First sterling knife & first crystal? purchase

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Made it out to the thrift stores again today to find some overpriced sterling chains at the first(overpriced for spot, still very nice looking, but super dainty). I browsed around and after some searching came across a sterling-handled cake knife. It is stamped WEBSTER STERLING and has an engraving of Barry & Karen 6-22-68. $3.

Next I headed over to another thrift store where I browsed the glassware section for a few minutes. I know, I know. Insontis, you fool! You know nothing of glass! Agreed. I was armed with only the knowledge of "flicking" the stem of a crystal glass will reveal a thud if glass and a ring if crystal. There were a lot of items that appeared (to me anyway) to look like crystal, but I couldn't be certain. Some had hallmarks, none that I recognized from here, though. Not to mention there were no complete sets. I did come across a pair of champagne glasses that are in perfect condition and I believe rang when I flicked the stems. For $0.50 a piece I figured it was worth a shot for the pair. They have no hallmarks, but I should still be able to resell them for profit... right?

Again, no idea what I'm doing with ANY sort of glass. I really need to corner that market as I'm sure I'd get first dibs on most of what comes in. As always, your feedback is greatly appreciated and taken to heart. :)

IMG_1936.JPG
IMG_1937.JPG
IMG_1938.JPG
IMG_1939.JPG

IMG_1940.JPG
IMG_1942.JPG
IMG_1943.JPG
IMG_1944.JPG
IMG_1945.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hm.. had some weird issue uploading photographs, but they seem to be showing up. Was saying something about file type not being an image or something and not letting me post images before. Strange.

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool looking knife, is that a cake knife or something? Maybe used to cut their first cake at the wedding with. Did you see if the blade was magnetic at all or was the blade portion also sterling? Either way cool find =)

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those flutes almost look like something made by Waterford. I'll do a little looking and see what I can come up with. I guess their is no acid etched mark on the bottoms anywhere?

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, it is a cake knife. I found similar ounces on eBay that have sold for 15+ and there are currently ones listed for $40ish. A bit high I imagine, though.

Are Waterford glasses ever without hallmarks? I'll have to look into it. As I said I know absolutely nothing of crystal. Next time I go I'll have to bring a list of worthy makers and their marks to hopefully find some that I can know are good.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, Waterford stemware only had a paper label up until sometime in the mid 80's I believe it was.

twiasp- when it comes to sterling flatware knives, the blades are 99.9% of the time made of stainless steel.

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How much silver is usually in a knife that has a stainless steel blade? Are the handles usually hollow, solid, or weighted. That is a pretty cool looking knife no matter what though lol.

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
They are normally hollow, but then weighted, if you can get what I am trying to say. There is usually a nail or rod connecting the handle to the blade with resin around the nail/rod connecting the two pieces for weight and strength.

T.

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well i was wondering because i see knives in the silverware bins at various places and didn't know if it was worth buying the hollow ware handles for a .25 cents.

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
If the handles are actually silver, there would be more than twenty five cents worth there. Even hollow and the thinnest sheet of .925 possible.

T.

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is the meanest fiercest looking cake knife I have ever seen. I would have sworn carving knife until I saw the engraving.

How does everyone research modern stemware?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread