Schweet Schwinn!

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got out in the rain and picked a few things up today...I'll post some other things later but I figured there might be some fans of the rust and muscle bicycles. This is a Schwinn Stingray, 5 speed with a shifter/nut cracker. I wanted one so badly as a kid, back then wheelies were so important.:laughing7:

Condition is pretty rough but looks to be complete. Look at the length of that sissy bar! It will take me a few days to figure out how to sell it or what to do with it, It's too cool for me to ride.

Attachments

• 0419141145.jpg
    0419141145.jpg
    507.5 KB · Views: 175

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup - My friend Billy had a StngnRay 5 speed back in "74" It was the "talk of the block"
Nice find !!!!

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup - My friend Billy had a StngnRay 5 speed back in "74" It was the "talk of the block"
Nice find !!!!

I had a green one.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find. I remember those well!I didn't get my first brand new (bike of any kind) Schwinn until I was around 11 or 12. It was the first year of the mag scrambler.

OP
OP
W

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got started cleaning this beast with degreaser and fine steel wool on the chrome. Amazingly most of the chrome pieces are coming back pretty well with one side of the sissy bar a little far gone. The tires are unused with the mold seams still sticking out down the center line of both tires.

A week or two and I'll show the "after" pictures with nothing more than some hard work put into it. The first rub with the steel wool and a spritz of armor all...

Attachments

• 0421142031.jpg
    0421142031.jpg
    405.5 KB · Views: 61
  • 0421142032.jpg
    0421142032.jpg
    284.4 KB · Views: 66
Last edited:

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the bike. It's a Schwinn stingray fastback in coppertone orange metallic, if you want to get specific. The fastbacks had the single upper bar instead of the double "cantilevered" frame style you see on other stingrays.

The sprocket isn't factory so I would suggest you pick up a "mag" style sprocket on eBay to really make it look nice.

I bought the same bike you have there off eBay, years ago, for about 200 bucks and it was in pieces. The chrome on old schwinns is nearly bulletproof so it cleaned up beautifully, just like yours should.

I'm looking forward to the after pics when you finish!!!

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have any questions about the bike, shoot me a message. I could help you with the parts or some kind of a value if you want to sell

OP
OP
W

war-digs-it

Feb 16, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you have any questions about the bike, shoot me a message. I could help you with the parts or some kind of a value if you want to sell
Thank you! I'll be in touch, doing some real basic cleaning and evaluation of the condition and missing bolts and such right now. So far I have a shiny rim and have been shooting WD down the cables before I try to move them.

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are going to be spots on the bike were steel wool and your child's small fingers won't be able to reach. I recommend a hardware or paint store so you can pick up some brass bristle brushes. It will remove light rust and not scratch the chrome. Other then that, turtle wax and 0000 steel wool are the way to go. I've cleaned up hundreds of schwinns and that combo is the best

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread