tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should add a 2nd listing also in the transportation collectibles category and add 15 more bucks to your price. Those are nice and like you say they're discontinued.

OP
OP
palidin20603

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
these have some seriouswear.

Attachments

• Jag CL 2.jpg
    Jag CL 2.jpg
    281.1 KB · Views: 86

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't understand the "discontinued" angle. Is that another way of saying "vintage"?

Sort of. To me it seems like a collector of a certain brand etc would be more interested in a piece that is no longer in production by that manufacturer. That being said the item is more rare than say an item currently produced and readily available from a retailer. Said item may not necessarily be more valuable, but that is up for the buyer to decide. This "discontinued" term seems to help them decide on a higher price.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Sort of. To me it seems like a collector of a certain brand etc would be more interested in a piece that is no longer in production by that manufacturer. That being said the item is more rare than say an item currently produced and readily available from a retailer. Said item may not necessarily be more valuable, but that is up for the buyer to decide. This "discontinued" term seems to help them decide on a higher price.

I know what the word discontinued means...

To me, arent most older items discontinued? Typically most items that are produced are done so in production runs and unless they decide to continuously produce an item due to popularity, they all eventually get discontinued.

My point is that the use of the term "discontinued" in this instance almost seems like some sort of marketing BS that doesnt really mean anything. I would probably use "vintage" in its place.

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know what the word discontinued means...

To me, arent most older items discontinued? Typically most items that are produced are done so in production runs and unless they decide to continuously produce an item due to popularity, they all eventually get discontinued.

My point is that the use of the term "discontinued" in this instance almost seems like some sort of marketing BS that doesnt really mean anything. I would probably use "vintage" in its place.

Perhaps they are interchangeable. I feel like if there is a similar version of the item that is currently being produced it may help clarify that it is not the same. That or if it was just discontinued recently. It pretty much is "marketing BS" either way. But if it helps the sale.. :tongue3:

OP
OP
palidin20603

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't vintage apply to a certain time period? My understanding is that vintage is anything 20 years old or older. These cufflinks are much newer than that. but they aren't making any more of them. to my knowledge. HH

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Doesn't vintage apply to a certain time period? My understanding is that vintage is anything 20 years old or older. These cufflinks are much newer than that. but they aren't making any more of them. to my knowledge. HH

Vintage - adjective

being of a specified vintage: Vintage wines are usually more expensive than nonvintage wines.

representing the high quality of a past time: vintage cars; vintage movies.

old-fashioned or obsolete: vintage jokes.

being the best of its kind: They praised the play as vintage O'Neill.

discontinued - verb

to put an end to; stop; terminate: to discontinue nuclear testing.

to cease to take, use, subscribe to, etc.: to discontinue a newspaper.

Law. to terminate or abandon (a suit, claim, or the like).
verb (used without object), dis·con·tin·ued, dis·con·tin·u·ing.
to come to an end or stop; cease; desist.

http://dictionary.reference.com/

OP
OP
palidin20603

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sold for $16. Ebay has been very slow. I took the offer.

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sold for $16. Ebay has been very slow. I took the offer.

Ebay has been pretty slow for me too these last two weeks. Heck, the only thing I've shipped so far this week was a return! $16 on a "$1" investment is pretty good if you ask me:occasion14:

OP
OP
palidin20603

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ebay has been pretty slow for me too these last two weeks. Heck, the only thing I've shipped so far this week was a return! $16 on a "$1" investment is pretty good if you ask me:occasion14:

Actual cost was $5 minus the sweet 40%er I got at face value.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions