Thrift Store Haul 1-26-14

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got back from a big sale at my local TS and picked up a few things for a quarter as well as some other jewelry. I paid only $18 all together, but I'm hopeful that I can do well with resale.

IMG_2005.JPG
IMG_2006.JPG
IMG_2008.JPG
IMG_2010.JPG
IMG_2009.JPG
IMG_2011.JPG
IMG_2012.JPG
IMG_2013.JPG
IMG_2014.JPG
IMG_2016.JPG

The gold colored necklaces hanging on the left and right are costume. Were a quarter each and are nice looking. Will pair them with a costume pendant for resale. Same goes for the bracelet hanging over the picture frame. It attracted me as it consists of a few polished stones with two carved into birds.

The briefcase that everything is displayed in was a quarter. No one bought it because they didn't know how to open the lock. I found the combination written in tiny letters on the bottom. It is a Samsonite in great shape and has "Hallmark" imprinted on the outside. I might just keep this for me.

The Mickey Mouse "statue" was a quarter. Not sure what I can get out of it, but there doesn't appear to be a logo or anything on it. There does seem to be two hearts carved into the bottom under the paint.

The watch that mickey is sporting as an eyepatch is a Bulova women's watch with a 10K RGP bezel. Vintage? Cost $2.

The three glasses were a buck a piece and have a sticker saying "Orrefors Sweden". I believe they are crystal.

The Coca Cola pins were a quarter on that frame. Probably is some worthless promotional thing, but for $0.25 why not risk it?

The silver chain in the center is a sterling piece from Avon that has baby shoe charms. Was $2.50 / about spot price.

The Dolphin ring was $1.50. About spot. I'm pretty sure they would have priced it much higher had they been able to read the 925 mark inside. Tarnish and some dirt covered it up leaving only a small spot of what appeared to be a dent.. lucky for me.

The ring with the chief head I thought might be silver as it was stamped "Mexico" and it appears to have a few tarnish spots. I've found a few instances where stamps from Mexico do not land properly/completely on the piece. Seems to just be silver plated, but apparently will still probably be my best find. I paid $5 and comparable pieces went for over $100: http://www.ebay.com/itm/FANTASTIC-V...D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

And lastly the small cross is sterling and marked 925 Thailand as well as ISX. Was priced well over spot at $3.75, but it is in good shape and I've been needing some sterling charms for some chains I have. Crosses seem to do fairly well on eBay.

Last edited:

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any thing else stamped on the Mexico sterling ring?

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The briefcase that everything is displayed in was a quarter. No one bought it because they didn't know how to open the lock. I found the combination written in tiny letters on the bottom. It is a Samsonite in great shape and has "Hallmark" imprinted on the outside. I might just keep this for me.

I am in for .50 on the briefcase.. might even go up to 70 cents.. how much profit you need to make ? 100 to 190 percent sounds fair to me

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any thing else stamped on the Mexico sterling ring?

Nope it is just sort of faded and looks more like /\exicc, which is why I thought there may have been more to the stamp. I did test it though and it does appear to just be silver plated. Still, like the other ebay listing it should sell for $100 as that one was also mixed metals.

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am in for .50 on the briefcase.. might even go up to 70 cents.. how much profit you need to make ? 100 to 190 percent sounds fair to me

Hehe, I'd rather keep it for that price! :) If I can't make at least $10 on it I probably won't sell it.

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
The silver ring from Mexico may be Taxco. I have several pieces like that, but I haven't bothered listing them yet.

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The piece itself could possibly be from Taxco, but what I've found is that most pieces from there are sterling and this failed the acid test. Taxco is an old mining town in Mexico with rich silver deposits and is a big tourist attraction & producer of sterling jewelry. This is why a lot of sterling jewelry from Mexico is stamped Taxco.

I haven't listed any of my Mexico sterling items yet, except for one ring that I included in a silver lot that I had sold for above spot. Not sure how well they do, but I have two pairs of sterling earrings from Taxco. Unfortunately they aren't in the best of condition and may need to be saved for scrap.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread