Would you spend $400 on a .5 ct diamond solitaire and a channel band?

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is basically new territory for me and I don't know much at all about the resale of .5 ct diamond rings. Basically, I have the opportunity to buy two palladium rings for $400 total. I haggled a little with the seller but they refuse to go any lower. The solitaire band has a .5 ct center diamond that is a round brilliant cut with diamond accents on the sides.The channel band has tiny diamonds wrapped around. My question basically is this: in the reselling world, is there enough/any room for profit with this much invested? I am hoping that I could resell the .5 ct to cover my initial investment with the channel band being the profit.

I know pictures would help with the assessment, but I'm more or less looking for general guidance. $400 is a lot for me to tie up right now on just two items. If its a slow sell with a low profit potential I should definitely pass on it. I just want to make sure I'm not being stupid and about to pass up on a good deal.

As always I appreciate your feedback, thank you!

Last edited:

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Run far, far away if it doesn't have GIA certification or some guarantee that the stone is actually half a carat. Do you know the cut, clarity, etc? Is the palladium weight substantial to the value of the ring? How do you even know the diamond is real?

If you don't know these characteristics, you will have to pay for a pricey (and basically useless) private appraisal, or an even pricier GIA certification, which can be hard to get. I have heard they will not even look at some stones. Never went that route, but I speak from experience trying to sell metal detecting finds. Diamonds are almost always a disappointment unless you're the jeweler.

If you're tight on cash,there are much better ways to invest the 400. Would put it out of my mind unless there's something special about the rings that makes them more worth the risk (designer, vintage, unique shape etc). But if I only had the information you gave to go on, I would walk.

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Without seeing it or being positive they are genuine good grade diamonds I'd have to pass. I personally do not have any experience with palladium buying or re sale. Search eBays completed listings to get an idea. Here is one I found....

http://bit.ly/OZ4NA4

Also, in my eBay search many said platinum even though I had not searched "platinum". Just an FYI to watch when you search.

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Metals are objective. Diamonds are subjective and largely a scam in my opinion. I would not buy unless it was a great deal which this does not appear to be.

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
You can't say without seeing the diamond, its simple as that. As far as I'm concerned, when I buy diamonds, I pay 100 a carat. Why? Because I know I cant go wrong paying that. I cannot lose money. Then again, I know not to buy ugly black/brown diamonds. As far as platinum goes, I would pay 70% of melt, or something around there. Usually when I buy gold from private people, I pay $10 for 10k, $14 for 14k, $18 for 18k, etc. That's all by the gram of course. I have all my test kits, and know for sure if what I am buying is real. Gotta keep an eye out for moisenite(no clue how to spell it) as well, those look just like diamonds.

Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Garret Master hunter Cx Plus
Primary Interest:
Other
Gemstones are considered a luxury item.The economy is just about tanked.If it should suddenly crap the bed you'll be holding something thats worthless to everybody except you.Take the 400 bucks and buy something that can be used,worth,something,should and when,that event occurs.Just my 10 bucks worth.Sorry no such thing as 2 cents worth anymore.Inflation.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree with everyone else. If you don't know what your buying don't buy. ??? Lets break it down, Palladium is around $26 a gram. (4/14/14) Average band weighs 4-8 grams so say $26x6g is $156.00. A Carat diamond on a "low end average" is around $300 a carat. .5 carats is $150 + $156 = $306 So with a ruff guess of what you have, you can see. :icon_scratch: If you sold it to a dealer you would loose $94.00 or more. :BangHead: So even if my prices are not right here or there its still likely you won't profit on this one. :dontknow: I think its good you asked instead of letting it walk or buying it. :thumbsup:

Keep @ it and HH !! :hello2:

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you everyone for your feedback.

As far as paperwork is concerned - I emailed them asking if they had any of it from when it was originally purchased from Zales. They said they had it and would photograph it & email it to me later.

As far as a picture of the rings, here it is:

aa.jpg

The 1/2 ct center diamond is surrounded by 14 small diamonds. The other band ring has a total of 15 small diamonds.

I know that palladium is comparable to 14K gold in price. I've found a few 1/2 ct 14k solitaire rings (without accents) go for around 300-400 alone on the Bay. There is one that was a similar designed 14k ring that sold for $700+. As I said before, I'm mainly hoping that the solitaire ring alone would pay for my investment with the band probably bringing 150-250 in pure profit.

I'll post what information I get from the paperwork and probably run the idea by a jewelry consignment shop to see their opinion as well. I know this wouldn't be a home run investment, but I'm still wondering if it would be a worthwhile flip. I see a lot of .5 ct solitaire rings (gold, not palladium) listed on both eBay and craigslist anywhere from $300 to over 1.5k. The rings I'm looking at seem pretty nice quality compared to some of the lower end ones I see selling/listed on these websites... but you guys be the judge. Thanks again.

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So you totally ignore everyone.... ??? Good luck, let us know when it sells and what you get for it... :occasion14:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems you totally want to forget what everyone told you to run away. It is never a good investment to buy jewelry with the idea of resealing it for a profit. You are stuck on thinking "that its real, its real." Having paperwork telling you its value can be faked too. CZ's can be made to pass diamond tests and the only way to test if to drop it in water and see if it sinks when out of the setting. CZ's float and can be treated to fool a tester on the major facets NRA#.JPG .

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure what I said to make you guys think im ignoring anything that was said. I just posted additional information and what my thought process was for considering this deal at all. Some people say don't buy without paperwork - so I requested paperwork from the seller. Some people said they pay by the carat and it would depend on how nice the rings are etc.. So I provided a picture for further input..

If anything, I'm listening to exactly what I am being told and am only asking if new information would by any means make this a worthwhile set. And no, I would not buy it without having the stone information verified by a jeweler. I am cautious about counterfeit pieces and everyone here has put extreme emphasis on that. My main question is if all is as it appears to be and is a best case scenario, could these rings be resold for profit? If the main stone has excellent cut, clarity, and color, would it still not be worth it? If that still would not make it worthwhile then there really isn't a need to investigate the rings any further and declining is the only option. Im only providing additional information because many people said if I don't know, don't buy. I agree with this and am trying to gain the knowledge. As far as an investment goes, most seem to think it isn't worthwhile to resell. I'm in league with that and am just trying to be thorough an make sure in not missing anything.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
You also realize that no matter what the paper work says,the diamond could of been replaced with junk if it was ever brought to an unscrupulous jeweler for cleaning etc. Personally I stay away from gemstones unless I find them when im out looking for them.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I know pictures would help with the assessment, but I'm more or less looking for general guidance. $400 is a lot for me to tie up right now on just two items. If its a slow sell with a low profit potential I should definitely pass on it. I just want to make sure I'm not being stupid and about to pass up on a good deal.

If this is an item that will stop or seriously slow down your business you shouldn't even be considering it. Your projected profit is low, it's a bigger chunk of your operating funds than you are comfortable with, & you don't know enough about the item.

I read all the posts on the forum. Your posts lead me to think that your business model tends towards paying high wholesale with the idea of selling at high retail. Nothing wrong with that if you have plenty of working capital & time. Lack of either one & you need to consider adjusting your business model.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just my personal opinion but if your looking for quick sale with nice profit I would skip it....

There is a lot of markup on jewelry when first sold and worth a fraction of its original cost on resale..... A 1/2 c. diamond isn't that special...

Just my opinion is all..

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just my personal opinion but if your looking for quick sale with nice profit I would skip it....

There is a lot of markup on jewelry when first sold and worth a fraction of its original cost on resale..... A 1/2 c. diamond isn't that special...

Just my opinion is all..

American by birth, Patriot by choice.

I would rather die standing on my two feet defending our Constitution than live a lifetime on my knees......

Yeah, basically I was looking for more information on the size of the stone itself. I know that jewelry has insane mark up in retail, but I was hoping there'd be enough room to buy it and still be able to sell it at a price a potential buyer couldn't pass up. It seems that the cost of the set is too steep for resale though from what most are saying - even if everything checks out. Being as it is my first encounter with a diamond that size I just wanted to be absolutely sure before making a decision.. and from what's been said I don't think there is anyway I could be absolutely sure about buying it short of a guaranteed buyer already being lined up.

OP
OP
I

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You also realize that no matter what the paper work says,the diamond could of been replaced with junk if it was ever brought to an unscrupulous jeweler for cleaning etc. Personally I stay away from gemstones unless I find them when im out looking for them.

I agree - I mainly try to stay away from them and buy strictly based on metal content.. but I figured it couldn't hurt for me to look into this a bit more and learn a few things. I was hoping one thing I'd learn is that I've found a good buy.. maybe next time!

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2009
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Take the 400 bucks and buy yourself 15 or so ounces of silver bullion and sit on it.When the economy goes you'll have a little something anyway if you dont already.That silver could save your butt,small investment to stay alive isnt it?

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not sure what I said to make you guys think im ignoring anything that was said. I just posted additional information and what my thought process was for considering this deal at all. Some people say don't buy without paperwork - so I requested paperwork from the seller. Some people said they pay by the carat and it would depend on how nice the rings are etc.. So I provided a picture for further input..

If anything, I'm listening to exactly what I am being told and am only asking if new information would by any means make this a worthwhile set. And no, I would not buy it without having the stone information verified by a jeweler. I am cautious about counterfeit pieces and everyone here has put extreme emphasis on that. My main question is if all is as it appears to be and is a best case scenario, could these rings be resold for profit? If the main stone has excellent cut, clarity, and color, would it still not be worth it? If that still would not make it worthwhile then there really isn't a need to investigate the rings any further and declining is the only option. Im only providing additional information because many people said if I don't know, don't buy. I agree with this and am trying to gain the knowledge. As far as an investment goes, most seem to think it isn't worthwhile to resell. I'm in league with that and am just trying to be thorough an make sure in not missing anything.

Oh, :icon_scratch:

So you did not buy it yet ? ??? If not, I'm sorry to stir up the bees nest. I thought you bought it.. :dontknow:
Please forgive me. :notworthy:
Keep @ It and HH !! :hello2:

Omega

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2013
SoCal
Primary Interest:
Other
A half carat stone that is perfect or close to it could be worth a few thousand

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread