Lillian Roth Autobiography

AtrumVorago

Dec 19, 2012
My girlfriend has a copy of Lillian Roth's autobiography "I'll Cry Tomorrow". It is signed by her to the Eastland Group. Enclosed is 2 pics. She is looking for any info that may point her in the right direction in her research. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

photo 2.JPG photo 1.JPG

desertmoons

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2008
My girlfriend has a copy of Lillian Roth's autobiography "I'll Cry Tomorrow". It is signed by her to the Eastland Group. Enclosed is 2 pics. She is looking for any info that may point her in the right direction in her research. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Please post pictures of the copyright and publisher page. The edition needs to be determined. In this case it will not state First Edition even if it is. The publishers page needs to be seen.
After the edition is determined, one wants to look at the condition. Is the spine good? Are the pages loose, spotted, wrinkled, torn or underlined? Is there rubbing and bumping on the cover edges?
Any other defects? For example I am suspicious of that red spine. Is it tape?

Then the inscription must be researched. Was the Eastland Group a war time unit or was it a stage play group? Or something else?

After all that, go through it page by page to make sure all pages are there.

Not having the dustjacket dcreases the value but the inscription increases the value. Signed or inscribed first editions with dustjacket are listed for 50.00 -75.00 for mid range sellers. The inscription could raise the price significantly depending on who and what role the Eastland Group played in history and in Lillians Roths career. That inscription might turn into a nice story.

addall.com - the used section - is a good site to check for more obscure books.

View attachment 948947 View attachment 948946

OP
OP
AtrumVorago

AtrumVorago

Dec 19, 2012
Thank you for all the info you have given. My girlfriend has had this book in her possession for 20 years and is not as interested the the value of the book, as to information about the connection to Lillian Roth and the Eastland group. Haven't been able to find anything on who or what the Eastland group were or are. Her story is about a well known actress who can out about her alcoholism. And if read the inscription it says "The Eastland Group..... You are the reason that there are no more tears today." So any other info or directions that might find the story behind the inscription. As you said and she says, it may just turn into a nice story on its own.

photo 1.JPG photo 3.JPG photo 4.JPG

OP
OP
AtrumVorago

AtrumVorago

Dec 19, 2012
Still looking for information about the inscription in this Lillian Roth book. Any help is greatly appreciated. Again not to worried about the books value as to more about the story behind the inscription.

Mar 2, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,
I think I have the answer to your question. The Eastland Group sounds like an Alcoholics Anonymous group. Each "home group" of AA has a name. The eastland group had to be an AA meeting that helped the original book owner get sober. "You are the reason there are no more tears today".

OP
OP
AtrumVorago

AtrumVorago

Dec 19, 2012
Thank you for your information. So where is the Eastland Group located? Any other info about the Eastland group?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread