ugh Thrift Shop gets pro

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All of them will go that way. We just have to adjust and learn new markets. If this TS is big and has 1000s of items daily, then things will be missed. I am having to go to my best TS in the morning and night T-F and skip it during the weekend because I have to try and catch the new stuff when it first comes in. Now, if people start going to the TS less, then prices will drop, but who knows. My goal is to try to only buy items that can be sold for 10x cost right now. unless I think it will sell quickly. HH

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel your frustration. The nearest TS to me has been this way for about a year now. I used to be able to pick up sterling below melt consistently but that's over. They are also asking retail and above retail on many items. My favorite LOL was an oriental ashtray with an original price tag of $1 and their price $4.99.

But I've adjusted to what I look for their. I've been quite lucky with ceramics. They have no idea of what art pottery is. Last week I picked 2 paintings for $6 each. One of them the artist is selling similar for $1200 currently and the other a mid century oil painting that has a value $250-500.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the big stores in my area was purchased along with it's other affiliated outlets. I've noticed all the gold and silver items in that place have just about all dried up and are no longer found in the cases and shelves like before. The in store jewelry lady said they've got knowledgeable people at a central metro location doing the sorting on all the jewelry, silverware and antiques now. I'm thinking we'll see more of these large chain thrift store mergers and acquisitions in the future. Still I have seen some treasure still slip thru the cracks. I travel for my job and I'm telling you some of the best finds for me have come out of small town thrift stores. I hit one close to Aspen, Colo. and the stuff I've found in that place over the years will get your heart rate up.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All of them will go that way. We just have to adjust and learn new markets. If this TS is big and has 1000s of items daily, then things will be missed. I am having to go to my best TS in the morning and night T-F and skip it during the weekend because I have to try and catch the new stuff when it first comes in. Now, if people start going to the TS less, then prices will drop, but who knows. My goal is to try to only buy items that can be sold for 10x cost right now. unless I think it will sell quickly. HH
That's a great outline on TS excavation. For sure there is a strategic method for optimum TS yields. The time to buy is when you see it, discount day or not.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread