tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this old pocket watch at the ts in the all things made of wood aisle. It was the dial that caught my eye on my 2nd pass of exploration through the store. The mini grandfather clock is a hand built wood project. The watch is a common Elgin mod. 313, 16sz, 15j, c1918 and it does run. the 14k gf 20 year case is worn well and the dial has some hairline cracks, but for 4 bucks I'm not at all disappointed.
[ELGIN] Online Elgin Database

Attachments

• clock 1.jpg
    clock 1.jpg
    713.3 KB · Views: 102
  • clock 2.jpg
    clock 2.jpg
    741.6 KB · Views: 91
  • clock 3.jpg
    clock 3.jpg
    766.2 KB · Views: 120
  • clock 4.jpg
    clock 4.jpg
    879.5 KB · Views: 114

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cool find,i never knew they did that thanks for sharing

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find! Nice looking movement too!
Indeed! It's from the time American watch makers and other US manufactures did all the extra workmanship with top of the line materials and very skilled people of trade to impress prospective customers. So sad we don't expect that kind of thing anymore. As longs as it's cheap, that good enough and why on earth would you want something that will run for generation??... Now it's make it cheap with crap plastic, sell it for a big margin, quickly out date it & then you the consumer trash it at max before 3 years. Then do it all again starting with the help of cheap overseas labor. And we think we're a civilized society.:dontknow:

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes tamroc your right but look at the market that junk has made for us pickers.when i find old stuff it sells pretty quick

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are fewer and fewer gold, gold filled, silver cases every year more and more are scrapped!
i know. I scrapped all the older GF watch cases I could dismantle when gold was way up. This thing looks good on my desk, but I think it may sell well with the watch and presentation stand together.

OP
OP
tamrock

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yes tamroc your right but look at the market that junk has made for us pickers.when i find old stuff it sells pretty quick
You got that rite. I'm shopping for a new dish washers as this Kenmore I got is only 3 years and all the plastic is busting on it and it never could out clean the dishes better then the one I replaced. Kenmore isn't the stuff my parents purchased years ago, but we don't pick many appliances I don't think.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good eyes to spy that one. That little cabinet for it is too cool. You going to sell them separately or keep them together? I think you may do well to split them apart. Someone may want that case for their own pocket watch they already have. Nice find, thanks for sharing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread