billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've read where silver and gold have been found at garage/yard sales for pocket change, but in my four years of garage sales, I've only seen someone else's pictures and read their words. Finally, it's happened to me!

The community-wide garage sale was great and the necklace, bracelet, and earrings were found on it's first day.
The lady had the costume jewelry spread out on a card table and there were already "Pickers"
there when I walked up. The prices were even better: Earrings: .25-cents a pair, Necklaces and Bracelets: .50-cents each.

Lots of "Pickers" going through the jewelry spread out on a card table. I "picked" at the first things that caught my eye. Ended up with 13 pair of earrings, a bracelet, and a 16" formed-to-lay-flat V-necklace.
Spent a total of: $4.25 and thought my knees were going to buckle before I could get it all bagged and paid for. 'Still have 12 pair of costume earrings left over, after this is what I pulled out:

Found silver, one set of earrings and one heavy bracelet. 74 grams of Sterling
Found a gold necklace that forms a point in the middle. 15 grams of 14kp gold

The heart dolphins is 14kt and was inside a "Hallmark folding desk and card box" on a table at the monthly flea market.
I looked inside and saw old birthday cards, some elementary and middle school I.D. cards along with a broken necklace stamped .925
and the heart pendant.
The fellow wanted $5, but when I came back about 20 minutes later and offered $3, he said: :Okay, I'll take it for the box and what's inside."
The .925 weighed 6.3 grams. The 14kt heart weighs 1.1 grams. I figure each item cost me $1.00 each.

The .925 ring and pendant cost $1.00 after coming in late to an estate sale on Saturday shown at the bottom right.

Next to last week's solar panel trailer find, the beginning of the month of May has given me enough excitement I may have to start packing DeFib paddles....

Attachments

• Each $1.00 or less 005.JPG
    Each $1.00 or less 005.JPG
    542.8 KB · Views: 237
  • Each $1.00 or less 003.JPG
    Each $1.00 or less 003.JPG
    399.7 KB · Views: 271
Last edited:

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
money still has some value if you know how to use it,nice job billjust bill

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Defib paddles or an extinguisher. You're on fire on the past couple of weeks. I'm pretty sure most people think KP is plated, but i've only scored one piece marked as kp. At $370 melt, you ought to be able to at least get 500 for it.

Butter Hat

Apr 6, 2014
In ur innerwebz
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't actually go looking for items to buy for a dollar but a lot of time when I ask "how much?" that is the response I get. So who's to argue with that, lol. I agree that for someone just starting out on ebay that low dollar items are the way to go especially until you have full access to your paypal funds. As for the Dansk items, I usually buy anything cheap with a Dansk mark, especially if is teak also. Picked up a (Dansk) small cow paperweight and bud vase over the weekend. They don't sell for much but hey, they were .50 each and I will sell them with some others I have as a lot (some day).

I'm still at the looking-for-stuff-for myself stage, though I kept half an eye on re-selling this week. Nothing to resell yet but I did pick up new file folders, wall art, wine glasses, coasters, and a set of sticky notes in a case for about $4 all told.

Maybe next week.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm still at the looking-for-stuff-for myself stage, though I kept half an eye on re-selling this week. Nothing to resell yet but I did pick up new file folders, wall art, wine glasses, coasters, and a set of sticky notes in a case for about $4 all told.

Maybe next week.

Nothing wrong with that. I mainly buy stuff for myself, for my wife, and for my family/friends. It is all a treasure hunt!

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The wife is always buying scented candles and cleaning supplies, among other things for the house. Smart shopping I say.

2ndisbest

Nov 6, 2009
I buy goo be gone every time i see it. A lot of the estate sale companies around me are paranoid about sticker switching, so they use the stickiest hardest to peel stickers they can. Half my time in this hobby is spent cleaning stuff and removing stickers.

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
Aww, thanks. I needed that!
Butter Hat, ditto jerseyben's comments. I buy lots of stuff for re-sale but I have also bought plenty of things for my own use including tools, light bulbs, kitchen canisters, packing and shipping materials, cleaning supplies, liquor, and other stuff I can't think of right now. Most were bought for 10% (or less) than retail price. Not to mention a few antique-y things that I kept just because I liked them. My wife and I have also bought LOTS of New-In-Box items at yard sales that we gave as birthday and Christmas gifts to friends and family. For me, spending less money on things you would normally buy at a retail store is as good as, and in some ways better than, buying things for re-sale.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
I'm another that looks for stuff at estate sales for our home.

I always scan the pantry closet and kitchen for cleaning supplies, and the laundry area for detergent. I once bought a g-i-a-n-t box of Tide powder for $1. That box retailed for $17.99 on sale, plus sales tax of 7%. Last year, I bought a shoe box full of fresh Duracell batteries for $1, and last month, I found a large Ziplock bag of batteries for .50.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nothing wrong with that. I mainly buy stuff for myself, for my wife, and for my family/friends. It is all a treasure hunt!
Me too! I find good stuff. Tools, law equipment, etc. Good thing about yard sale deals is you can almost always get your money back at your yard sale. I re-tiled around my bathtub and cut the tile with a Harbor Freight small table tile saw I got for $25.00. I think I'll have no problem getting my $25 back and may even get a $5 to $10 profit if the right buyer comes by my yard sale.

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just sold this hat for $75 + shipping! Bought a box of 100 hats for $50, this one has alreay payed for the whole thing. Not bad for 50 cents!

20140416_Mbowman_228.jpg

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whiting sterling silver dish or candy dish? I'm going to try to unbend the one lip. It was $1. I was really early to a yard sale and no one was there yet the lady was waiting for her friend to come help set everything out. So I helped her carry everything out and bought a dresser also. but the candy dish she brought out and asked if I was interested because it was her grandmothers. It weighs 2.5 ounces.

image-657719288.jpg

Also is a ring it is Marked 14K sterling. The other side has a name too. I am hoping it's David Yurman. I have not been able to get home to get my loop yet that I forgot this morning. But it was $1 also!

image-2859140411.jpg

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've picked up so many items the last two weeks and haven't been able to post at all because I'm either hitting sales sleeping or working. Today I picked up a 1 gram 14K chain, a small 12k GF heart locket, a pair of small sterling earrings, and a 1.2 gram broken sterling chain for $1 total. Last week $1 got a dainty necklace & pendant (14KGF chain, 10K black hills gold butterfly pendant) that I have listed and has a bid for $39.99+shipping. One thing I get a TON of (that my woman loves) is bottles of lotion. I picked up a ton of brand name moisturizers, creams, body washes, etc for her and the baby that will soon be here. Most that I pick up have never even been opened and I never have had to pay more than $1 - even for large bottles that retail at $7-10. Most of the time they only ask a quarter or I get them thrown in with other purchases I make. I've gotten them out of free boxes a bunch of times as well..

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't actually go looking for items to buy for a dollar but a lot of time when I ask "how much?" that is the response I get. So who's to argue with that, lol. I agree that for someone just starting out on ebay that low dollar items are the way to go especially until you have full access to your paypal funds. As for the Dansk items, I usually buy anything cheap with a Dansk mark, especially if is teak also. Picked up a (Dansk) small cow paperweight and bud vase over the weekend. They don't sell for much but hey, they were .50 each and I will sell them with some others I have as a lot (some day).

Diggummup,

Your comment reminded me of the short conversation between a buyer and the garage sale seller this past weekend. After more than several seasons of garage and estate sales, I can understand the all important dialogue and victory of a good find... half the value of any good garage sale buy is being carried away with some form of adrenalin rush...:tongue3:

A fellow walked up to a 6' circle of books laid out on large blanket. In the center of the circle was the first indication of a fair-minded seller. The sign read: "All books $1". As he looked through the books and their titles, a nearby two-drawer, no-dent, no-scratch, tan colored filing cabinet caught his eye. He turned to the seller and asked, "How mucn for the filing cabinet?"

The seller paused, then replied, "I'll take $3 dollars." The seller paused and said, "Hummmmm, I can't augue with a price like that." And paused again. before saying: "I was hoping you'd say $4 dollars, and then, I'd say THREE and I'd feel like I was getting a good deal."

The lady seller wanted to get rid of the short metal file cabinet, so she said, "OOOOkay, I'll take $4 dollars....."

With a big grin on his face, he pulled out three one dollar bills, paid up, and carried off the filing cabinet.

Last edited:

steif

Mar 2, 2007
lucky break last weekend... 20 inch necklace marked 750, 13.1 grams of 18k... for a dollar. i think i will make a few bucks from that.

In fact i did, i turned it the same day for $330, I know, a bit less than it was worth, but i have the cash and buying other stuff with it now..lol..

Last edited:

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lucky break last weekend... 20 inch necklace marked 750, 13.1 grams of 18k... for a dollar. i think i will make a few bucks from that.

In fact i did, i turned it the same day for $330, I know, a bit less than it was worth, but i have the cash and buying other stuff with it now..lol..

Was it Tiffany by chance? Did you acid test it? Just curious.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions