Navajo sterling hand wrought necklace

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool lunchtime find. $5.00 and should bring 300.00. 30 inches 72 grams. Going to move through local auction house to avoid Craft Act problems.

ForumRunner_20140312_141440.png

acevillav

May 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Great score ! How did you ID this as Native American ? Please teach so I may learn. Ace Villa-v

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Always looking for those and have had no luck yet. Great buy!

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great score ! How did you ID this as Native American ? Please teach so I may learn. Ace Villa-v

That's one you pretty much have to learn. Although it is sterling and the beads are handmade and put together by hand. The clasp or The ends of the necklaces are always a good way to tell too I think they're normally triangle shaped.

image-1010344141.jpg

OP
OP
randazzo1

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all for your comments.

I agree with beachkid. the beads are individually hammered and soldered together. The shape of the beads and the overall design indicates NA construction. The cones and the hook clasp suggest the same. That said, it's a sticky issue. The Indian Arts And Crafts Act (1990) prohibits the sale of any item marketed as Native American unless it was made by a member of a recognized tribe or someone designated a tribal artisan by a recognized tribe, nation etc. the fines are insanely steep for violation. I've spoken with the Crafts Board on several occasions and written them twice. vintage pieces are a real grey area (post 1935 because law not aplplicable to pre '35). If the item is unsigned and doesn't have a known provenance it's difficult to prove one way or the other without relying on construction of the item. The statute provides no guidance. A strict interpretation would prohibit 99% of the supposed NA items on ebay etc. The auction house will authenticate and broker the sale so we don't have to deal with it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread