the matter because they can't "prove" it. Just really confused now, was optimistic earlier today and now just skeptical of even trying such a system that seems weighted fully in screwing the sellers and massively favoring buyers. Is there no meaning behind "all sales are final"

Also Signature Conformation Requirement is $750 for Fee Bay but Only $250 for Prey Pal ( it catches a lot of sellers off-guard )

A little food for thought that was posted this morning ( Seller lost $ 200 to a SCAMMER )
buyer returned a piece of paper, how can I fight m... - The eBay Community

Please spend a little time reading the Trust and Safety and Seller Boards
Found Here
Community Help Boards - The eBay Community
Especially these Three Community Help Boards
Trust & Safety (Safe Harbor) - The eBay Community
Seller Central - The eBay Community
Seller Protection - The eBay Community

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So what is in place to protect the sellers from just being nailed constantly by forgers or thief's taking the item and yelling its fake, then if asked to return, they give a fake back np. Is it common for people to just snatch up Rolex's and other expensive jewelry and then just make a claim that it was fake, and the seller gets screwed over or sent a fake item back? Seems you guys are saying the only way i could use the words Tiffany or Rolex is if i had proof, say a receipt from a dealer or certificate of authenticity (both of which can be easily faked also). How is ebay littered with Tiffany & Co. listings? I'm not understanding and don't want to be scammed on my first sale by some guy reporting that it was a fake and keeping these earrings.

I appreciate all the advice, but now weary to ever even use ebay at all because it sounds like people run around making claims constantly that everything is fake so they get free stuff and the seller has no say or choice in the matter because they can't "prove" it. Just really confused now, was optimistic earlier today and now just skeptical of even trying such a system that seems weighted fully in screwing the sellers and massively favoring buyers. Is there no meaning behind "all sales are final", not saying "authentic" because you don't know if they are but are clearly stamped Tiffany & Co., "no return policy", etc.... If this is so i don't understand how Ebay works at all, who is to say every signed piece of jewelry that is sold isn't a fake or authentic?

You're definitely overreacting to this. If you surveyed 100 serious sellers I'd be surprised if even one had a legit item switched up for a fake and sent back. And just think about it for a sec, if a scammer wants to pull this off for your $10,000 Rolex, just to make the attempt he has to send you the $10,000 to buy the watch! And if something goes wrong, he very well could be out the cash,.... so do you really think many are going to run that scam because it would be stupid! It's a whole lot easier to list the Rolex their self for sale because you can easily steal legit pics. The rest I'm guessing isn't really that easy to to pull off because PP holds the funds on new users. The one that is scary is the decent looking seller who falls on hard times and decides to run one big scam and then get out of dodge.... it is the most likely place a buyer, even a smart one, could lose a lot of money. Luckily not too many decent sellers turn evil overnight, but it can happen. There's also cases of good sellers selling fake items and not knowing, but usually these people will make it right. The fact all this gets you excited is simply because you have never done it. It's like not detecting because you think you'll dig a hole and get stabbed by a junkies needle and catch a disease. Sure it can happen, but it's a rare occurrence if you do everything right to prevent it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't consider it an over-reaction at all, maybe just a reaction to some of the posts. I do appreciate the comments from you Iron Patch and dumpsterdiver. I am done posting on this because it obviously started off in a very wrong direction and don't want to encourage this anymore. Maybe this is some peoples idea of cutting the competition, but it has not discouraged me. I will still list the few items I have, shotgun effect it, and what hits... hits. Fyi, I will never have any intentions of scamming people and if I accidentally sell something fake I will return their money with no problems (But if I feel i'm being scammed I will do whatever I can that is necessary to try and stop them from future offenses). Also I will primarily be selling a random few items picked here and there, not becoming some major ebay operator with buying/selling.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
You guys need to ask yourselves, how many people sell on ebay every single day. You are acting like these issues have never popped up before.

This stuff has been handled and dealt with. Ebay knows about it and policies are already in place to deal with it.

I strongly suggest you guys all read up on ebay's policies and rules, as written by ebay. I also don't understand the comments about not listing Tiffany items. Where do you guys get this stuff? Please stop passing along bad information...

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't consider it an over-reaction at all, maybe just a reaction to some of the posts. I do appreciate the comments from you Iron Patch and dumpsterdiver. I am done posting on this because it obviously started off in a very wrong direction and don't want to encourage this anymore. Maybe this is some peoples idea of cutting the competition, but it has not discouraged me. I will still list the few items I have, shotgun effect it, and what hits... hits. Fyi, I will never have any intentions of scamming people and if I accidentally sell something fake I will return their money with no problems (But if I feel i'm being scammed I will do whatever I can that is necessary to try and stop them from future offenses). Also I will primarily be selling a random few items picked here and there, not becoming some major ebay operator with buying/selling.

Another thing to look at is the high rate of feedback the vast majority of sellers have, and that's not because they're giving in to a bunch of scammers, it's because the system works well when you do everything right. Unfortunately on this forum you don't know if someone is replying based on their 20 ebay transactions, or their 20,000. Just for the record I'm replying from the 20,000+ point of view.

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
I put the following statement in every single one of my ebay listings:

"The pictures in this listing are of the actual item you will receive. Please look at the pictures carefully as they are part of the description."

I am always careful to include a lot of high quality photos in my listings. Good photos accomplish two things: 1) they help sell the item because these photos are really all the buyer has to make a decision; and 2) they help protect me from unscrupulous buyers claiming I sold them damaged goods. If there are any defects in the item I am selling, I include at least one photo of each significant defect. I usually don't include a lot of written description of the item unless there is important information that cannot be conveyed by photos.

Regarding shipping... I print shipping labels directly from ebay for several reasons. It is faster than writing or typing up a label. I get automatic tracking. I don't have to wait in line at the post office to get my package weighed and pay the postage. That last benefit alone makes printing labels from ebay well worth it because it has saved me probably hundreds of hours of time over the years. And besides, if there is one thing I HATE, it is waiting in line!

I only buy insurance for expensive items (especially if they are also fragile). I consider anything over $100 "expensive". Anything I sell for over about $200, I also buy signature confirmation as added protection.

I wouldn't fret too much about scammers. They are out there but they are rare.

Last edited:

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wasn't trying to discourage you from listing anything. I was trying to point out that not using "authentic" in the title or description doesn't relieve you of liability.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread