Clothing anyone?

JustinNH

Apr 10, 2012
NH
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know it is not as exciting as actual trinkets and items, but I've been looking at clothing for the last few weeks for nice and new or interesting pieces.

In the last two days, I found a few good items (Tommy Bahama, Orvis, Armani Ex, Patagonia), but 4 were really nice.

Burberry dress shirt
Robert Graham dress shirt
Paul & Shark 1/4 zip sweater
Howie Day (musician) signed concert t-shirt (looked like a scribble, but I did a double take and some research and it looks legit. It is not worth the cost of authentication or anything, but I thought it was a cool find.

I think the first three items retail new for $700 total. Might get $150 in total on ebay (all in great shape, Paul & Shark a little more worn but other two look perfect). Total cost $15.

I would never spend that kind of money (even the pre-owned eBay prices haha), but holding the shirts in person, you can see the quality of material and work that goes into them.

Attachments

• Shirts.jpg
    Shirts.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 121

My Precious

Feb 10, 2009
Adirondack Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't spend a whole lot of time searching for clothing but if it's there and the price is right I'll snatch it up and turn it for a quick profit. I keep my eyes open for designer jeans, vintage Levi, wool hunting clothes (it's here in the Adirondack Mountains), and I don't know if any of you guys have ever searched Ebay for vintage Rock and roll T-shirts but they bring big money, like into the hundreds of dollars.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found a few t shirts in the past but nothing too exciting. Most recently was an Andy Irons Pipe Masters t shirt. I have some 1982-83 Miami Dolphin Superbowl & Championship t shirts that I've been holding on to. If they ever have a winning season, i'll sell them lol. Bunch of fair weather fans they are.

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
I know it is not as exciting as actual trinkets and items, but I've been looking at clothing for the last few weeks for nice and new or interesting pieces. In the last two days, I found a few good items (Tommy Bahama, Orvis, Armani Ex, Patagonia), but 4 were really nice. Burberry dress shirt Robert Graham dress shirt Paul & Shark 1/4 zip sweater Howie Day (musician) signed concert t-shirt (looked like a scribble, but I did a double take and some research and it looks legit. It is not worth the cost of authentication or anything, but I thought it was a cool find. I think the first three items retail new for $700 total. Might get $150 in total on ebay (all in great shape, Paul & Shark a little more worn but other two look perfect). Total cost $15. I would never spend that kind of money (even the pre-owned eBay prices haha), but holding the shirts in person, you can see the quality of material and work that goes into them.
I guess I'm amazed that people who can afford to spend $150 on 4 USED shirts would do their shopping on Ebay. Good score I think. I wouldn't have a clue what to look for but 99% of my shirts don't have buttons... LoL.. Back when I had my own auto repair shop I would buy trash bags full of T-shirts at the Salvation Army for $4 a bag to use for rags and it never failed that I would find a couple to keep & wear..

Last edited:

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One thrift store I go to sells clothes at decent prices. I've bought quite a bit of quality clothing from them that still had tags, not for resale, but to wear. I found a couple of County Seat long sleeve shirts (with tags) for $3 each, probably could have turned a good profit, but they sure kept me warm this winter.

OP
OP
JustinNH

JustinNH

Apr 10, 2012
NH
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I can't believe how nice some of the shirts are-- lots still have tags. I've found many nice $100+ new or ''new-ish'' shirts for myself for $1-4. I'd rather keep those for myself and save $ than sell them for $20 and make $10 after fees, etc. Bunch of nice Ralph Lauren blue tag shirts, etc.

There are certainly some crappy ones in there, but even after looking for 3 or so weeks now, I still get amazed on some of them.

The t-shirts seem to be more 'used' than dress shirts. Haven't found much for T-shirts, except for a new Armani Exchange one and maybe one or two promotional ones.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Reselling clothing is a whole new game. It is also an area I do not wish to venture into, personally. Congrats to those who found some nice scores.

Atlanta Mi Dave

Feb 19, 2009
Atlanta, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark and Tesoro Cibola Minelab 505, Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I collect Pepsi & Budweiser. We went to a sale in Alpena Mich. and there was a bunch of Budweiser clothes in brand new condition. The girl having the sale said her boyfriend worked for A/B at one time. I got two driver coats for $2.00 each, 2 pair of pants for a buck each and 3 pair of shorts for 1/2 a buck each. Brand spankin' new! I wear the driver coats daily up here in the frozen north. Normally I do not look at clothes at all.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I collect Pepsi & Budweiser. We went to a sale in Alpena Mich. and there was a bunch of Budweiser clothes in brand new condition. The girl having the sale said her boyfriend worked for A/B at one time. I got two driver coats for $2.00 each, 2 pair of pants for a buck each and 3 pair of shorts for 1/2 a buck each. Brand spankin' new! I wear the driver coats daily up here in the frozen north. Normally I do not look at clothes at all.
I have a pair of Budweiser suspenders somewhere!

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took a tip from a guy about clothing. So the next time I went to the thrift got a few items he said sells great for him. 3 weeks later still in the closet and 3 views per listing term lol. And of course we wear 2x and these are all large to xlarge.

But I see a guy in the store I go to same guy in all. He will run around from rack to rack filling carts of nice ckothes that he resells on eBay and flea markets. So it is possible to make money doing it.

TreasureHunters

Sep 21, 2009
Salem Oregon
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took a tip from a guy about clothing. So the next time I went to the thrift got a few items he said sells great for him. 3 weeks later still in the closet and 3 views per listing term lol. And of course we wear 2x and these are all large to xlarge. But I see a guy in the store I go to same guy in all. He will run around from rack to rack filling carts of nice ckothes that he resells on eBay and flea markets. So it is possible to make money doing it.

Maybe he lied so you wont compete, threw you off to buy stuff that will not sell while he gets the goods?

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took a tip from a guy about clothing. So the next time I went to the thrift got a few items he said sells great for him. 3 weeks later still in the closet and 3 views per listing term lol. And of course we wear 2x and these are all large to xlarge.

But I see a guy in the store I go to same guy in all. He will run around from rack to rack filling carts of nice ckothes that he resells on eBay and flea markets. So it is possible to make money doing it.

Oh, you can definitely make money from it. One of the gals that frequents this board does pretty good with clothes. Poly mailers make shipping easy too.

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Half of my business is clothing. I look for vintage pieces--especially the 1960s & 1970s disco, hippie, etc. Generally, I pay around $3 to $6 per item and list no less than $29.99--it is not big bucks, but they do sell. :) Keeps me running at $500 a month--vacation $$$ at a nice resort! apush

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I guess I'm amazed that people who can afford to spend $150 on 4 USED shirts would do their shopping on Ebay.

I have a friend who is a multi-millionaire, and he buys almost all of his clothes from ebay. He loves high end golf shirts, and generally picks them up for $10 to $20 each.

His philosophy is that money saved is money earned, and he does look good in those new and lightly used clothes. You'd never guess that most of them were bought second hand!

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Good finds! Yes, there is money in clothing.

I get a lot of name brand stuff at Good Will in perfect condition and turn around and take it to that upscale consignment shop. I've made some good money there. I do it there rather than Ebay because I can't be bothered with the pictures, shipping, etc. I just give in the stuff and pick up my check.

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe he lied so you wont compete, threw you off to buy stuff that will not sell while he gets the goods?

Lol yea I could see where you could think that but were in different markets as far as items we sell. I'm not out much and already got my $5 bucks back with 1 shirt the rest being profit, gotta love half off coupons. I've gotten into so many markets lately I need to get back to my niche, kitchen wares and household/antiques. Useful stuff. Leave the clothing to you more experienced folks till I have disposable income lol. Good luck out the everyone.

Oh yeah to clear it up it wasn't the same guy that I see at the thrift stores. It was a guy I know from work that gave merge clothing tip.

DGfinder

May 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For those others who are younger and in college and in a cold state with no garage sales selling clothes is a great way to make extra money in the winter. I pick up about two things a day and eBay them then pay my rent with the money it works out pretty nice.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Good finds! Yes, there is money in clothing. I get a lot of name brand stuff at Good Will in perfect condition and turn around and take it to that upscale consignment shop. I've made some good money there. I do it there rather than Ebay because I can't be bothered with the pictures, shipping, etc. I just give in the stuff and pick up my check.

Do the consignment shops pay much?

We find name brand stuff occasionally, and I've often wondered how well the con shops pay. We take most of our clothes to an indoor flea market, and anything that is name brand and clean with a decent price sells like mad.

Do these shops only sell your items on consignment, or do they buy outright too?

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Do the consignment shops pay much?

We find name brand stuff occasionally, and I've often wondered how well the con shops pay. We take most of our clothes to an indoor flea market, and anything that is name brand and clean with a decent price sells like mad.

Do these shops only sell your items on consignment, or do they buy outright too?

Depends. Shop around. The store I use the most is a 50/50 split. The stuff really moves there. The last few weeks every piece has sold. There is another store where the split is 65/45 (I get the 45). The stuff barely moves. I've made about $20 between the two stores where I take stuff.

The stores that buy outright are a rip off. It just depends if you want fast money. Look at the clothes there. They will pay you about a 3rd of the price. If you find vintage stuff, you may do better at a vintage store. The store here bought a bunch of my stuff. Just do your homework. Most of the stores have websites, and they say how they work. Make sure you try and find an upscale one. They mark the prices higher, and for some dumb reason, people pay those prices.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They mark the prices higher, and for some dumb reason, people pay those prices.

They know their clientele, perceived value.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread