• 013.JPG
    013.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 306

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
I consider such messages a dead giveaway that the item is worth MUCH more than what is being offered. Thank him for his interest and tell him you will let the auction run its course. I will be happy to eat my words if you let the auction run and your necklace sells for $175 or less. It just stands to reason that nobody would make an offer like that unless they KNEW they were getting a bargain. Otherwise, why not just place a bid and hope to get it for $25? Or even set an auto bid limit of $175 and hope the auction ends below that.

This has happened to me several times and every time the auction ended well above the private offer price.

Good luck! It looks like you have a big winner!

Last edited:

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratz on a great find =)

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice!

I agree with Tallone 100%! You should also research to see what similar items have already sold for. In my opinion, you can't lose by keeping the auction open. You started your auction at $25, and hoped to make at least that, correct? You have a customer already willing to pay $175 so you know you can get AT LEAST that for it.

Also key note here: the buyer wanted you to message him first so that he could be online to buy it at that moment. Clearly he expects the item to fly as soon as you set it at that price/format.

OP
OP
B

billn1956

Jan 2, 2010
Well I went ahead and took him up on his offer.I did not find any like mine on sold listing on ebay.The one inson tis found is the same colors as mine but differant shapes.While it is possible I left money on the table he made a fair offer witch could be much more then what I would have got.So I am happy and if he has a market where he can make some, evan if it is as much or more than I made.I am happy and I am happy for him to.He lives in new jersey so hopfully he can make more but he will be waiting awhile most likely..Rember if it had sold at 25.00 it would have gone on its way so like I said I am very happy.And I have more, just not that color.

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush. I think you made the right move, after he has received it, maybe try telling him you are new to bakelite items and maybe he will give you some guidance on pricing and the valuable types.

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well at first I was stunned that it went for $175. But after reading the thread a few days ago about bakelite. I looked these up on worthpoint. I can't find yours exactly because it returned 3400 results that vary greatly in what is described as butterscotch. but I would have probably raised the minimum to $175 and let it go. I just cant pinpoint what determines the value.

Vintage Bead Bakelite Necklace Butterscotch - Egg Yo (03/18/2013)... $2000

Antique VINTAGE egg yolk Butterscotch AMBER no bakel (02/03/2013)... $811

theres one for $3000

Antique Natural Butterscotch Egg Yolk Amber Graduate (09/23/2013)... $9688 which i honestly dont believe. but who knows maybe bakelite bead are the currency of the future.

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 2nd and 3rd links are stated as being Amber items, NOT bakelite.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread