Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2013
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Feel free to show more. I enjoy looking at nice coins. I can't believe you bought gold coins. I can't even find them at coin shops in my area much less at a yard sale. I hope your foot injury isn't serious. If you are eating Ramon noodles next week the oriental noodles are pretty good . When my parents kick me out of the house in a few years I will probably live off of Ramon Noodles.

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, heck of a find. Seems like you got the whole treasure chest!

His wife said she is keeping the gold and diamonds. Who knows what else they have. Alot probably. But she will call when she's ready to sell. Also they have a camper the size of a bus they want me to list on eBay for them.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend of mine down the road bought a box of pennies from him also. There was 12 flying eagles. A 1909 S Indian head. A super nice 1873 Indian. All but 5 of the whole set of Indians. 2 full rolls of Indians, and 200-250 Miscellaneous Indian heads. Also about 300 wheat pennies. I have to go to his house later today and look to the wheat pennies he has no idea what any of them are. But he said nothing is after 1930! So if there's a 22 or SDB I will take some pictures for you all. After what I've seen from this collection I would not be surprised. He paid $50 for them all!

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
His wife said she is keeping the gold and diamonds. Who knows what else they have. Alot probably. But she will call when she's ready to sell. Also they have a camper the size of a bus they want me to list on eBay for them.

Great connection. Icing on the cake is that none of it appears to be scrap. You've made out quite well I'd say - be sure to update us on this lot and any other ones they offer up!

Man, if I had that opportunity I'd have to make back and forth trips to quick-flip some of the gold just so I could afford to buy it all, ha

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the 5th time this has happened. The largest with gold but 2nd in size. The last one had 100 Morgan's and 10 rolls of halfs, 10 quarters and dimes. Silver was $19/0z. I think I forked out $4500.

This works every time. I bought a small set a year ago for $1800. Silver was $26ish. Had two Small gold coins in it. Like 1/20 oz.

Every time if they have coins, ill ask what they are going to do with them. Most say nothing, I don't know what they are worth or going to a coin shop. OK. Good start. Next I'm honest. I'll say if your interested, I can tell you what they are worth so you know ahead of time before you go in there blind. That opens the door right there. So now, you have to know what your looking at and be honest. I asked him what he thought the gold coins were worth and he said $175 total! And I told him no they're worth more like$ 2000 but he had another five dollar gold coin too. I went through the sets and I told him what he would expect a coin store to get for them and what most people pay for them which is melt or sometimes a tiny more. So after he showed me everything which I just kind of looked at the tubes that are clear so I could see quarters and had sorted out what was just regular coin, I estimated his set to be around $4000.- $4500. So I left at that. And came home. I called him an hour later and asked if he would take $3000 cash.

I get to his house and he wants to keep the gold. But after 10 min of trying to figure out a price for all the silver I set the money on the table. He looked at it and said I'll sell the gold with it as long as I can keep one of the $5 gold coins. (There were 3) I said I think he should, I have one from my dad I would never sell either. And he said OK! Sounds good. Deal done.

He has a business and knows I have to make some profit. I didn't expect so many key dates, but then I have all the work of selling it too. So I will keep the gold unless I get it graded. And the 1914s quarter. All the rest will find new homes. There is a sweet 1904 o Morgan in there along with an awesome 1921 peace dollar. Basically there is 2 of every coin. One ugly one really nice. I enjoy it and I also have a business where I sell for people on eBay. So I'll get to see his whole estate as he said his kids only want the cash. After he sees what his fist stuff sells for over a yard sale.... Well~ I'm sure ill be busy!

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And the hits keep coming! That is a score most of us only dream of. I can't find crap lately.

You seem to find alot of great stuff though, I learn alot from you too. Along with everyone else too! Thanks for all your info! And I'm sure a good find is right around the corner! Have a good weekend!

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Headed back to look at the Three cent pieces, buffalo Nickles and some pics of his camper to list. Plus he has some other stuff he wants me to look at too so we'll see how goes!

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After going through everything. These were the two hidden gems. It will be hard to bring myself to sell them.

image-1676455700.jpg

Attachments

• image-3760016330.jpg
    image-3760016330.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 100

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow,you really get some good deals

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update: I broke even at this point. I have left;

7 gold coins,
1914 s barber quarter
3 Carson city coins
1885 nickel
1 roll of silver quarters,
1831 half
1875 S half 1875 quarter
All the jewelry est about $2300-2700
35 half dollars 90% silver
18 Morgan's at auction ending this week.
15- 2 cent coins
18 seated liberty dimes
1853 & 1877 quarter.

And don't feel like doing anything else for a day or 2!

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
Next I'm honest.

Excellent point.

In all of the years that I've been buying and selling, I have found that the best buys and deals grow out of being 100% honest with people.

When I buy from someone in a face-to-face deal, I routinely say "It is worth more than I am offering. You can get more for it on ebay. I plan on reselling this and making a profit."

Keep up the good work.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just sold off 15 of the semi key date coins for $715 cash. All the key dates and gold coins are left. Easily another $4000. Plus 10 more Morgan's. will sell the rest as needed, although, we want to buy the house we rent so it may be sooner then later.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread