Fortune smiled upon me yesterday!

giniro

Jan 14, 2013
Columbus, OH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey guys, it's been a while since I've posted on here but I just had to tell somebody about this. So I've got craigslist notifications set up to let me know when someone posts Magic the gathering cards near me and the other day at work I got one. The posting didn't even mention the N64 games but I texted the guy inquiring about the magic cards and if he was selling the N64 stuff and how much. He told me someone else had made an offer already. I asked how much they offered and he told me $60 and sent me a picture of all the games. So I offered him $90 and said I'd be there in an hour and I'd look through the magic cards and come to a deal on that.

I meet the guy at his townhouse and when he shows me the N64 is working I see he's got a bunch of sega games as well and ask if he's selling those too. He pulls them all out and lays them on the couch. He doesn't mention a price at that point and we move on to the magic cards, I don't even look at them cause he tells me I can just have them. So I look through the games and ask him again. $10 for the sega games, sold! There were some instruction manuals for gameboy games I ask if he's selling those, he throws them in for free. I pay him and as I'm leaving he's like, oh you can have this game gear as well, oh and here's this gameboy game. The guy probably would have given me his TV and his cat for an extra $5 if I'd expressed interest. All said and done, the N64 stuff is worth about $320, the sega games come to about $100, game gear is worth $10, Gameboy game is about $10, and there were about $100 worth of magic cards.
DSCN3183.JPG
I just want to say, if you're the guy I bought this out from under I am sorry. I got lucky, the fact I even saw the listing, coupled with the flexibility of my job that I could just up and leave 2 hours early no problem. I just couldn't pass this up.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice. I'd have been all over that too. Some of those games I'd consider holding to for a while.

OP
OP
G

giniro

Jan 14, 2013
Columbus, OH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Magic cards are a mix of stuff going from as far back as Mercadian Masques up until Rise of Eldrazi, most of it is zendikar block. Highlights from the magic cards: Verdant Catacombs, Orim's Chant, Kor Haven, Rout, Kor Spiritdancer. Aside from the Catacombs most of it was $1-$5 stuff though. Oh, some of them were damaged and smelled like beer, haha accident with drinking magic I'm sure but luckily nothing worth anything was damaged.

OP
OP
G

giniro

Jan 14, 2013
Columbus, OH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
awesome, how do you set up craigslist to notify you those things?
I use craigslist buddy but it's not very reliable. It didn't give me any notifications for months one time. And then sometimes randomly sends notifications for every old listing possible(rather than just new ones it hasn't notified you of yet). Since it texts me that results in like 50 notifications in a row at 3 in the morning every now and then which can be beyond obnoxious. But sometimes it helps!

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
There a a lot of people out there that just sell items they have to get rid of them and if they do not sell then they go to goodwill or some place like that……… They are not like most they are trying to rid them self of what they call to them junk … Then others that are looking to buy there junk to try to make a buck…….. You got a good deal.. You are happy and the seller is happy…….

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Magic cards are a mix of stuff going from as far back as Mercadian Masques up until Rise of Eldrazi, most of it is zendikar block. Highlights from the magic cards: Verdant Catacombs, Orim's Chant, Kor Haven, Rout, Kor Spiritdancer. Aside from the Catacombs most of it was $1-$5 stuff though. Oh, some of them were damaged and smelled like beer, haha accident with drinking magic I'm sure but luckily nothing worth anything was damaged.

wat?

Fushek

Aug 21, 2013
North East Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
Great find ... I love old video games and would have been all over that as well. Gotta love when people are actively giving you stuff on the way out. I've gotten some good stuff that way!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice CL score. Maybe you can help me out. I found some Gameboy games last weekend. 9 in all. 3 of them are Pokemon. Red, Blue and Gold. I think they should sell pretty well, hopefully. I gave $5 for the lot. Question. I found this sold listing on ebay for the same 3 games Pokemon Gold Blue Red Lot Nintendo Gameboy Color Authentic 045496690526 | eBay It mentions batteries? Are there batteries inside of these game cartridges that need to be replaced?

OP
OP
G

giniro

Jan 14, 2013
Columbus, OH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice CL score. Maybe you can help me out. I found some Gameboy games last weekend. 9 in all. 3 of them are Pokemon. Red, Blue and Gold. I think they should sell pretty well, hopefully. I gave $5 for the lot. Question. I found this sold listing on ebay for the same 3 games Pokemon Gold Blue Red Lot Nintendo Gameboy Color Authentic 045496690526 | eBay It mentions batteries? Are there batteries inside of these game cartridges that need to be replaced?

Yeah those games all have batteries in the cart, for red and blue they were exclusively for saving and depending on how often you saved they run out faster, I'd check to see if they can hold a save, some still do but many don't anymore. The battery in gold is almost definitely dead, it was used for keeping track of in game time and possibly also saving. How to replace the battery in a pokemon gold/silver gameboy cart I think the battery and process is the same for red/blue. Should be able to pick the battery(CR2025) up most places, I think I bought mine at a grocery store for $4 for 2 but they'll be like $5 each if you have to resort to radioshack. Pokemon Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald for GBA also have internal batteries for keeping track of ingame time, if they die the game can still be played but timed events don't happen(growing berries). If you ever see copies of Fire Red or Leaf Green with a battery they are fake, those games did not have batteries. That said, your games will still sell if the batteries are dead but for a bit less. Hope that helped.

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah those games all have batteries in the cart, for red and blue they were exclusively for saving and depending on how often you saved they run out faster, I'd check to see if they can hold a save, some still do but many don't anymore. The battery in gold is almost definitely dead, it was used for keeping track of in game time and possibly also saving. How to replace the battery in a pokemon gold/silver gameboy cart I think the battery and process is the same for red/blue. Should be able to pick the battery(CR2025) up most places, I think I bought mine at a grocery store for $4 for 2 but they'll be like $5 each if you have to resort to radioshack. Pokemon Ruby, Sapphire and Emerald for GBA also have internal batteries for keeping track of ingame time, if they die the game can still be played but timed events don't happen(growing berries). If you ever see copies of Fire Red or Leaf Green with a battery they are fake, those games did not have batteries. That said, your games will still sell if the batteries are dead but for a bit less. Hope that helped.
That helped a lot. Now all I have to do is find the box that has the gameboy in it. I don't play video games but I know there is a market for them so I still buy stuff every now and then if it's cheap enough.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread