2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bought this a few yrs ago for $1 at a local ma and pa thrift store. At the time I thought maybe it was ivory but I bought it for the old glass beads. I saw something on the antiques roadshow that was jadeite and made me think of this piece. I dug it out about a month ago or so, took pics and researched and cannot identify the hallmark but I am sure it's jadeite. It's set in silver floral bezel where there is a sliding spring type clasp that inserts into the bezel. I'm trying to date it or learn what the mark is/identify anything about it really. There is a stamp "LIU" and a faint Chinese symbol. No luck at all on either. I feel that it is very old piece though. Any thoughts or ideas or ways for me to research?

image-2532595319.jpg

image-3660269138.jpg

image-2814143405.jpg

image-565632603.jpg

image-222955568.jpg

image-2726094775.jpg

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your necklace definitely looks antique Chinese. As for the stone being jade, I couldn't say for sure, but does look like a hand carved stone of some kind. The last picture looks like a jewelers mark saying LIU ??. Being they knotted each bead to me says it's a well made and valuable piece. I will say the mounting looks to be real silver. My guess it was made maybe in the late Qing Dynasty to the early Republic of China period around the first part of the 20th century. I looked for info on line, but couldn't pin anything down for sure on it. The links below lead me to the best idea of what it may possibly be. For me it's hard to positively identify antique Chinese silver and jewelry. I don't understand Chinese and some times they use British looking hallmarks and none of it makes scene to me. I think your necklace will have a good value on it, as it is an old and beautiful piece.

Antique Chinese Sterling Silver - Collector Information | Collectors Weekly

Chinese Export Silver Marks I - Online Encyclopedia of Silver Marks, Hallmarks & Makers' Marks

OP
OP
2Minnesota

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks tamrock :) Happy to hear someone else thinks it is possibly antique Chinese. I did research the encyclopedia of silver marks already and cannot for surely decide what mark this is... maybe Canton or Hong Kong. I also sent emails with pictures to a group of historian Jewelers and one to a woman I found on the Antiques roadshow website. I sent the Roadshow one a month or so ago and haven't gotten a reply and most likely will not. The other I just sent so hopefully they will be able to point me in the right direction for help but again, I am not really expecting a reply. This forum and eBay are by far my favorite websites to visit. Everyone has interesting stuff and ideas, always something to learn. :)

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a beautiful piece. Those beads look similar to the ones shown below that came off a Chinese or Mandarin court necklace. I think your piece should be shown to an expert like this person- PrivateCollection She owns the website that shows the second photo below PrivateCollection's

ANTIQUE CHINESE PARTIAL COURT NECKLACE BLUE PEKING GLASS BRASS SILVER MOUNTS | eBay

crt6.jpg

and the ones shown here PrivateCollection's | PictureBook | 11-07-12 Chinese Court Necklace -

Chinese_Mandarin_Court_Necklace-0.jpg

Both of these show beads that came of off a 19th century Chinese Court necklace.

Last edited:
OP
OP
2Minnesota

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the links Digs! The blue beads are almost identical to mine. Someday I hope to have the ability you seem to have when it comes to finding info. The key word I needed for the beads is "Peking". I am going to email the first person.... Let's hope for a response!

OP
OP
2Minnesota

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will do. :)

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent job Diggum, I'm with those beads being older then the pendant. Each one looks hand made and must have taken some time to add all those small cuts in them...
Great little heirloom you've 2MN if you don't go selling it. Who knows what the value of that piece will be in 20 years?...To me it's a real treasure.

OP
OP
2Minnesota

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The email I received yesterday...

View attachment 977556

Story to share about this piece: A couple years ago when I got this (fairly new to reselling on eBay) I listed it on eBay with no research first as "antique glass beads with possible ivory pendant". Or something very close to those words anyway. I Had several bids with in the first few hrs. And then eBay pulled the listing and said I can't sell ivory. That is when I put it away and forgot about it. That was probably a blessing in disguise!?! Thanks all for your input.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The email I received yesterday...

View attachment 977556

Story to share about this piece: A couple years ago when I got this (fairly new to reselling on eBay) I listed it on eBay with no research first as "antique glass beads with possible ivory pendant". Or something very close to those words anyway. I Had several bids with in the first few hrs. And then eBay pulled the listing and said I can't sell ivory. That is when I put it away and forgot about it. That was probably a blessing in disguise!?! Thanks all for your input.
Your attachment link doesn't work.

OP
OP
2Minnesota

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image-1033091454.jpg

Sorry, I just took a photo of it now. It doesn't say much...

geak

Tenderfoot
Feb 3, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Second to the last picture looks like the Chinese character for silver. Not positive about the purity but .999 would be my guess. Liu is a common Chinese name... probably the makers mark.

OP
OP
2Minnesota

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I believe it is one Chinese character. Similar to the Canton or Hong Kong marks in the photo below.

image-179991466.jpg

OP
OP
2Minnesota

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today's letter. Now I need to follow upon the links she have me and try to find someone around here.... I live in a smaller town with only a couple jewelers so I may need to travel an hr or to. We will have to see. Tomorrow I may have time to search.

image-1915935875.jpg

OP
OP
2Minnesota

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On hr or two**. Geesh, it's late!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today's letter. Now I need to follow upon the links she have me and try to find someone around here.... I live in a smaller town with only a couple jewelers so I may need to travel an hr or to. We will have to see. Tomorrow I may have time to search.

View attachment 979712
Well that sucks. She could have at least said something relevant... anything. I guess she just wants people to look at her pictures. Good luck.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread