Clothing anyone?

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had two tokens end at 99 cents 2 times in a row with no bids and two people go in a bidding war on the third time to get it to over $20.... but $11k!!! I think something else was going on here.... wow!

The 99 cent listing seems to have been an error on the part of the seller. Wanted to bid for laughs, but "seller has cancelled listing because item is no longer available"

Edit: The listing ended Jan 23rd, so definitely seller error. Stranger things than an 11k sweater have happened, so I believe that figure is closer to the actual value...

Last edited:

xrunndonex

Dec 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 99 cent listing seems to have been an error on the part of the seller. Wanted to bid for laughs, but "seller has cancelled listing because item is no longer available"

Edit: The listing ended Jan 23rd, so definitely seller error. Stranger things than an 11k sweater have happened, so I believe that figure is closer to the actual value...

Or someone rich throwing their money around.

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 99 cent listing seems to have been an error on the part of the seller. Wanted to bid for laughs, but "seller has cancelled listing because item is no longer available" Edit: The listing ended Jan 23rd, so definitely seller error. Stranger things than an 11k sweater have happened, so I believe that figure is closer to the actual value...

it says it got 1 bid, but it doesn't let you click on the bid to see who bid. maybe the seller bid on it himself and ended the auction? can you do that? still a mystery if you ask me. if I missed your point let me know I'm real curious here

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or someone rich throwing their money around.

that's what I thought too but it looks like there were several different bidders bidding it up. I checked his selling history and he sells ralph lauren polos for hundreds all the time. so I guess they are just rare and desirable. and lots of rich people are throwing their money around! still weird about the 99 cent bid though unless the seller bought it himself or really screwed up the listing somehow (and lost out on 11k)

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's strange. The 99 cent sweater looked to be active when I tried to bid on it. When I put in my bid amount I was directed to a "listing cancelled because item no longer available page". So either it is a "completed" item misclassified as sold or a listing ended by a dummy account for some reason.

I do not think it's a stretch that someone bid that high on a vintage RL sweater. They've been big on the hip hop scene for a while now. I seem to recall Kanye West wearing a Ralph Lauren vintage Polo Bear sweater in some magazine. And since he sells his own sneakers for $12k a pair, I have no trouble believing Kanye or another celebrity endorsing an otherwise low value item would induce a ridiculous bidding war. Similar RL vintage sweaters are netting thousands, so the 99 cent listing has to be an error.

PAyoungin

Dec 8, 2006
Schuylkill County, PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 Hopefully
Haven't posted in years but I wanted to jump in on this because I live in NYC now and don't thrift much (too pricey in the city, everyone knows what they have).

Through four years of college I made some big, big money buying and reselling clothing. I've only lost money two times: women's hollister shorts and a women's Ralph Lauren button down (I'm a dude); learned a valuable lesson: ONLY BUY WHAT YOU KNOW

Trends will come and go but name brand is everything. EVERYTHING.

Some of the best margins came on snap back hats (pay $1-$3/hat, sell for $35-50)

I used to keep really, really detailed spreadsheets with the item, what I paid, what it sold for, and my shipping costs in order to find my ROI- like someone else said, it's generally not big money but there's always inventory out there.

Parting tip: fluorescent, SURFSTYLE windbreakers (you can legit walk into an thrift store and walk out with 2-3 of them), easy money.

Back into the abyss of the big apple..happy hunting

PAyoungin

Dec 8, 2006
Schuylkill County, PA
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 Hopefully
ALSO..sell in season

Vtg swimming trunks arent flying off of the shelf in the winter
Vtg football clothing isnt selling during baseball season
etc

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread