diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought this book a few weeks back. It's in rough shape but it was only a couple dollars so I bought it. Mainly because of the content. I haven't tried to translate anything yet but I will. It seems to be written in both Russian and also French. I think it is some type of art and poetry book. It has some nice pictures in it. Many of them are protected/covered with an "engraved" sheet of transparent cloth that has a hallmarked stamp on them. Here are some photos to look at. Any ideas as to what this book is?
DSC06471.jpg DSC06469.jpg

This is the outside, completely covered in fabric. Inside cover page 2nd photo.

DSC06473.jpg

an example of a photo in it.

DSC06476.jpg DSC06472.jpg

the protective cover sheets with the hallmark

DSC06468.jpg DSC06484.jpg DSC07035.jpg

These 3 photos are like sectional pages that divide the book. The first one (mermaid) is the very first page in the book.

DSC07030.jpg DSC07032.jpg

this is the next page in the book, the index. Each of the 3 sectional pages shown above has one of these after it

DSC06486.jpg

This little card is actually applied to the page of the book, not printed in it. It's in the middle of the book somewhere. Translates to "Subject to a jeweler"

Attachments

• DSC06480.jpg
    DSC06480.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 130
  • DSC06496.jpg
    DSC06496.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 134
Last edited:
OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm thinking this is 3 separate books that have been combined to make one book maybe.

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
That is an interesting book. I would have picked it up for $2! I think it would be hard to sell because it is in such bad shape, but personally I would not want to get rid of it. Have you done any research on it?

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Okay, that didn't take too long. I guess I should have waited before I posted this thread. It seems this "book" is a bound compilation of the first 3 issues of "Zolotoe Runo" or Golden Fleece. An illustrated literary and arts magazine publushed in Moscow from 1906-1909. As for value, I have found a similar "book" which has the first 2 editions. The condition is much better I would guess. He wants $75,000 rubles ($2112.97) for it- Google Translate

Zolotoe Runo (Golden Fleece), an illustrated journal of art and literature.Zolotoe runo was published monthly in Moscow from 1906 to 1909 with the financial backing of manufacturer N. P. Riabushinskii (editor and publisher). The main Russian symbolists united behind it: at first, V. la. Briusov, D. S. Merezhkovskii, A. Belyi, and Z. N. Hippius, and later, Viach. Ivanov, A. A. Blok, and G. Chulkov. The journal and the exhibits of contemporary Russian artists that it arranged displayed a mysticism and subjectivism in relation to art: artistic creation was proclaimed a religious act. The exhibits of Zolotoe runo acquainted Russian spectators with the newest tendencies in Russian and Western European art of the late 19th and early 20th centuries.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an interesting book. I would have picked it up for $2! I think it would be hard to sell because it is in such bad shape, but personally I would not want to get rid of it. Have you done any research on it?
I'm hoping the rarity will help override some of the condition problems with this. Since it is actually 3 different magazines that have been bound, i'm hoping the hardbound cloth covering (which is the worst part as far as the condition goes, won't detract too much, value wise. Most of the book pages themselves are in good condition. I've noticed the raggedy looking part is mainly the protective (loose) rice paper covers on some of the illustrated pages. Some of the other illustrated pages have the cloth type protective covers that are bound in the book as opposed to the loose laying rice paper protectors, which may or may not be original to the book.There is some chipping on the front cover of the no.1 mag. I noticed the same thing here - Results - Visual Arts Data Service: the online resource for visual arts with this front cover-

c0242-01.jpg

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice. Did some reading on the Golden Fleece artists, they ultimately moved away from their Symbolist roots and embraced more modern styles that were revolutionary at the time. They were significant artists in themselves, and helped introduce a lot of significant artists to the world through their publications and exhibitions. I don't think an art museum would scoff at what you have, would try contacting one and seeing if there's any interest.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Oddjob

Silver Member
Aug 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
RD1000, GSSI Profiler EMP-400. GPZ 14 & 19
Primary Interest:
Other
I actually do not pay any mind to Russian items, that is only because I can not at all read between the lines. My Russian language skills are pretty much limited to "Show me your hands" & "I will shoot you in the leg and you will be rapped in prison as a cripple".

Just kidding.

But seriously when I say read between the lines I mean that I can not translate literal and political per State based on that current leader and beliefs of the author(s). I have found that the one who can do that have done very well for them selves, but then other collector like my self normally just end up in very hot water figuring one item is really hot and then its not and passing up another and it was on fire.

What I am saying is that I know enough to find my self in debt, but also I know my limits.

This item does catch my eye, again I know not enough to keep up in Russian. But I do know someone who is well versed. I am going to screen shot these and see what he has to say. I will PM you with what I find out. I would be the first to say that it is a very controversial item to have been published for that time. But again, I do not know the author(s), their beliefs, their State politics. I only can speak to the nations politics at the time that Moscow dictated.

I will let you know what I find out.

kot63

Jan 14, 2019
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500 Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Golden Fleece. The magazine is artistic and critical. Full set of numbers for 1906-1909 2,400,000 Russian Ruble equals
37,521.22 United States Dollar

kot63

Jan 14, 2019
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500 Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KnigAnt.ru
Интернет - магазин антикварных книг

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread