diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So many items I can post now. A few weeks ago I wenrt to a sale where someone purchased a house with some stuff in it. They were selling and giving away items too. I had other better sounding sales to go to that day so I hit this one on the way home around 10 am. I started picking through 2 big boxes of assorted papers and other ephemera. I noticed there were a lot of Railroad related items in the one box. Long story short, I didn't realize I was picking through the free boxes. There was nothing else at the sale that I wanted. So I the guy I'd feel guilty not buying anything and only taking the free stuff. He laughed and said give me a dollar. So I did. So far I've sold several RR Stock certificates and a book. Running short on time so I'll post the best one for now.

$29.74 WITH THE SHIPPING...

s-l1600.jpg

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
OK, I hit a garage sale that was UNBELIEVABLE. It was in an out of the way corner of Burbank Glendale. Rather hard to get to. My friends and I got there about an hour after the start of the sale and the guy said, "You guys are the first ones here... Weird... Anyhow, Anything you want is $1." I look.

I said, "This 40 inch flat panel LCD Sharp Television? $1?"

He said, "Yep. It has the remote too."

I said, "Sold, how about this Toro Electric Leaf Blower"

he said, "$1."

I said, "Sold, I'll take these 'Gold's Gym dial weights with stand for $1 and these 2 Husky Air Hoses, 100 foot brand new for $1"

Guy says, "Great. Anything else?"

My friend says, "I'll take this new ikea Computer desk and chair for $1"

Guy says, "Good, they're yours. Oh yeah, I've got a Samsung sound tower for that TV, you can have it."

We came close to cleaning him out. I wish I had my minivan with me. He had a nice cubby hole book shelf for $1 and a nice leather recliner for $1. As it was, My son is going to college with a nice TV, and I have a really nice leaf blower and weight set to sell on Craigslist. AMAZING...

Turns out, he wants to move, has to get rid of stuff, and doesn't want to have to haul it to the Goodwill, so if you want it, he'd start at a dollar, and if you negotiated, he'd go down from there...

View attachment 1570778 View attachment 1570784

Sold the TV, Gave my son the $100. He can buy a TV in Oregon.

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this Pink Floyd A Momentary Lapse Of Reason concert tour t-shirt from 1987 at a thrift store yesterday for .99 cents, listed it last night and sold it today for $75 plus shipping. Not bad for less than 24 hours!

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 143
  • s-l16002.jpg
    s-l16002.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 134
OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Speaking of less than 24 hours, I sold this Flli Menegatti sterling bracelet I got for $1 last weekend. $49.99

s-l1600.jpg

rcs

Mar 15, 2017
Western Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
$1 bill with low serial number (00000038) for $46 plus shipping on e-bay. Would have been higher if it wasn't for a tear on the corner.

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Second day of an estate sale, Paid $1.00 for each cd/vinyl LP at an estate sale. Kept the vinyl for myself and sold off this import cd for 60.00.

Elsewhere prices are much higher but this alone turned a large profit and I have many more items to sell

Attachments

• 6230A41C-5D99-4DF9-9163-25B5460DC7C4.jpeg
    6230A41C-5D99-4DF9-9163-25B5460DC7C4.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 195

zombieraccoon

Dec 30, 2017
Mesa AZ / Naselle WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Screenshot_20180525-170908.png

picked up this stack of bracelets for a quarter at a sale this morning. hard to haggle at that price. Sold within a couple hours of posting

Last edited:

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
picked up this stack of bracelets for a quarter at a sale this morning. hard to haggle at that price. Sold within a couple hours of posting[/QUOTE]

How do you test for Bakelite?

zombieraccoon

Dec 30, 2017
Mesa AZ / Naselle WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How do you test for Bakelite?

I use simichrome polish, it turns from pink to yellow when you rub the plastic with it MAAS polish is the same stuff.

When I am out and about, i rub it fairly hard and quickly with my thumb, bakelite and catalin have a very distinct fermaldehyde smell when heated

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use simichrome polish, it turns from pink to yellow when you rub the plastic with it MAAS polish is the same stuff.

When I am out and about, i rub it fairly hard and quickly with my thumb, bakelite and catalin have a very distinct fermaldehyde smell when heated
A tube will last you a lifetime if you only use it to test for bakelite. It's what I use.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So here is a Fenton carnival Peacock plate in white that I got for $1 a while back. Took a best offer of $75 plus shipping recently on it.

s-l1600.jpg

Here is a Wedgwood plate that I got for a buck. It sold in less than 24 hours or close to it, for $39.99 plus shipping.

s-l1600.jpg

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other

Unfortunately, I have no sense of smell, so rubbing won't help, but the polish will. Thanks.

WoodnHead

Mar 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So here is a Fenton carnival Peacock plate in white that I got for $1 a while back. Took a best offer of $75 plus shipping recently on it.

Here is a Wedgwood plate that I got for a buck. It sold in less than 24 hours or close to it, for $39.99 plus shipping.

That Wheel of Fortune plate is great!

zombieraccoon

Dec 30, 2017
Mesa AZ / Naselle WA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately, I have no sense of smell, so rubbing won't help, but the polish will. Thanks.

Then you are going to get stuck on look and feel. Bakelite came in brown and black, all other colors are catalin. they are dense and like silver makes a distinctive sound when clinked on something so do organic plastics. bakelite and catalin will not have mold lines, can have rivets, rhinestones or fittings, and can be carved. It will also never be white as it yellows over time. (there are processes for reconstituting it and making it white again, but you are not likely to see them. There are other valuable plastic jeweleries as well. This article is a good primer.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/chatsworthlady.com/2012/06/21/vintage-plastic-jewelry-what-it-is-and-isnt/amp/

PullTabPete

Jun 14, 2012
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Excal II E-trac EQ 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That wheel of fortune plate is pretty awesome.

I love this thread I like to check it 6 months or so.

I don't really resale much but do keep my eyes out at the thrift shop.

I usually go to thrift store to get books to read can't beat 10 cents a book. I picked up this 50's Florida travel book just because it was I thought it was cool. Kind of rough shape bit it was 10 cents.

I decided a few months later to list it on ebay and it sold for $10 so not a bad markup, I did pay $4 to ship it so only about $5 profit after fees but still fun. cover_small.jpg back.jpg

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every little thing adds up.
I've sold 2 out of the 3 of these little lighters for $7.94 each delivered. Nothing special but they were only about $1 for the 3 of them.

attachment.php

I would recommend buying any and all Tarot decks you run across for cheap. They always sell. Sold this Tarot deck for $39.24 delivered. Cost $1.

s-l1600.jpg

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've sold 2 out of the 3 of these little lighters for $7.94 each delivered. Nothing special but they were only about $1 for the 3 of them.

attachment.php

I would recommend buying any and all Tarot decks you run across for cheap. They always sell. Sold this Tarot deck for $39.24 delivered. Cost $1.

s-l1600.jpg
Last year 2 ladies came into my store and one of them asked if I had some tarot cards. I said no, and she looked at me funny and said “are you sure?” She seemed certain I had some. It was a strange encounter. The very next week I was far from home at a yard sale and bought 7 decks for 10 dollars. Since then I have been waiting for the lady to return. I am about to give up and put them on eBay. I had a feeling they were good sellers. I am uneasy even looking at them, I would rather not know the future. Thanks for the post!! I wish I would have collected more Greatful Dead stuff when I was younger, I spent all my money enjoying the concerts:)

PAdiggertom

Mar 16, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Then you are going to get stuck on look and feel. Bakelite came in brown and black, all other colors are catalin. they are dense and like silver makes a distinctive sound when clinked on something so do organic plastics. bakelite and catalin will not have mold lines, can have rivets, rhinestones or fittings, and can be carved. It will also never be white as it yellows over time. (there are processes for reconstituting it and making it white again, but you are not likely to see them. There are other valuable plastic jeweleries as well. This article is a good primer.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/chatsw...tage-plastic-jewelry-what-it-is-and-isnt/amp/
So they are a plastic?? Someone told me that a way to test for Bakelite is to poke it with a hot needle.. was i told wrong his whole time?

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

attachment.php

s-l1600.jpg

With all the hype from the "Wild Wild Country" documentary, I'm surprised the Rajneesh cards did not sell for more.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread