Anyone see the new show "Thrift Hunters"

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last night while channel surfing I came across the premier episode of Thrift Hunters. It was an interesting show and gave a glimpse of successful ways of looking at items. But my personal bias is that it was staged. I was more interested in looking at the items on the shelves behind the shows hosts.

WorthPoint Experts' TV Show 'Thrift Hunters' Premieres Saturday - The Business Journals

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, I too stumbled upon it and it seemed to me the same thing, they buy something and then say what they think it's worth, but If I remember right it did show them looking the item up on the bay or Amazon on wherever. Did you happen to see (on the same channel) that those two auction hunter guys stop at a yard sale and buy some stuff and end up making a grip of money.I believe it is all staged. Goodluck!.............Scott.

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As interesting as the show may or may not be, I'd rather it not exist at all. I hope it doesn't convince more mindless masses to grab everything that "appears to be valuable". I personally don't want any more competition at my regular thrift stores. :skullflag:

OP
OP
Lost&Found

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the same feeling about it would make more people go out thrifting and as we have all noticed thrift stores have been raising prices. But, making people think they can easily go out everyday and turn $100 into $1000 is misleading. I've done it but that's on a very good day.

And for staging the host just happened to have a Tiki bowl just like he found at a store and sold it for $100.

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have the same feeling about it would make more people go out thrifting and as we have all noticed thrift stores have been raising prices. But, making people think they can easily go out everyday and turn $100 into $1000 is misleading. I've done it but that's on a very good day.

And for staging the host just happened to have a Tiki bowl just like he found at a store and sold it for $100.

That is misleading, yes, but if people are buying without proper research and time investment then I hope they swiftly reach the bottom of their wallets and move on.

Last edited:

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
I've seen it a couple times now. It seems to be fairly realistic. They show an item bought for $10 and sold for $27, which is a lot like what really happens. You spend your time, several bucks of gas, and knowledge to buy that $10 item, then more time taking pictures, cleaning it, making a listing on ebay, packing a box, more money on tape and printer cartridges making shipping labels, then you sell it and pay ebay their percentage, paypal theirs, then ship it and hope you don't have to refund the buyer their money for some reason or another and lose the $10 plus your shipping costs. After all is said and done and the buyer didn't return it, you might have made $7. If you can get the $100 item for $30, then you come out better with $35 net maybe. It's not a get rich quick scheme. It's not a get rich slow scheme either. If you work hard at it and learn a lot just like a mechanic or plumber learns his trade, you can make a living at it.

These guys look like regular joes turning a couple of days of searching and $200 bucks into $500 bucks before taking out fees and expenses.

ATPro4Life

Oct 3, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This show already looks like a joke. I'm at the near end of the show, and they're selling Viking book ends they have absolutely no knowledge on for $500. They do all the filming into one episode, so it's impossible to even see how much things go for. At the end of the day most of the items are projected profits, nothing more. First they ruined it with American Diggers, now Thrift Hunters is gonna turn the hobby/job into a joke.

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't like it, it only adds to the myth that thrifting is easy, when in fact it takes years of practice and work to develop your eye. Hopefully it doesn't spark too much thrifting mania, prices are high enough as it is. I don't have anything against people getting into the business, I just think that this show is making people want to do it for the wrong reasons. People will see those projected dollar figures and run right out the door, without realizing first that it isn't entirely about the money. I know half the reason I do it is because I love the thrill of the hunt, the money is what keeps it sustainable.

flinthunter

Jan 3, 2011
Illinois
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, V3i, DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First it was the storage unit auction shows. I haven't been to a storage unit auction in a year and a half because I can't afford to outbid the wanna-be resalers that overspend on units thinking they are going to get rich. Where once there might have been 20 people at an auction, now there are 50.

Then it was the metal detecting shows. These shows have gone out of their way to give the public a bad opinion of our hobby. Its making it harder to get permission to detect private property.

Now its the Thrift Hunters. I can just picture a mob of treasure hunters standing outside a thrift store waiting for it to open. What will they come up with next?

OP
OP
Lost&Found

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's next?

"Entitlement Hunters", how to profit off the government. My bad, it's already been done.

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As interesting as the show may or may not be, I'd rather it not exist at all. I hope it doesn't convince more mindless masses to grab everything that "appears to be valuable". I personally don't want any more competition at my regular thrift stores. :skullflag:

Funny you should say that. Ive been hitting GW more often lately and I think it has helped true seller not just the cliche people.Lets see in the last 2 weeks ive found 2 kitchen aid items brand new, a crystal nut dish with 925 marked rim, a new singer starter kit unopened 10 bucks resell 100, and the list goes on but it made my point. lol but i walk around and see these people grabbing stuff that should be tossed or .10 cents at a gsale marked $5 or more, and smiling thinking their getting a great deal! And GW is concerned about the "good" items that their overlooking the great items and marking those lower then the broken stuff.

So as much as it pains me to say this, I'm glad for it. Its helping clean the trash out.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now its the Thrift Hunters. I can just picture a mob of treasure hunters standing outside a thrift store waiting for it to open. What will they come up with next?
Down here it doesn't matter. These savages have been beating the doors down at thrift stores for many years. This is a whole different world down here. It is not America. Only someone that lives here can contest to that. This is an international melting pot for every third world, dirt floor, tin roof, shanty raised, heathen there is. This show won't affect that one bit. Besides, not everyone can actually do this consistently and make a profit. Most people just don't have it in them. For one thing it is a constant learning process. Most are not willing to put in the time and effort it takes to learn this "trade". I call it a trade because I know more than one person that makes a living solely off of thrift store findings. You could drive around 12 hours a day and hit a different thrift store for a week, never hitting the same one twice. That's how many there are in the tri county area. Now for those of you that live in the real U.S. of A., there may be a temporary surge of thrift hunters but as with everything new, the excitement will die down when they find out that it takes actual work, to make it actually work.

JustinNH

Apr 10, 2012
NH
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Compared to loosely similar shows, it was pretty good. No extra drama and I wouldn't doubt most if not all finds were legit. Think about this... its all down in a half hour show and they probably visit way more stores in a day, so only showing the best finds.

But yeah, some of the prices are up there. I did find their eBay user IDs. Interesting to see some of the items. They seem to do well with clothes.

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Down here it doesn't matter. These savages have been beating the doors down at thrift stores for many years. This is a whole different world down here. It is not America. Only someone that lives here can contest to that. This is an international melting pot for every third world, dirt floor, tin roof, shanty raised, heathen there is.

I can attest to this. Saturday morning garage sales and estate sales can be brutal. I've seen so many fights with owners and other buyers between these people, it's scary. I'm sure more gets stolen than purchased at thrift stores here. Thank God the weather is beautiful here.

Lafitte Deux

Jan 19, 2012
Western NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett's
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I can see it now.
Some people ran out and bought detectors after seeing American Digger.
Look out for those same folks swinging them along the Thrift store aisles, looking for Alaskan gold!

joesat47

Nov 1, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thrift hunters is total BS

I just finished watching thrift hunters on spike.What a load of crap.These guys bought old kodak slides with random family pics and they say they will flip for $100 dollars total bs also they said they sold an old marine uniform online for 107 dollars.Wow I couldnt watch this crap again.Total B.S. especially when you thrift hunt

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes i watched the show tonight for it was at about 20 miles from me in Chardon Ohio .. I had to watch it being so close to me..

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just finished watching thrift hunters on spike.What a load of crap.These guys bought old kodak slides with random family pics and they say they will flip for $100 dollars total bs also they said they sold an old marine uniform online for 107 dollars.Wow I couldnt watch this crap again.Total B.S. especially when you thrift hunt

If they said they sold the uniform for $107, then they did. Their ebay accounts are pretty well known and you can go check them out for yourself, just do a google search.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread