I wouldnt have even looked at this twice.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• chickencup.jpg
    chickencup.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 126

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't have given it a second thought. Amazing the value of some things!

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because I collect chinese porcelain I would of recognized it but would not have thought it was real until it was authenticated. (Especially with all the fakes out there).

I was at a wedding yesterday where I got a lead on a collection of oriental art. The groom is 80 and the bride 83. He is moving into the brides apartment when they get back from their honeymoon in China. He wants to downsize his collection. He invited me to see it and described it as having some "very precious items".

Maybe I'll be lucky. I will update after I see it.

acevillav

May 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
I would have bought that for the look of the piece , its way cool. Great find :-{ )

OP
OP
GibH

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It wasn't really a find for anyone, it seems everyone has known what it is since it's been changing hands. I was just commenting that if I saw that somewhere I probably wouldn't have even looked twice at it. That thing is tiny, hell, it's almost too small to do shots out of.

S

stefen

Jeez...and we just sold a service of 12 in our yard sale...

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
"When you buy a chicken cup... You don't just buy the object, you're buying centuries of imperial admiration (for it)."

I found that funny, until I really pondered it.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It wouldn't surprise me that some place out there sitting in an antique shop, flea market or in somebody's attic in an old trunk is a piece or two of rare antique Chinese ceramic. I see Chinese ceramic here and there, but do believe them to be a recent reproduction piece, but still very beautifully made. I think it very rare to even come across anything older then 70/80? years of true antique Chinese made ceramics. Most old pieces I find will be Japanese brought back by the G.I.s or purchased from the Victorian times...I buy all the antique books I can find at the thrift stores as the old printed info still has allot of great information you will not find on the web. I did find a reference to two antique Chinese wine cups in a 1989 Miller's Intl' antique price guide. The value then was between $50 to $67.5k. What would the value be today? Keep looking folks, a better then average knowledge could be the key to your success.

Attachments

• wine cup chinese.jpg
    wine cup chinese.jpg
    351.4 KB · Views: 71

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Because I collect chinese porcelain I would of recognized it but would not have thought it was real until it was authenticated. (Especially with all the fakes out there).

I was at a wedding yesterday where I got a lead on a collection of oriental art. The groom is 80 and the bride 83. He is moving into the brides apartment when they get back from their honeymoon in China. He wants to downsize his collection. He invited me to see it and described it as having some "very precious items".

Maybe I'll be lucky. I will update after I see it.
Heck yeah! Sounds like a good lead...Keep us posted on any goodies you find.

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The newlyweds left for China today and will be back in 15 days. My wife has seen part of the collection and has told me that he has collected many types of Chinese jades. It gives me time to read up on them.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The newlyweds left for China today and will be back in 15 days. My wife has seen part of the collection and has told me that he has collected many types of Chinese jades. It gives me time to read up on them.
Indeed! When I hear, there's these folks in their 80's wanting to down size, my heart rate goes up some. In 22 years it will be my turn to sit back and watch the pickers licking their chops over my stuff.:laughing11:

voodoo

Nov 10, 2013
calgary
Detector(s) used
AT Gold, Pro pointer AT, Lesche digger, Garrett digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
learn something new everyday
:icon_scratch:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread