Wang Bing Rong

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, you hear me right...Wang Bing Rong as in the 19th century Chinese potter.
This Ginger Jar was picked up in a thrift shop by a friend of mine that doesn't sell
on the bay and would like me to sell it for her as I sell some items for her occasionally.

My problem is the jar looks right for his work but it does not have his classic blue stamp or signing hallmark that I see on other works. Do you think this is a repro? I don't know a thing about Qing dynasty pottery and the faded-red "China" mark may be a true red flag. :icon_scratch:

Here is a listing from the bay with the blue hallmark...RARE Chinese Qing Dynasty Wang Bing Rong ZUO Glazed Ginger Jar Vase 19th C | eBay

Attachments

• 0123141457.jpg
    0123141457.jpg
    375.9 KB · Views: 584
  • 0123141459.jpg
    0123141459.jpg
    333.8 KB · Views: 550

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FYI the red China mark started to be used in the 1890's for export. A glaring difference to me besides the absence of his mark is the glazing on the bottom of your piece; all blue. However it might be an old piece due to the way it's just marked China.

The reference to the mark is in the middle of the page

Chinese Porcelain Marks and Antique Pottery Marks

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
W

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FYI the red China mark started to be used in the 1890's for export. A glaring difference to me besides the absence of his mark is the glazing on the bottom of your piece; all blue. However it might be an old piece due to the way it's just marked China.

The reference to the mark is in the middle of the page

Chinese Porcelain Marks and Antique Pottery Marks
For sure! The piece does not show the age it should...the glaze in areas the originals don't have and the wear just is not there.

My friend is convinced this is worth many hundreds of dollars and has never had to deal with the wrath of a really disgruntled buyer. Ya know the type of person that you are selling for, paid $2.95 for the item, wants $195.00 and can't understand your hesitancy or slow selling of an item.

Last edited by a moderator:

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
I know nothing about this stuff buttt... I do sell a bit on Ebay and my feedback is well over 800 all positive. If it was me I would politely decline. Buyers these days will cut your throat in a heartbeat with bad feedback even if the mistake is their fault. Some guy convinces himself it's the real deal & pays too much. Then he finds out later it's a modern reproduction. You end up with a claim against you, he gets a refund, and leaves you a negative. All for trying to help someone else sell an item that's not even yours ? Pass...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions