Navajo Arnold Maloney Necklace with chain replaced- value?

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got this at the TS tonight for $35. It is signed "M" "Sterling" which is Arnold Maloney's signature. But what I didn't notice is the pendant part is held on with O-rings and the chain is marked 925 on the chain and Itlay and 925 on the lobster claw. The exact necklace sold on Ebay for $40 but they didn't list the silversmith and it was a 7 day auction. The chain in the link below is different.

Sterling Silver Necklace Turquoise Signed M and Sterling Navajo 12" | eBay

I think they sold it too low. Other Maloney comps are much higher for other pieces. Should the replace chain hurt the value? Also is there any way to tell visually what type of turquoise this is?

My Plan is to list it BIN OBO at $149.95 and see what happens. Thank you for your opinion. HH

Attachments

• Maloney 3.jpg
    Maloney 3.jpg
    444.7 KB · Views: 160
  • Maloney 1.jpg
    Maloney 1.jpg
    431.4 KB · Views: 143
  • Maloney 2.jpg
    Maloney 2.jpg
    406.7 KB · Views: 134

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Listing the artist can make all the difference. Start it there and see if you get interest. If it doesnt sell, relist auction for $49.99 or $99.

OP
OP
palidin20603

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ugggggghhhhhh..... Chain is fake! sticks to a magnet! Awesome... I am going to sell and disclose the chain is marked 925 but isn't sterling because it sticks to a magnet. I will now start it at $99 and see what happens.. HH

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ugggggghhhhhh..... Chain is fake! sticks to a magnet! Awesome... I am going to sell and disclose the chain is marked 925 but isn't sterling because it sticks to a magnet. I will now start it at $99 and see what happens.. HH
I just sold a small lot of .925 jewelry pieces as a scrap lot and as I sorted it one chain looked funny and that's when I put a magnet to it. Sure enough that magnet grabbed on it. So I check all of it and find 2 more chains that a magnet stuck too. One was even marked Italy and sure looked like the real deal. It seems that many sterling chains out there are bogus.

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Put a real sterling chain on it or remove the chain altogether. Use the words "shadow box"to describe the pendant. Let us know. PS, make sure you test the piece as well....

OP
OP
palidin20603

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Put a real sterling chain on it or remove the chain altogether. Use the words "shadow box"to describe the pendant. Let us know. PS, make sure you test the piece as well....

No need to test the pendant, it doesn't stick to magnet, has no oder, and has a butterly feel like sterling silverware I have sold had. HH

MRBeyer

Apr 25, 2007
Moses Lake, WA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster and MXT, sluice
While on a buying trip almost all the necklaces I ran across were magnetic. Most were marked Italy and 925. Funny thing is they were all really light so they couldn't have brought much in value when new.

OP
OP
palidin20603

palidin20603

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sold for $50. Oh well, small profit will do. Took the chain off and sold as a pendant

navdoch2o

Greenie
Jan 26, 2013
oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dont' forget a lot of sterling necklaces are marked 925 or sterling but then plated with rhodium to stay nice and shiny. Those will stick to a magnet but its still a sterling silver necklace. I learned that the hard way, threw a LOT of of marked sterling chains away then took some other sterling in to sell. Found one i missed and was going to pull it out when the LCS owner explained the use of rhodium to me and how it will fail a magnet test but still test for 925 if you cut into the chain or clasp.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread