So I spend $99 on one thrift store item..

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, technically two, but it was sold as one.

IMG_2169.JPG
IMG_2170.JPG

4 grams.

What do you guys think? Good buy or overpriced?

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4 grams of what? do you have a device to test stones or have some sort of GIA cert?

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4 grams of what? do you have a device to test stones or have some sort of GIA cert?

Oops! They are both 14K. I will post the makers marks later. Diamonds appeared genuine by looking under a loupe. I'm not a jeweler, but I will take them to be appraised in the morning. Paid about 25/gram for them. I don't think that is bad even if the stones are not genuine. I figure I can get over 100 for the set, what do you think? If I had to guess I'd say the stone is a 1/5 carat by size.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you did alright. I can see that set selling for at least triple that, provided the stones are real. The channel set band should get $200 by itself, I would think.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with digs, I like it and can see where I would have paid that, if I needed the set.
Sweet little find!

fishwhacker

Oct 21, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Good find. Should make atleast $50 after ebay fees IMO. Possibly two or three times that to the right buyer. I'd get it listed immediately in time for the lovers holiday next month.

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good find. Should make atleast $50 after ebay fees IMO. Possibly two or three times that to the right buyer. I'd get it listed immediately in time for the lovers holiday next month.

Agreed. Do you I should list it BIN OBO around $350-400 so that someone can purchase it immediately and have time for it to be shipped before Valentines Day? Or do you think it would be better auctioning it off starting high around $250-300?

Still have to make it over to jewelers. Busy, busy today.

The solitaire band is marked "14K HDS". The other is marked with an atomic symbol and then "14K".

This is what the symbol looks like:

edit: I've read that HDS is the mark of Helzberg Diamond Shops. Is that accurate? It would make sense as I did get two Helzberg Diamond jewelry boxes from the TS a few days before.

Last edited:

fishwhacker

Oct 21, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
If I were you, I would pay $10-$20 for a formal appraisal and add that as a photo in your listing. If it costs more than that I'd just get a verbal appraisal or handwritten note. Jewelry appraisals are 99.99% of the time well beyond the actual value but people think they are getting a deal if a high number is on paper. Personally, I'd start it at $99 with no reserve in a 5 or 7 day auction. Make sure to include the ring size. You could also try a BIN of $300 but it may scare off people and would fail to get numerous potential buyers into a bidding war. At auction you'll probably end up with $200-$300. Make sure to let us know how it goes.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think a BIN is the only way to get the maximum profit out of these 2 pieces. Auctions just don't cut it for most items nowadays. I don't see anyone getting in a bidding war over items of which there are many various examples to choose from, such as these 2 rings. I would at least get the stones looked at by a jeweler for verification/size, if you are not familiar with identifying diamonds/gemstones. I would also break up the set and sell each as a single item. They are not really a matching set anyway. JMHO

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think a BIN is the only way to get the maximum profit out of these 2 pieces. Auctions just don't cut it for most items nowadays. I don't see anyone getting in a bidding war over items of which there are many various examples to choose from, such as these 2 rings. I would at least get the stones looked at by a jeweler for verification/size, if you are not familiar with identifying diamonds/gemstones. I would also break up the set and sell each as a single item. They are not really a matching set anyway. JMHO

I have only had some luck In a jewelry biding war once or twice. The first was a sterling tennis bracelet with CZ. Was bid over $50. The other was a 14k white gold box chain. Was only worth about $25 in scrap, but sold new $50 as well. Since then, I've been skunked a few times in auctions.

I might get out to jeweler this morning, but weather isn't so great. I will definitely ask about what they are worth or should be sold for before I decide to pay for an appraisal. I will throw them on eBay after that.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you could get as much as $150.00 for the set on ebay from a buyer looking to get engaged at a bargain. I would think a pre-owned set like that in a pawn shop would have an asking price of $180. to $200.? List it as "beautiful engagement set, "not scrap". But one time a guy returned a gold ring to me because it didn't measure up to the price of scrap and he crying he over paid. He had a feedback of 2 and I told him it's not a scrap piece as I said in the listing, but being I give 14 days to return, no questions ask I took it back and told him he needs to read all the description of a listing before he bids in the future. He didn't ask the weight of it and I didn't provide it, but a few did ask in the questions messages and I sent them a pic of it on a scale. They didn't bid. Was I wrong to list it without the weight? I'm not sure as I did say "Not Scrap"

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you could get as much as $150.00 for the set on ebay from a buyer looking to get engaged at a bargain. I would think a pre-owned set like that in a pawn shop would have an asking price of $180. to $200.? List it as "beautiful engagement set, "not scrap". But one time a guy returned a gold ring to me because it didn't measure up to the price of scrap and he crying he over paid. He had a feedback of 2 and I told him it's not a scrap piece as I said in the listing, but being I give 14 days to return, no questions ask I took it back and told him he needs to read all the description of a listing before he bids in the future. He didn't ask the weight of it and I didn't provide it, but a few did ask in the questions messages and I sent them a pic of it on a scale. They didn't bid. Was I wrong to list it without the weight? I'm not sure as I did say "Not Scrap"

I list the weight for all jewelry just because I know it helps me think about price in terms of melt. HH

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude, did you sell it?

Not yet! I listed them both on the high end OBO and have seen a little interest so far. I will probably lower them if they do not sell on this run or if additional interest is not seen. I'm not in a hurry to sell these pieces, but feel that I can get at least $300 out of them to the right buyer. We will see though. I'll update this thread as soon as one sells.

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dude, did you sell it?

The rings have each had a few watchers on and off since I first listed them (BIN). Today a buyer asked if I would drop my $180 asking price on the eternity band to $100. I told him I would add the "best offer" option to the listing and would accept as low as $140 shipped.

SOLD!

After fees that puts me at a profit of about +$18 and I still have the other ring to sell as pure profit.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread