English Sterling Condiment(?) Thing

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Picked this up about an hour ago. Haven't looked up the hallmarks yet. Going from memory I'm thinking sterling & London. Maker's initials are LS. This came from a "professionally" run sale that had everything marked sterling priced at 4-6 times melt. This wasn't priced. The lady running it knows I buy sterling & asked if that's what this was. I'm not in the habit of telling lies but I'm also not going to do her job for her. I ended up telling her they were hallmarked but I'd have to test them to know for sure. She priced it slightly under melt. Unfortunately I didn't get any spoons with it. Obviously some sort of salt/condiment. Anyone have any idea what to call it?

Attachments

• 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 88
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 95
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 111
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    41.8 KB · Views: 118

jason4kstate

Jun 23, 2007
Wow what a score! Looks like L Spiers with a 1867 hallmark, Birmingham mint. Top right looks like a mustard pot, the bottom is a salt cellar, the top might be for relish, and the top left looks like its for pepper but that's just a guess. Not having the spoons is not that big of a deal.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really nice find, I'm sure in that condition worth more than melt. :notworthy:

Keep @ It and HH ! :hello2:

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds! You can't wrong with PM's if the price is right!

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just doing a bit of tidying up on some older threads, mainly for the benefit of anyone searching the site for information.

The 1867 Birmingham Assay Office (not ‘Mint’) mark would be a letter ‘S’ but I see a gothic lower case ‘m’, which is for 1886. A gothic lower case ‘m’ would be 1867 for London, but they didn’t use the same sequence as Birmingham. L, Spiers is correct as the maker. I would expect it to do better than melt, too.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread